Torture in Abu Fana monastery!!!

Comments

• Sorry Joseph, but I don't think we should be saying that Islam is a tool of the devil...
    In my opinion this is not what we should be saying as good christians + don't forget that there are also good muslims in Egypt who also criticize the unfair treatment of the copts by the government. I humbly suggest that we should say that some people, have let the devil into their hearts. The devil who must be furious when he sees the faith and love of us the christians. And yes we should turn the other cheeck because we trust in God and not in an earthly vengeance. (However there's nothing wrong with fighting for our rights in a legal way).
    I know what you guys feel though, I had to cry from the video I saw in which the monk was screaming in pain, it was so touching. But I also felt extreme rage at what's happening and I really want to do something about it. But again I have to say that all of us underestimate the power of prayer and the power of God.
    You, yourselves have said, our church has always been subject to persecution, Romans, Byzantines, Arabs, Turks,... but have you ever seen a church so blessed with so many good people and saints. The coptic church is still here after all these years of persecutions and it still will be because we know that God is with us :

I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.” (Matt. 16:18b).

11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. (Matt 15)

"The LORD will fight for you while you keep silent." (Exodus 14:14)

• Your absolutely right, godislove260, I shouldn't have made that comment

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6685.msg89894#msg89894 date=1213025596]
    Your absolutely right, godislove260, I shouldn't have made that comment

pray for me

joe

CHange your name, your address, use QT_PA_3T. Don't walk home alone, and never answer the phone from now on Joe if the number is hidden.
  • Hahahahah  ;D

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6685.msg89888#msg89888 date=1213013659]
    This is so sad.

What do we do???

What does a Christian do? Turn the cheek? Do we turn the cheek?

Its infuriating. This story has saddened everyone here in France. Especially this monastery being so old and historic, it dates back to the 500/600 AD. Its a living museum.

The government in Egypt is unjust. They are useless. They are biased towards muslims. I know the Church is happy to forgive, and the monks too, but i don't know if God wants us to be so weak in front of these people.

Its very hurtful. If they were robbers, then fine. But just attacking a bunch of monks in the middle of the desert is really low.
      week infront of all these people...???  what on earth do you think JESUS did....THE GOD of GODs.....  THE CREATOR OF  THE WORLD.....  ONE WITH THE FATHER... came in  a MANGER.... and had people SPIT, on Him,  SLAP Him, Hit, him, WHIP  Him, KILL HIM, but not just any death.....  the lowliest death anybody can wish for... even cutting the head , or gettting hung was more honourable.....    and that is the GOD OF GODS  we are talking about..........    don't you think HE  WOULD HAVE LOOKED A LITTLE BIT WEAK??????  infront of all the people...
    and HE even SAID " FORGIVE THEM FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO" ....  THe GOD OF GODS FORGAVE THE PEOPLE WHO GAVE HIM THE MOST LOW AND DIS-HONOURABLE DEATH ANYBODY COULD EVER WISH FOR....   

now... don't you think we should do something like that......    He forgave them, and they killed HIM........ then we should forgive too, and nobody was killed.. (NOSHKOR RABENA)
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6685.msg89893#msg89893 date=1213025255]

I know what you guys feel though, I had to cry from the video I saw in which the monk was screaming in pain, it was so touching.

where did you get a video... can you please send me the link, if psible (if it is on the net)??
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6685.msg89732#msg89732 date=1212861301]
    I was wondering on your opinions on this: You may know that in Egypt they have reconciliation meetings (basically the two sides: the coptic victims and the muslim cleric) sit side by side and give eachother hands and pictures are taken and then everything is fine. It's of course just the way of the government to ignore the problems of unequeal treatment of copts and of the persecution they face. Now many monks refuse to have such a reconciliation meeting until they have their rights back and justice is done.

Yet many people have comments on this: they say if you're truly christinas you have to reconcile and forgive... But I wonder: shouldn't we stand up for our rights and defend justice, aren't we called upon to be the light of the world??? (defend our rights in a non violent and legal way of course..)

I would like to hear your opinions on this thanks in advance
    God Bless
    Please pray for me, a sinner

There is a time to turn the other cheek and there is a time to stand up for yourself like Christ did
    he was slapped and he said why have you slapped me? have i said something wrong? if i have tell me and if i have not please dont hit me
  • I haven't read the whole disscusion.  However, I have heard about dear abu Fana.
    Rabana strength the monks in the faith.  we yeshfehom!

