confession

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
when would aboun decide that ur sins should not be forgiven in confession.

Comments

• Abouna is obliged to give you absolution, no matter what.
  • [quote author=Severus link=topic=6925.msg92684#msg92684 date=1215999791]
    Abouna is obliged to give you absolution, no matter what.

H dosn't always give absolution right away thou....    like you confess a sin, Hetells you go do something (regarding that sin) then you go to Him for Absolution..... 

e.x.: YOu tell abouna you got somebody mad, and lost your temper......    He tells you: Go apologise for that person..... then you go after you have apologised to take the Absolution from Abouna.....
  • I did not mention when, I just mentioned that he has to.
  • he does not have to... he cant just absolute you, if you're not willing to change! 
  • No, he doesn't have to pray the Absolution. If someone goes to him and says, I stole. I don't feel bad for what I did, but I know it's wrong. The point of absolution is to pray to God to forgive your sins. However, confession doesn't work without repentance. Abouna only prays the absolution when the person REGRETS his sin. Otherwise, he doesn't pray the absolution until the person repents or regrets and weeps for what he's done.

A common statement that I hear from people is that the Priest only prays for you so that God forgives you. This is wrong. God forgives sins but the clergy decide whether this will be forgiven or not. In other words, if Abouna prays the absolution and tells me my sins are forgiven, God is obliged to forgive whether or not that person should be forgiven. However, if a priest doesn't say your sins are forgiven, likewise God will also hold it againist you.

As for your question Godislove, the priests usually only say that your sins should not be forgiven when you haven't repented and regretted your wrong-doing or if possible, make the wrong you've done, right as given in the example by Coptic Pharaoh.

PK
  • "And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.” (John 20:22-3)

"And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven" (Matthew 16:19)

The above verses show that the priest has the authority to forgive or not forgive sins, but we must not forget that the priest will be responsible in heaven for the choices that he makes, and if he did not give you the absolution when you are truly penitent, then God will judge him for this. However I have never met a priest who has refused me absolution, but they may ask you to do certain exercises or restore something you stole etc. before giving you absolution.

pray for me

joe

• Interesting. This goes in contrary to what is being taught in Sunday Schools.

Anyone care to explain why?
  • Which Sunday schools? The verses (at least to my eyes) suggest that it is possible for a priest to refuse to give the absolution... can an authoritative voice confirm or reject this?
  • priest has the authority to forgive or not forgive sins,

forgive me but i have to mention this... NO ONE HAS THE AUTHORITY TO FORGIVE SINS... BUT GOD, AND GOD ALONE!

the priest binds or unbinds sins through the absolution then God will forgive the sins... through the absolution the Priest asks God to forgive sins!

sorry again!
  • No need to be sorry, you are completely correct.

Can someone verify if the priest can or cannot refuse to give someone the Absolution? The verses seem to suggest he can...

pray for me

joe
  • Yes, the priest can refuse to give the absolution for however long he deems appropriate. If he feels the confessor needs time to learn and repent and grow stronger, he will tell him to go do x and y things before he gives the absolution. It has happened to me so yes, this is true.
  • Specifically, Cleveland, OH. It was said that the clergy member MUST give absolution.

Interesting.
  • I'm sorry Severus, but I also went and checked with my FoC, and was told that a priest can refuse to give absolution (as shown in the verses above), but he will be judged by God for that decision.

pray for me

joe 
  • Yes, that makes sense. Likewise it is with priests that give communion, forgive me for the word, carelessly.
  • even though abouna may bless you and such, he can punish you in any way that God approves so that this punishment can give you a lesson about right from wrong.

/
    mahraeel
    plzz p4m sister in Christ