The Most Beautiful Church in the Whole World

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
The Muallaqa in Old Cairo (The Virgin Mary & St. Demiana)!

What a beautiful church.  Every time I go there I take at least 500 pictures.

She is the glory as a historical edifice for the Coptic Orthodox Church and the whole world.  I have seen some amazing cathedrals, basilicas, and grand churches, but she (the Muallaqa) is by far the most beautiful.

Anyone with thoughts or their own favorite?

Comments

• my favorite church would be the church of Philopateer Mercurious and Anba Barsoum El-Erian in Old Cairo. It is a very historical church. This church is where many popes were ordained in and also, many popes are buried there. However, the reason I like this church most is because of the fact that Anba Barsoum's cave is there. He lived in that cave with the snake for over 20 years. Saint Barsoum is one of my intercessors so I really like that church due to the fact that he lived there. Whenever I have a problem, I ask my cousin who lives near this church to go pray for me in Saint Barsoum's cave and I find my problem solved within days. I also like it due to the fact that I like old churches. I love the old, historical churches in Cairo such as el Mullaqa, and Babelyon el darag. You really made me want to go visit this church again. 
  • My favorite church by far is the Archangel Michaels in New Cairo in Sheraton. The church is gorgueous and the people very welcoming, never have i been to a church in egypt that is so welcoming to new comers and accepts them with such ease and makes them feel at home. The Iconstasis covers the whole church(literally) painted on to the walls are all the icons in amazing detail, the main alter is by far the most beatufil thing I have ever seen, a painting of the 24 priests on each side(12 on each side that is) and a magnificent icon of our Lord on His Throne carying the world. Unbelievably the best church ever.
  • I have Two fav churches

One: The one I live in now St. Mark's COptic orthodox church Winnipeg

Two: St Mina St Abanoub church in St Anthony's Monestary ( the most peaceful quiet God filled place ever)

(not saying God is in one place more than the other)

God Bless
  • could you guys possibly post links to pictures of these AMAZING Churches for us all to learn and to see what you guys are talking about???? 

one of my favorite Churches has to be the Church of Saint Mark in Winnipeg (The preist is the best and the Chirch is so peaceful and the congregation is the best, most caring, most loving, and welcoming type of people i have ever seen in my life) .... since i have not been in many old amasing churches in Egypt, i can't say any of them are my favourites (sadly)
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=6619.msg88241#msg88241 date=1211423548]
    The Muallaqa in Old Cairo (The Virgin Mary & St. Demiana)!

What a beautiful church.  Every time I go there I take at least 500 pictures.

She is the glory as a historical edifice for the Coptic Orthodox Church and the whole world.  I have seen some amazing cathedrals, basilicas, and grand churches, but she (the Muallaqa) is by far the most beautiful.

Anyone with thoughts or their own favorite?

Everyone says that. Yeah, its very charming. And then u've got all the garbage people below.

However, there are a few things I've begun to dislike about it. THe area is very Holy. I give you that! But, first apparently Max Michel's HQ is there. ANyway that's what I heard. Secondly, The Church is open to the largest protestant charismatic prayer groups. Do u know Al-Hayat TV? They film there... and its ALL charismatic.

Protestant charismatic groups have, in my opinion, the BEST CHurch servants. I mean, they are so active, and know how to "bring in the crowds", but... they don't ever say anything I find useful. Its either talking giberish (i.e. shalalalallalalalalla" stuff), or saying something that's really silly. Ya3ni, some pastor said this story that was silly, I just got up and left.

• You know ilovesaintmark, you aren't far off the mark...

My fav has got to be St. Sergius and St.Bachuus church right next to the Muallaqa and next to the Greek Orthodox Church of St.George and the new Coptic Museum, at the metro stop "Mar Girgis" on the Helwan line....

The beauty of the church: well I'll let the pictures do the talking. 

