ALL SINS ARE EQUAL

Hi, I was reading the post on Homosexuality and the tolerance in the Church, and in the last page, a whole bunch of people started saying that not all sins are equal, so, to rasiie to your attention that ALL SINS ARE EQUAL, please listen to the Sermon by H.H. and then you can correct me and tell me if i have said anything wrong.

SERMON HERE : Sermon by H.H. Pope Shenouda: Repent O My Soul

Comments

• [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=7197.msg95393#msg95393 date=1223705186]
    Hi, I was reading the post on Homosexuality and the tolerance in the Church, and in the last page, a whole bunch of people started saying that not all sins are equal, so, to rasiie to your attention that ALL SINS ARE EQUAL, please listen to the Sermon by H.H. and then you can correct me and tell me if i have said anything wrong.

SERMON HERE : Sermon by H.H. Pope Shenouda: Repent O My Soul

i don't think we said anything against this... that's why it a while to get to a clear answer.

go read ALL the replies concerning this...
  • i think he's reffering to the post that was posted by Clay on page 10 under the topic of 'Homosexuality and the tolerance in the Church'.. right???
  • oh wait...minagir is right.. later on, they actually come to the decision that sins are in-equal..sorry
  • [quote author=Trinity+ link=topic=7197.msg95425#msg95425 date=1223786760]
    i think he's reffering to the post that was posted by Clay on page 10 under the topic of 'Homosexuality and the tolerance in the Church'.. right???

yes, i was refering to that one....
  • i don't know arabic well enough to understand his sermon. but, i don't think all sins are equal. all sins are equal in the sense that all sins deserve infinite punishment. but i think it is clear from the bible that not all sins are as bad as each other.

for example, moses taught the israelites to give "eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." Moses was trying to prevent them from giving two eyes and arm for an eye; in other words, they were extremely vengeful people and repayed others 10 times. God was trying to keep them from the greater sin, because they're hard hearts were too hard to follow the whole commandments of God: "love your enemies, do good to those who hate you."

for another example, Lot told the people of Sodom to have sex with women. why, because he was trying to save them from the greater sin of homosexuality. having sex outside of marriage with a women is definitely also a sin, just not as bad.
  • all sins are equal in their result, like a bad word or a lie and comiting adultery would still end up getting the person in the same place.... , Jesus said in Matthew 5:22 if someone calls their brother a fool he deserves the fires of hell. But also if some one commits a murder, he would still go to hell, the result is the same....  so if they are all equal in the result, they are just as bad as each other and therefore, ultimatly, all equal.....  right? please correct me if i am wrong....
  • As I mentioned in the other post- it is quite explicit that the suffering in this "same place" is quite different between different sinners, according to their sins.