Church Do-It-Yourself

2»

Comments

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6633.msg89423#msg89423 date=1212610307]
    [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6633.msg89420#msg89420 date=1212608567]
    [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=6633.msg89399#msg89399 date=1212585337]
    You should become a Priest! I'm sure you would do a better job than the present clergy!

HAHAHAHAHAHAH Vas as a priest  :P lol that will be the day  ::) (lol Vas you know what I mean)

Hi Elsi,

I totally agree with Joegabriel here. I mean, if I were a priest, I don't know what I'd do, but there's definately better than me. I mean, Hezekiel is pretty good. Hizz-Child would NEVER confess to me by the way (which would break my heart), Orthodox11 is a saint (REALLY A SAINT!), there's Matt (from Holand) he's a saint, Minagir is now from SHobra so he's got that spiritual touch now, so he'd be a good priest.

If I were a priest, I'd stop joking around. Really guys. I know I can be sarcastic, and I doubt that I'd change, but I'd definately stop saying jokes.  I'd GO CRAZY if anyone was making noise duing mass. I would be involved with the youth. I'd go and visit those that don't come. (Seriously Joe, I would do that). I'd go and visit the girl that loves to eat a lot. I'd really pay visits to her. In fact, I'd have her number on speed dial. Whenever I'm hungry, i'd just call her up to see if she was OK, and tell her that I'm coming to pass by to see her anyway. (No.. seriously, I WOULD DO THAT... and what's the shame in that??? Am i NOT assisting her in her affliction?? She has a problem.. perhaps if I ate with her, and I consumed the food for her, it would help her?? - Kill two birds with ONE stone!!).

I probably wouldn't talk much though if I was a priest.. i mean... the more I write on these forums, the more I realise how ignorant I am.. and how much others know more than me.. so I'd read a lot about something before talking.. (i would NEVER SAY my opinion - ever).

Having said that, I think I would be capable of seeing what is holy and what is NOT holy. I mean.. the topic of "laugh uncontrollably, and do not regret your past" - if I heard anyone say this in my church, i'd be quick to correct it. I WOULD HAVE NO PROTESTANT IDEOLOGY IN MY CHURCH. EVER.

I'd explain the importance of the Agpeya. I'd make the little children pray from all the agpeya for matins... I would!! I'd make a competition for the under 10's to see which one could learn the Psalms off by heart. Really - I would!!!

I wouldn't let ANYONE kiss my hand unless they are from Shoubra. Because, look:
    Egyptians DEIFY priests. When an Egyptian kisses the hand of the priest, its really a gesture of sucking up.. but when someone from shoubra kisses a priest's hand, i feel the priest had the blessing. (sorry, but these people are all saints. Its a fact.) Ya3ni, they kiss the priest's hand really to get a blessing... they are the most Orthodox people I know.

But Elsi, thanks!! Thanks a million for this wonderful complement, but Joe's right... i'm soooooo unqualified and ungifted and unworthy of this... I'm still growing.. there are so much good people i've met on this site that would be great as priests.

Finally, I would prohibit any emotional songs... "I wanna touch u, I wanna see your face" stuff from being sung in my Church. THe Hymn :"Jumping over the mountains of the Golgotha" is OUT of my CHurch. The people who sing it will be warned and perhaps even excommunicated depending on if they INSIST on singing that song.

Atai Parthenos will be sung in ALL TAMGEEDS.. whether for Saint Mary, or for someone else.
    Zefte Pantes IS the official tamgeed for Saint Mary.
    Agios Athanatos Nai-Nan-Funky Stylie will be sung in ALL occassions.

The tasbeha will be respected in my Church. It won't be rushed as most priests do just to move on.. but it will be ESSENTIAL to sing the tasbeha before ANY mass...

Elect me as your spiritual leader, and perhaps lent will be 20 days!! U never know!!!! I'll get u a discount. (ok.. only kidding... but i'm open for offers).