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.galen-frysinger.ws/egypt/oldtown01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.galenfrysinger.com/cairo_old_cairo.htm&h=540&w=720&sz=99&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=pGu8cU5X-E2vAM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dst.%2BSergius%2Bold%2Bcairo%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den
    http://touregypt.net/featurestories/serga.htm
    http://www.egyptologyonline.com/coptic_cairo.htm
    Here is a plan of the church:http://www.planetware.com/map/coptic-church-of-st-sergius-map-egy-ccss.htm

I'll also try and upload my photos and give you guys the link.

pray for me

joe
  • Thanks for the glorious pix. Awesome craftsmanship. An inspiration.

So far my favorite Church is St. Gebriel Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church Monastery (What a mouth full :)) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. I was baptized and married forever to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and her sister Church's here.
    It is circular. I like the circular Church design. It is built with the old traditon style. Men and women are totally separated. Men enter one side, women the other. there are no pews, you can sit on the carpet if you need to.
    The story of the Church is that a drop of Christ's blood fell in that spot when he was being carried to Heaven by the Angels after his crucifixtion. It is a very peaceful blessed place; the old playground of H.I.M. Haile Selassie;
    Look:
  • Wow thanks elsi70x7, awesome place  :)

pray for me

joe
  • Who can resist an invitation so full of compassion joe?

Sorry i should have said forever married to the Bridegroom..our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Please pray for me also

elsi
  • Post Pictures everyone!

I've only gone to Egypt once and that was 4 years ago! I would love to see the beauty of the churches in Egypt!
  • I am partial to St Gebriel Church's.
    This one in Awassa Ethiopia was just being built when i was there. I did not take many pix when i was there because at that time there were still alot of restrictions on such things:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yaredu/492172672

God bless all
  • Hey, ok it's not an orthodox church, and it's not that beautiful on the inside, but on the outside the Dom of Florence in Italy was absolutely wonderful. I have never been so impressed by a church architecture before in my life.

plz pray for me
    God Bless
  • I really like this topic im learning so much. Please anyone post about the different churches around the world with pictures.If you can.
  • [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=6619.msg88370#msg88370 date=1211506218]
    Thanks for the glorious pix. Awesome craftsmanship. An inspiration.

So far my favorite Church is St. Gebriel Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church Monastery (What a mouth full :)) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. I was baptized and married forever to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and her sister Church's here.
    It is circular. I like the circular Church design. It is built with the old traditon style. Men and women are totally separated. Men enter one side, women the other. there are no pews, you can sit on the carpet if you need to.
    The story of the Church is that a drop of Christ's blood fell in that spot when he was being carried to Heaven by the Angels after his crucifixtion. It is a very peaceful blessed place; the old playground of H.I.M. Haile Selassie;
    Look:

Elsi,thx for the Youtube video.It is owesome.The Doxology for St Gabriel in the form of 'mezmur' is deep and penetrating and I am certain the Archangel must be smiling and his intercession before the throne of God would be immediate. Great church and wonderful icons.

I am no more sure,if I ever visited the 'Muallaqa in Old Cairo'.While I was in that area, I remember visiting St George's nuns covent,where the chain of Mari Girgis is kept.Then, a humble nun took me around and showed the backyard of the church where the Jihadists had burned it down to rubble and how the nuns saw the blessed Virigin Mary descending from heaven extinguishing the fire.Also around the same area ,without me realising it, I was also at the Saints with 'the 2 sword' church and did not even bother to take blessings from His holy relic.Reason: I did not know ,that the Saint with the swords was St Pilopather Mercurious, aka Abu Seifen.I also visited the Hanging churchs of Cairo  that were built back in the middle centuries.My undersatdni g is that, I visited all churchs that were there, so which one is the church of St Mary and St Demiana? Any one with pictures?

Anyway,what is meant by 'beautiful church'? The building as a whole, the outer building, the inner, the icons,religious paintings of Christ, Virgin Mary,Saints,Angels,etc., modern vs old architecture etc..It is hard to pick a choice.
  • [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=6619.msg88590#msg88590 date=1211840620]
    [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=6619.msg88370#msg88370 date=1211506218]
    Thanks for the glorious pix. Awesome craftsmanship. An inspiration.

Look:

Elsi,thx for the Youtube video.It is owesome.The Doxology for St Gabriel in the form of 'mezmur' is deep and penetrating and I am certain the Archangel must be smiling and his intercession before the throne of God would be immediate. Great church and wonderful icons.

