Howdy, Stranger!
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Categories
- All Categories 13.8K
- General Category 10.9K
- General Announcements 184
- Faith Issues 3.4K
- Coptic Orthodox Church 2.5K
- Personal Issues 1.4K
- Prayer Requests 426
- Random Issues 1.8K
- Introductions 295
- Non-Orthodox Inquiries 232
- Youth Corner 606
- Hymns 2.6K
- Hymns Discussion 2.6K
- Technicial Difficulties 368
- Technical Topics 368
Placement of Icons on the Church
Does anyone know where I can find info on what Icons are placed where in the church.
Thanks,
George
Thanks,
George

Comments
In Christ
Theophilus
Anywhere where the Congrigation sits you can put any Icons of any saints.
So far I know is that there is one time in the year (I think it's Abghalibsees) that we make a circuit around the church, stopping at specific Icons and sing certain hymns. Before this can be done properly the icons have to be in the right order. This much information can be found (I think) in the Bright Saturday book, but I'm interested in finding out if there is more to it.
The Icons on the Iconostasis are somewhat more obvious, but I think there is an arrangement for a full Iconostasis that has three Icons to the far left including Archangel Michael (I think). Of course there is always an Icon of St. Mary with Jesus immediately to the left of the altar, and a picture of Christ immediately to the right. I think the full Iconostasis has three other Icons to the far right. Of course there is a picture of the Passover overhead along with the icons of the twelve Disciples (minus Judas plus Matthias) and one or three ostrich eggs.
I don't know weather there is anything specific inside the altar. I'm not even sure there is a specific arrangement of the Icons on the seat of the chalice, though I would expect there to be some.
I'm interested in cleaning up my knowledge of these things.
I know that all this hasn't been declared as requirements to perform the liturgy of the Eucharist, but that raises my other curiosity. What are the minimums?
I think the seat of the chalice is a must along with the sanctified utensils. There needs to be bread, but I don't know if there strictly needs to be a basket to present the bread to the Priest. There needs to be grape wine, but I don’t know if it needs to be kosher, though I am pretty sure it needs to be red (definitely no sake :P), and I'm pretty sure there needs to be water for the baptism of the chosen qurban and to mix with the wine. There needs to be a Priest (or higher). I think there needs to be one deacon (psaltos, agnostos, epidiakon, OR diakon), and one layman. I don’t know if candles are an absolute requirement, or if being indoors is a requirement, but I’m pretty sure the altar needs to be raised up somehow though not necessarily a permanently sanctified altar.
I’ll share what I find out.
I'll post what I learn from Abouna's book.
So far I know is that there is one time in the year (I think it's Abghalibsees) that we make a circuit around the church, stopping at specific Icons and sing certain hymns. Before this can be done properly the icons have to be in the right order. This much information can be found (I think) in the Bright Saturday book, but I'm interested in finding out if there is more to it.
I think you may mean Palm Sunday along with the two Feasts of the Cross, rather than Bright Saturday :) And thanks for the post!
That helps narrow it down a bit. :D
George
requirements can be lessoned in prison, famine, when hiding in caves etc etc. it is the consecration which is important.
i'm not sure about the minimum no. of candles.
my church rents an anglican church building (is like episcopal church) so we usually only have 1 or 2 icons and no iconostasis. we don't notice the lack of icons as our priest prays with such passion, care and devotion that we easily focus on the liturgy.
we have lovely icon pictures on the projector. our sister churches in the area have excellent icons, so its not far for us to travel to venerate some.
i'm pretty sure it's allowed to have liturgy without icons if you don't have any.
That is interesting...
don't know if they have to get it made specially
:)