I will elect Joe as Head of Sunday School!! He's EXTREMELY Orthodox. He's brilliant. I'd ask him to give the SUnday sermon, I'd sit back and listen to what he's saying... just chill out..

If I say any sermon, I'd talk about repentance. Always. I'd talk about how Big God's Love is. I'd talk about Theosis and try and sound really intelligent.. just to let people around me know that I'm not as stupid as I look. lol...

God bless

HAHAHAHAHAGHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH I cant stop laughing lol When I read that I was splitting my sides - Vas that was the best post I've seen in a LONG time lol If you made me head of Sunday School lol I'd want a pay rise  :P  :) :D ;D
  • Hi joe,

I really don't understand what was soo funny about that? I was serious. I admitted that I'm so unqualified and unworthy to be a priest. And If I was a priest, I'd make u Amin-Il-Khedma. You're obviously more than qualified for that position. You're very trustworthy, and you have it in your blood on how to serve.

I'd love to do a service with u Joe. I'd learn a lot!!

But.. why its so funny??

Joe, if you were a priest, what would u do??? As you can see, I'd be a human potatoe, nothing big.. but you?? What about u??

The only thing i'd do is insist that the small children read the agpeya during Matins. that's it??

What would u do ??
  • Dude Im not saying you'd be a bad priest - you'd do far better than me, to begin with because your older and more experienced and wiser than me. The idea of introducing the Agpeya at a young age is very insightful - and Id also encourage what abouna used to do when I was a kid - give us the cymbals and triangles and make us do tasbeha - that way I got to love it... and then holding regular hymns lessons - soon you'll have a battalion of good deacons and muallemeen, an active church, and a younger generation who you can be sure will continue the church after you're gone.

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6633.msg89482#msg89482 date=1212660896]
    Dude Im not saying you'd be a bad priest - you'd do far better than me, to begin with because your older and more experienced and wiser than me. The idea of introducing the Agpeya at a young age is very insightful - and Id also encourage what abouna used to do when I was a kid - give us the cymbals and triangles and make us do tasbeha - that way I got to love it... and then holding regular hymns lessons - soon you'll have a battalion of good deacons and muallemeen, an active church, and a younger generation who you can be sure will continue the church after you're gone.

pray for me

joe

One thing I would do is learn to talk from the Bible. I noticed in many sermons, priests just give their opinion. Not even their contemplations.. its more of an opinion.. and its so abstract to what the Bible reading was.

No no... in the sermon, I'd just talk about the Bible reading and see how that applies in our daily lives.

• Yeah... and I think the Desert Fathers are also a great source of contemplations (lol though you'd better not refer to them too frequently - otherwise all of your congregation will go and become monks and hermits lol  ;D)
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6633.msg89485#msg89485 date=1212661125]
    Yeah... and I think the Desert Fathers are also a great source of contemplations (lol though you'd better not refer to them too frequently - otherwise all of your congregation will go and become monks and hermits lol  ;D)

Joe, I'd make the young deacons have a HUGE role during the mass. They will pray ALL the psalms. Its just reading in English, and learning the words of the psalms.

THen, i'd run a Friday Youth Meeting... and from there.. I'd see the topics that H.H has written and discuss them with the youth.

There's a LOT of things priests can do,but they don't do...
    What are they doing??
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6633.msg89487#msg89487 date=1212661378]
    There's a LOT of things priests can do,but they don't do...
    What are they doing??

lol I you'll have to take it up with your priest  ;D
  • Joe ... are you french too ??
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6633.msg89526#msg89526 date=1212701087]
    Joe ... are you french too ??

lol.... French - the same as Vas - if that were the case I would shoot myself lol only joking Vas.... no im from the UK
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6633.msg89572#msg89572 date=1212737081]
    [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6633.msg89526#msg89526 date=1212701087]
    Joe ... are you french too ??

lol.... French - the same as Vas - if that were the case I would shoot myself lol only joking Vas.... no im from the UK

I totally agree with Joseph on this one.

why did u think Joe was french? Cos he sounds intelligent??
  • And whats that supposed to mean Vas  ;D
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6633.msg89580#msg89580 date=1212750052]
    And whats that supposed to mean Vas  ;D

People think that because you sound smart, and you're a brilliant person that u are also French? No no.. its because he's from SHoubra.
  • lol... shoubra is where its at  :)
  • OMG!!! God have mercy, God have mercy, God have mercy!!!