I am no more sure,if I ever visited the 'Muallaqa in Old Cairo'.While I was in that area, I remember visiting St George's nuns covent,where the chain of Mari Girgis is kept.Then, a humble nun took me around and showed the backyard of the church where the Jihadists had burned it down to rubble and how the nuns saw the blessed Virigin Mary descending from heaven extinguishing the fire.Also around the same area ,without me realising it, I was also at the Saints with 'the 2 sword' church and did not even bother to take blessings from His holy relic.Reason: I did not know ,that the Saint with the swords was St Pilopather Mercurious, aka Abu Seifen.I also visited the Hanging churchs of Cairo  that were built back in the middle centuries.My undersatdni g is that, I visited all churchs that were there, so which one is the church of St Mary and St Demiana? Any one with pictures?

Anyway,what is meant by 'beautiful church'? The building as a whole, the outer building, the inner, the icons,religious paintings of Christ, Virgin Mary,Saints,Angels,etc., modern vs old architecture etc..It is hard to pick a choice.

Hezekiel, thx for the keen observations.  People say you should call St. Gebriel three times and he will come swiftly to your aid! So i feel i must mention the other third St. Gebriel Church that i like  :): St. Gebriel Kulubi in Ethiopia. This St. Gebriel Church is where women go to ask the Archangels intercession to God to give them a baby. I could not find a good photo of it online. Still the ones i saw look impressive!
    I haven't been to Egypt, but i would like to go one day. The Icons of the hanging Churchs i find very breath-takingly beautiful. There are sooooooooo many beautiful Churchs.
  • [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=6619.msg88691#msg88691 date=1211911143]
    [Hezekiel, thx for the keen observations.  People say you should call St. Gebriel three times and he will come swiftly to your aid! So i feel i must mention the other third St. Gebriel Church that i like  : St. Gebriel Kulubi in Ethiopia. This St. Gebriel Church is where women go to ask the Archangels intercession to God to give them a baby. I could not find a good photo of it online. Still the ones i saw look impressive!
    I haven't been to Egypt, but i would like to go one day. The Icons of the hanging Churchs i find very breath-takingly beautiful. There are sooooooooo many beautiful Churchs.

Elsi, hmm let me mention St Gabriel the good news bringer few more times, so that he comes to my help real soon:-) I have heard about the yearly Kulibi piligrimage and the great miracles that are performed by the Archangel Gabriel for the faithful. I also heard it is as big  a church festival as the the great ephiphany in your beautiful country. The other day, I was passing by an Ethiopian local store where I saw an ad saying " we sell Qulibi injera'. Since I knew a bit about Qulibi, I was curious to find out what kind of 'injera" that was. So I went in and asked for some info and the dudet claimed that the Injera came the whole way from Qulibi with the special blessings of the shrine. I LOL'ed big time for the joke, but was kind enough to buy the injera anyway,since it looking inviting with lots of fresh big eye scattered throughout its entire circumference.

You must visit Egypt.My monk uncle used to say,either Israel or Egypt is a must visit,because both were blessed by the physical presence of our Lord.Curiously enough,though not mentioned in the bible,the Ethiopian Tewahdo Orthodox church also claims that St Mary did visit ancient Ethiopia with the child Jesus on her way back to Israel.Infact, the remote monastry that is located at Lake Tana is said to be the actual path of the Holy family.To my surprise, I read an entire archeological evidence of such claims in the recent Biblical Archeology magazine.
  • [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=6619.msg88742#msg88742 date=1211926948]
    [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=6619.msg88691#msg88691 date=1211911143]
    [Hezekiel, thx for the keen observations.  People say you should call St. Gebriel three times and he will come swiftly to your aid! So i feel i must mention the other third St. Gebriel Church that i like  : St. Gebriel Kulubi in Ethiopia. This St. Gebriel Church is where women go to ask the Archangels intercession to God to give them a baby. I could not find a good photo of it online. Still the ones i saw look impressive!