I know the whole reason that all this started was the monestary wanted a wall "soor" that would go around the monestary for protection of the monks and the churchs.  and the ppl who lived around the monestary didn't want el soor (which doesn't make sense).

What is the story of Abu Fana?

Ya Abu fana your monetary needs you!!!! Show them who is the true god! Show them how kind our god is!
    salawatak ya Abu Fana

pray for me,
    bentBABAyasooa`
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6685.msg89962#msg89962 date=1213047034]
    [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6685.msg89893#msg89893 date=1213025255]

I know what you guys feel though, I had to cry from the video I saw in which the monk was screaming in pain, it was so touching.

where did you get a video... can you please send me the link, if psible (if it is on the net)??

I saw it on a website, but they don't seem to be on there anymore, but there's also a group on facebook which has a video    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14449224484

God bless
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6685.msg89858#msg89858 date=1212983951]
    How was that guy killed thou???   in the news article, it said there was one of the attackers that got killed.... who killed him?? probably not monks... so who is it???

From reading this article it appears to be that the “victim K'alil" was told by some monks that they will take the east side of the land and add it to the monastery although it belongs to the Arabs. Then the Arabs attacked and asked him to destroy the wall. While doing so some monks appeared as well as the head of the construction guy with weapons and guns and shot him so he was dead.
    what is crazy is that they accuse the head Muslim guy of the area,who tried to get the monks out of prisons, that he was prided with 2 million dollars from the monastery so they don't get charged the monks as murders. Not only that but that the area was in peace until the monks came and settled and took the land from the arabs. Furthermore, they claim that the monks were the first to start the fight and as monks they did not come to pray but to fight carrying all those weapons with them.  The wife & the mother of K’alil wants those who shot him " the monks as they claim" be punished only by being Executed.

This is truly unbelievable. if you can read Arabic please visit that link.

http://www.copticmc.org/100608/elmasry elyom 100608 03.pdf

Plz Pray for me
  • [quote author=SaintaMaria05 link=topic=6685.msg90051#msg90051 date=1213128565]
    From reading this article it appears to be that the “victim K'alil" was told by some monks that they will take the east side of the land and add it to the monastery although it belongs to the Arabs. Then the Arabs attacked and asked him to destroy the wall. While doing so some monks appeared as well as the head of the construction guy with weapons and guns and shot him so he was dead.

Where on earth does a monastery have weapons from?!!?!

[quote author=SaintaMaria05 link=topic=6685.msg90051#msg90051 date=1213128565]what is crazy is that they accuse the head Muslim guy of the area,who tried to get the monks out of prisons, that he was prided with 2 million dollars from the monastery so they don't get charged the monks as murders.

Where would a poor monastery like Abu-Fana get 2 million egyptian pounds? And then bribery by monks??!!?!

[quote author=SaintaMaria05 link=topic=6685.msg90051#msg90051 date=1213128565]Not only that but that the area was in peace until the monks came and settled and took the land from the arabs.

Thats ridiculous, the monastery has been attacked 18 times before.

[quote author=SaintaMaria05 link=topic=6685.msg90051#msg90051 date=1213128565]Furthermore, they claim that the monks were the first to start the fight and as monks they did not come to pray but to fight carrying all those weapons with them.  The wife & the mother of K’alil wants those who shot him " the monks as they claim" be punished only by being Executed.

If the lies get bigger, they'll be teaching the devil himself.

pray for me

joe
  • Joe this article was taking directly from the newspaper el masry el youam “Egyptian today". I received an email with many other links to many articles in very popular news papers that also are saying lies, simply nothing more then lies.

In case anyone is interested I can post the links later. Unfortunately this will cause lots of problems since people tend to listen to the media more then anything else.

Rabina mawgood

Plz pray for me
  • The Facebook group is really good.
    There is a good video called "The Complete Story as told by Father Maximus" hear it
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14449224484

and the Watani article
    http://www.wataninet.com/article_en.asp?ArticleID=19044

I think the most disgusting thing is the injustice... I mean for the monks to get tortured, Christ says its a blessing... but for accusing the monks of murdering?!?? Thats just wrong!!

Calling it "the incident was an “exchange of fire” between the two parties “over a land dispute”" is just WRONG! And the lies in the newspapers are soo disgusting too.

Christ was crucified as a criminal.. YES... but the truth still prevailed.. to the extent that the right hand theif believed... so why doesn't justice and truth prevail?