I know we have been trying to keep the conversation 'light' on this subject but:
    IT IS REALLY SERIOUS!!!
    QT_PA_2T, please do all u can to rectify the problems with the clergy there: Look at Bermuda's front-page news:- www.theroyalgazette.com. The 'fruits' of those bad priests are coming to light. One of their 'sons' has raped and murdered a 14yr old girl and dumped her body in one of our nature reserves. His brother is already locked up for crawling into a young girls bedroom window and molesting her!
    I'm telling u these things are very, very dangerous. Don't let them poison your youth!!
  • [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=6633.msg89601#msg89601 date=1212764742]
    OMG!!! God have mercy, God have mercy, God have mercy!!!

I know we have been trying to keep the conversation 'light' on this subject but:
    IT IS REALLY SERIOUS!!!
    QT_PA_2T, please do all u can to rectify the problems with the clergy there: Look at Bermuda's front-page news:- www.theroyalgazette.com. The 'fruits' of those bad priests are coming to light. One of their 'sons' has raped and murdered a 14yr old girl and dumped her body in one of our nature reserves. His brother is already locked up for crawling into a young girls bedroom window and molesting her!
    I'm telling u these things are very, very dangerous. Don't let them poison your youth!!

Elsi, is that guy in the picture COptic Orthodox?

Our priests perhaps have only reached misdemeanors, or minor felonies, we are not at the advanced level of your Church - yet. No no... you've beaten our game - that's for sure!

This is so surreal.

Our problems are just with priests that are weired.. but not THAT weired. Ya3ni... thank God, its not soo bad.

THere is one priest that has done a lot of damage, but thankfully, God has healed those he hurt, so i think all will be OK.
  • the one solution available:    PRAY
  • I agree, we underestimate this wayyy to much: the power of prayer. We sometimes become so arrogant as to think that anything is in our hands or that we control anything. We sometimes forget that our Heavenly Father is present watching over us and when we pray and ask His help, He WILL HELP us in whatever way he sees fit, even if it's not our way. It's when you leave it up to God in the end, that's when you can have peace. (ofcourse you have to do your duties also). God gives us succes and we get up and build..
    God has defended and preserved His church for ages, and He will continue doing that, looking after His sheep.

May God Bless and Keep you all
    Please pray for me
  • Elsi,
    I'm just curious, but are u Coptic Orthodox? from the names in that newspaper, it seems to be Ethiopian Orthodox.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6633.msg89679#msg89679 date=1212822795]
    Elsi,
    I'm just curious, but are u Coptic Orthodox? from the names in that newspaper, it seems to be Ethiopian Orthodox.

i am pretty sure Elsi said she is Ethiopean Orthodox.....  (in another thread)
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6633.msg89679#msg89679 date=1212822795]
    Elsi,

Forgive me for my late reply. All of this has made me feel quite ill! I am Ethiopian Orthodox. We have a Coptic Church gathering here but I do not know where. It seems a few of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church members now go to the Coptic Church.

You know, really, i shouldn't be making any accusations because i do not know much about it. It seems there have always been some kind of contentions and quarrels going on with the early church members. And really i think it is because they refuse to follow good instruction and decent advice. Thus the wages of sin.....

Also QT_PA_2T, if you feel you need to stop telling jokes or stop being sarcastic to further your ministry; you should do it! Even if u feel to shorten Holy Lent to 20 days; if you have the authority and the agreement of your brothers who am i to oppose it?!
    I'm like the worker in the parable who has just come at the end of the day, you have been out there working in the heat of the day all day! Who am i to say you do not deserve 'time off' or something??! :)