Epiphany Paramoun

pp
edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
With seafood or without seafood?

Comments

• 7aram 3alek, we just fasted 43 days with seafood lol
    no, paramouns are always fishless, and when not in a weekend, it's strict abstinence!
  • [quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=7566.msg99404#msg99404 date=1232233082]
    no, paramouns are always fishless, and when not in a weekend, it's strict abstinence!

Funny, I recently had this conversation with a friend about the strict abstinences mo3do3. So paramoun is 3 days as you all know (friday, saturday, and sunday). And as you said, we fast strictly but not on the weekend. Well.. in most churches, there is odas on friday.. so we still fast strictly? We can't on Saturday or Sunday.. so that leaves Friday.. and since there is odas (and communion) that means we shouldn't fast Friday either? Then where does the whole "strict abstinences" come from?
    What do you think?  :)

Peace,
    Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc
  • [quote author=Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc link=topic=7566.msg99407#msg99407 date=1232245209]
    [quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=7566.msg99404#msg99404 date=1232233082]

Funny, I recently had this conversation with a friend about the strict abstinences mo3do3. So paramoun is 3 days as you all know (friday, saturday, and sunday). And as you said, we fast strictly but not on the weekend. Well.. in most churches, there is odas on friday.. so we still fast strictly? We can't on Saturday or Sunday.. so that leaves Friday.. and since there is odas (and communion) that means we shouldn't fast Friday either? Then where does the whole "strict abstinences" come from?

Peace,
    Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc

lol...what he means is it's a first-degree fast. which is like lent.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7566.msg99409#msg99409 date=1232247830]
    [quote author=Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc link=topic=7566.msg99407#msg99407 date=1232245209]

Peace,
    Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc

i thought we fast in the mornings during paramoun.. thats what i thought strict abstinences meant
  • [quote author=Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc link=topic=7566.msg99410#msg99410 date=1232249481]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=7566.msg99409#msg99409 date=1232247830]
    [quote author=Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc link=topic=7566.msg99407#msg99407 date=1232245209]

Peace,
    Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc

i thought we fast in the mornings during paramoun.. thats what i thought strict abstinences meant

well...think about it. A first degree fast comes with late liturgies. but as you said before, in our case this year, that is only a possibility on friday because weekends general rites would not be broken.
  • I think I heard anba Rafail say in one of his sermons that you can continue your fast after you take communion. Communion is like a juwel that enters your body, it's not like a meal that breaks ur fast. So in that case friday you could attend the liturgy (and if it's not a late liturgy) you can still keep fasting till whatever time you want.