Ohh.. and to answer your questoin
    [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=topic=6685.msg89982#msg89982 date=1213066164]

Abu Fana is actually Coptic for Abu Sefien .. So Fana means Sefein in Coptic
    So may Philopateer Mercurios Abu Sefein help his monastery and monks

GodBless
    Pray for me
  • Excellent post bilious and thanks for mentioning the facebook group.

pray for me

joe

• [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=topic=6685.msg89982#msg89982 date=1213066164]

GodBless
    Pray for me

There is a saint named Abu Fana I have his movie...
  • I thought that Abu Fana was arabic for St Epiphanios, but perhaps i'm misinformed ??? ;D
  • Let me summarize it for you Its not in a lot of detail.

He was born into a rich christian family . When he was 22 his parents passed away and he sold all his riches and went to become a monk.  He became a monk and he performed many miracles. He was head of the monastery. He passed away and went to heaven. If i remember anything else i will post it.. Sorry its so short.
  • Hmmmm... OK.. maybe im confused... is there a story in the synexarium?

[quote author=Loca4Christ link=topic=6685.msg90271#msg90271 date=1213204296]
    [quote author=billious link=topic=6685.msg90266#msg90266 date=1213202944]
    Ohh.. and to answer your questoin
    [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=topic=6685.msg89982#msg89982 date=1213066164]

GodBless
    Pray for me

There is a saint named Abu Fana I have his movie...

• Sorry I tried to find out his story in more detail..I will keep on trying.

I know I can be confusing
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6685.msg89328#msg89328 date=1212522128]
    Please pray for the monks at Abu Fana monastery in El Menia, Egypt.
    Two days ago some people attacked the monastery. They destroyed the buildings there, inlcuding a church. The kidnapped three monks and tortured them during 12 hours. They SMASHED one of the monks' legs into pieces and also his arm. They shot at the monks and people present at the monastery. They humiliated the monks by hanging them on a tree and hitting with a whip. They also tried to force them to spit on the cross and to leave christianity. The police didn't show up until 3 hours later when all the damage had been done already, although the police station was only 2 km away !!!

Afterwards the monks had to be carried to hospital since not one ambulance showed up, the hospital refused to admit them and look after them. The had to be moved to another hospital in Cairo where they would treat them. In the meantime the monks lay on the floor bleeding from their many wounds caused by firearms and from the braking of their bones.

Until now, none of the people who did this were captured, although it is known who did it.

I wanted to share with you this: the monk who got beaten up the worst and had his bones smashed said he was happy that he got to suffer for the name of the Lord. "Blessed are you when they persecute you for My sake"...

We can learn so much from these monks, who although being innocent and unarmed, were attacked by barbarians whom I'm not sure can be called humans anymore. These monks are strong in the faith and rejoicing and thanking God. Hopefully we can learn from them, that in our weakness, His strength is shown and that all the problems and suffering we might face here on earth are but a twinkling of an eye compared to the eternal life God has prepared for His sons and daughters.

Please remember our brothers and sisters in Egypt who suffer under persecution.
    We know that our lives are in the hands of the Lord.
    God Bless

Finally found some online news articles about the attack on Abu Fana Monastery. Everyone has a different story! They hardly even mention the Monks injury's?! Now H.H. Pope Shenouda III has a broken thigh! The Devil is attacking! In Jesus Christ's name we will overcome. The victory is ours through our Lord and Savior!!!
    Thank you for the post 'godislove260'.
  • No problem elsi, by the way if anyone has info on Abu Fana (the saint) plz let him post it..

God Bless
    Please pray for me
  • I just remembered this beautiful thing that our beloved pope said once when there were difficulty's the church was facing, but I believe it can be applied on life in general:

'In my mind, I have many things to say, and in my heart, even more
    yet I prefer to remain silent, I prefer to prefer to remain silent so God can talk
    God hears our silence and knows what we go through, all of our tribulations'

(translated by me  but it sounds so much better in arabic
    Fi zehni kalamon katheeron le2akoloh, wa fe qalbi kalamon akthar men zalek
    wa lakenni ofadel an asmot, wa ana ofadel an asmot lekay yatakalam allah
    wa al rab yasma3 el samt we yafahm kol ma3aneh we ya3ref ma no3anih

God bless our pope and protect him and stand by his side in his troubles
    Please pray for me , a sinner
  • Here is the story of Abu Fana. I watched the movie and wrote down what happened. I hope you dont get confused.