Elsi, hmm let me mention St Gabriel the good news bringer few more times, so that he comes to my help real soon:-) I have heard about the yearly Kulibi piligrimage and the great miracles that are performed by the Archangel Gabriel for the faithful. I also heard it is as big  a church festival as the the great ephiphany in your beautiful country. The other day, I was passing by an Ethiopian local store where I saw an ad saying " we sell Qulibi injera'. Since I knew a bit about Qulibi, I was curious to find out what kind of 'injera" that was. So I went in and asked for some info and the dudet claimed that the Injera came the whole way from Qulibi with the special blessings of the shrine. I LOL'ed big time for the joke, but was kind enough to buy the injera anyway,since it looking inviting with lots of fresh big eye scattered throughout its entire circumference.

You must visit Egypt.My monk uncle used to say,either Israel or Egypt is a must visit,because both were blessed by the physical presence of our Lord.Curiously enough,though not mentioned in the bible,the Ethiopian Tewahdo Orthodox church also claims that St Mary did visit ancient Ethiopia with the child Jesus on her way back to Israel.Infact, the remote monastry that is located at Lake Tana is said to be the actual path of the Holy family.To my surprise, I read an entire archeological evidence of such claims in the recent Biblical Archeology magazine.

Tell me Hezekiel...did St. Gebriel come to help you yet?? He is the swiftest!!! I was surprised to realize he and St. Michael fight alone (Daniel 10:21)!  Now that you mention it I do remember something about that pilgrimage to Kulubi. One day I will make it! One day Ethiopia will truely be 'my country'. I came back to the west to establish all the wonderful Orthodox Christian lifestyle I saw there here, but it has been hard going. I miss injera. I can cook, but it is not the same. Maybe you can send me some of that 'special injera' LOL. We have no store here. You know our Ethiopian Orthodox Church here is kind of beautiful. An Abba who was here did many glorious paintings for Debre Ganet; even the alter is hand made out of our local cedar.

I think I do have to visit Egypt. I had an Art professor who had lived in Egypt. She loved it and her description made me want to go there to art school. When I was in London I made a point of going to the museum to see all of the Egyptian artifacts....it was brilliant, simply awesome. I have a Monk adoptive father in Ethiopia and the only other place he has travelled to is Israel. I was just thinking I should follow his example and only go to holy places.  I would like to read that Biblical Archeology magazine. What is the name please? I heard something of our Holy Virgin Mother Mary's stay in ET. Ethiopians really, really, really adore her. I know there is a path ET pilgrims follow that is the same route Sheba took when she went to visit Solomon.

God bless you
  • I was surprised to realize he and St. Michael fight alone (Daniel 10:21)! 

Elsi, something is odd with me; I somehow took the whole thing seriously and put it into my heart and now,I kind of  have no doubt that St Gabriel will come to my aid .That is exactly what the chapter of Daniel 10 is about.The Bible clearly outlines that there is an angelic host to whom responsibilities and authority have been given by God. In the case of Daniel, St Gabriel responded because of the prophets supplication. He came to Daniel's help, but he was delayed from arriving early because He met resistance from another great being as is evident in the verse "Daniel 10:13 ,But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days" It is amazing, that it took St Gabriel 3 full weeks to combat this great being and kept him from getting to Daniel.I have no idea if the length of time,ie 21 days,has any scriptual significance,but this must have been one gigantic fight between the Archangel and the being. Whatever it was that withheld Gabriel from getting to Daniel must have been awfully powerful.  Was this being a demon, one of the fallen angels? Therefore,St Michael the Chief prince had to come to St Gabriels aid.Thanks for the verse,it inspired me to read the whole chapter and will continue reading the whole book later. Moreover, the Book of Enoch that is uniquely Ethiopian/Geez mentions 4 mighty angels that beat Azazel and his hosts of fallen angels: St Michael, St Gabriel,St Raphael and St Uriel. The latter angel has churchs named after him in the Ethiopian Church
    and is famed for countless miracles.It is also St Uriel who took Enoch to the 7 heavens.

As for the Magazine, I will get the full name for you.Maybe the next edition has something extraordinary story about the Queen of Sheba and the ark of the covenant:-)
  • [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=6619.msg88936#msg88936 date=1212101658]

I was surprised to realize he and St. Michael fight alone (Daniel 10:21)! 