Abu Fana was born in Menf to a rich christian family. His parents always had feasts for the poor. They gave to the poor. His parents raised him in a christianly manner. When he was a teenager he didnt do what teenagers did.( Watch two boys wrestle). He desired to become a monk when he was a teen. He started going to a monastery in Hermapolis to learn more about God. When his parents passed away he gave all his riches to the poor and went to the monastery. He was 22 when he became a monk. He decided to live in El maghara el fel gabal el gharbey. The head of the monastery warned him of this place. It had no water nor light.He did 600 metanios a day. 300 in the morning and 300 at night. God sent him water. Everybody started to notice he was a saint.When the monks knew about himthey started to visit him and Abu Fana used to talk to them about God. The head of the monastery got old and ill. So he passed away. Abu Fana became head of the monastery.

Abu Fana told his disciple Abraam to throw 3 rocks in the water. The third rock floated .Abu Fana was trying to tell his disciple that God holds our pain. Once there was a girl that her hand was broken so Abu Fana was able to heal her.

There was this man that had 2000 dinars and wanted to travel with his merchandise but couldnt travel the same day. The man did not know anywhere to stay for the night. So he met a man on the street and told him the story. So the man agreed to let him stay for the night. The man got the merchandise man drunk and killed him at night and threw him in front of a monk's alleya. Then the monks got Abu Fana and Abu Fana let the man rise from the dead and say what happened. Then the man died again. The monks got everything straightened out.

Another time there was once a priest with a whole bunch of monks in front of Abu Fana's alleya and they needed food. So Abraam was thinking in his head that where were they going to get enough food for all these monks. So after they all ate there were leftovers. The priest stayed with the monks. He sinned so GOd made him blind and made him paralyzed so Abu Fana prayed for him and he got healed.

Another time people took a demon possessed man to Abu Fana. And Abu Fana cast away the demon.

Abu Fana ate once in a while. When he ate he used to eat a little piece of bread with salt. There was a famine in parts of Egypt and Abu Fana found out so he prayed to God. The angel appeared to Abu Fana and said these people have sinned against God. Abu Fana responded please forgive them their trespasses. Then Abu Fana and some of the monks went for a walk. The fruit was so dry. Abu Fana prayed to God again. And it started to rain so the crops would grow.

There were people waiting for Abu Fana outside his alleya. Then a man's son ran away and climbed a rock the boy fell down and died. Abu Fana came out and prayed to God and the boy woke up from the dead.

On January 19 Abba Theodosius passed away. That was the same day Abu Fana got sick. Before Abu Fana passed away God appeared to him and told him that he was gping to be in the Heavenly Jerusalem. Abu Fana told Abraam his disciple to tell Abouna and the rest of the monks. They had a prayer service. Abu Fana then passed away to Heavenly Jerusalem.
    [center]May his prayers be with us all. Amen[/center]
  • Thanks very much Loca4Christ...

God Bless
    Please pray for me, a sinner
  • Glad to help. :)
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6685.msg90575#msg90575 date=1213307207]
    I just remembered this beautiful thing that our beloved pope said once when there were difficulty's the church was facing, but I believe it can be applied on life in general:

'In my mind, I have many things to say, and in my heart, even more
    yet I prefer to remain silent, I prefer to prefer to remain silent so God can talk
    God hears our silence and knows what we go through, all of our tribulations'

(translated by me  but it sounds so much better in arabic
    Fi zehni kalamon katheeron le2akoloh, wa fe qalbi kalamon akthar men zalek
    wa lakenni ofadel an asmot, wa ana ofadel an asmot lekay yatakalam allah
    wa al rab yasma3 el samt we yafahm kol ma3aneh we ya3ref ma no3anih

God bless our pope and protect him and stand by his side in his troubles
    Please pray for me , a sinner

DUDE!!!!
    I soooooooooooooo heard that!! I think it was like during the last odas el 3ead fe el wa3za! :)
    and ppl cheered when he said that :) I love pope shenoda!

:D I WAS BORN ON THE SAME DAY HE WAS BORN ON :D LUCKY MEEEE :D
    so that means the birthday is very close!!! go break your piggy banks and buy me and H.H.  a nice present :D

bentBABAyasooa`
  • Loca4Christ,
    thank you sooooooooooo much for the story!
  • No problem
  • very nice story....
  • Bentbabayasso3

I'm so buying both of you presents. :P

When are your birthdays