Elsi, something is odd with me; I somehow took the whole thing seriously and put it into my heart and now,I kind of  have no doubt that St Gabriel will come to my aid .That is exactly what the chapter of Daniel 10 is about.The Bible clearly outlines that there is an angelic host to whom responsibilities and authority have been given by God. In the case of Daniel, St Gabriel responded because of the prophets supplication. He came to Daniel's help, but he was delayed from arriving early because He met resistance from another great being as is evident in the verse "Daniel 10:13 ,But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days" It is amazing, that it took St Gabriel 3 full weeks to combat this great being and kept him from getting to Daniel.I have no idea if the length of time,ie 21 days,has any scriptual significance,but this must have been one gigantic fight between the Archangel and the being. Whatever it was that withheld Gabriel from getting to Daniel must have been awfully powerful.  Was this being a demon, one of the fallen angels? Therefore,St Michael the Chief prince had to come to St Gabriels aid.Thanks for the verse,it inspired me to read the whole chapter and will continue reading the whole book later. Moreover, the Book of Enoch that is uniquely Ethiopian/Geez mentions 4 mighty angels that beat Azazel and his hosts of fallen angels: St Michael, St Gabriel,St Raphael and St Uriel. The latter angel has churchs named after him in the Ethiopian Church
    and is famed for countless miracles.It is also St Uriel who took Enoch to the 7 heavens.

Hezekiel, thanks for the insight! I went to St.Uriel Church in AA,ET.There is also a St. Raguel Church. He is also a helper of the 4 mighty angels.
    The Book of Enoch is a perfect example of what I meant when I said I was surprised to realize St. Gebriel and St. Michael fought alone: Our Almighty God has many hosts of angels yet He only uses few to defeat enemies. There are many, many other angels who take care of nature, Heaven and earth. Our God is so frugal and wise!!! I know nothing is wasted in Heaven. Enoch describes a very, very Beautiful Church dosen't he! One day it will be here on earth with us!!!

God bless you
  • [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=6619.msg89043#msg89043 date=1212285030]
    [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=6619.msg88936#msg88936 date=1212101658]

I was surprised to realize he and St. Michael fight alone (Daniel 10:21)! 

Hezekiel, thanks for the insight! I went to St.Uriel Church in AA,ET.There is also a St. Raguel Church. He is also a helper of the 4 mighty angels.
    The Book of Enoch is a perfect example of what I meant when I said I was surprised to realize St. Gebriel and St. Michael fought alone: Our Almighty God has many hosts of angels yet He only uses few to defeat enemies. There are many, many other angels who take care of nature, Heaven and earth. Our God is so frugal and wise!!! I know nothing is wasted in Heaven. Enoch describes a very, very Beautiful Church dosen't he! One day it will be here on earth with us!!!
    God bless you

Selam Elsi,

Sorry for my belated answer in regards to your request on the magazine:The Biblical Archeology. Now, I have found their website and here is the link.

http://www.bib-arch.org/

Not all articles are for free, but you could have a general view. It is a monthly magazine and you can find it in any book store such as Borders.Mostly, I read articles that I find interersting in one of those shops where they have starbucks coffee,in the hope that the Ethio coffee of the week might also have been blessed by Our Qulibi intercessor:-). As for making Injera, I envy you, but with all my Chemistry background througout my life, I failed to understand the right chemistry  that is needed to make the right Injera. A part of me resigned to the idea that it simply is a woman's thing.

God's blessings with your endevour to build the Lord's house.
  • Selam Hezekiel,

Thanks so much for the magazine link! That's a wonderful picture of Jerusalem Sanctuary on the present issues cover. The colors are so vibrant! I know i will thoroughly enjoy the website...amasegenalehu!!!
    Do not feel bad about the injera.....I think it is a womans thing. Though if you like to try to  make it, just clear your mind. Forget about chemistry equations and mix the dough to your liking. Even if it is not uniform and round you can still make fir fir, it's still edible.
    Also thanks for your well wishes in my endeavors to build the Lords House and i would like to elect:     
                  [glow=red,2,300]The Virgin Mary Church in Zeitoun[/glow]
    as most beautiful. Of course Her Church would be and should be most beautiful.
    Amen