how to play the cymbals

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
hey everyone, i know how to play the cymbals but im looking for a different way to play them, one that would match fast hymns. If anyone has ways that they can either describe in writting how they play or even better, have a video recording that would be really helpfull. I practice alot but i cant seem to find a beat that matches hymns like the verses of cymbals

Comments

• this is how I was taught..sorry if it makes no sense
    --up down up, up down up, 1 hit, up down up, 1 hit...kind of a sequence in a way..so all in all
  • Yea, That's one of my favorite way of playing them.

But I do it a little differently, my way is a little harder but you can play them much faster this way:

Start the playing deaf at the bottom half of the still deaf. Then Go Up on the deaf, Down so it goes behind the deaf then up again. Repeat. then hit the deaf on the other deaf in the middle. This time do it again but don't repeat. Sorry if this didn't make any sense either.  :-[

It should sound something like this: lll  lll -  lll -  lll  lll -  lll -      So basically (three hits)x2 middle. Three hits (Don't repeat) Then Middle again. Once again, sorry if this didn't make any sense.

With Thirteen minutes of Ressurection day left where I live. I would like to wish you all one more time, A Happy Resurrection.
    Feast.
    Copt Andrew
  • loll that sounds so confusing copt andrew lol, do you think you can re explain it? Explain it this way....

(this is how 1 of the ways i play for example)

(middle, middle + slide down, middle, middle + slide down, middle slide up) than you just repeat from the begining.... all these hits are being done by the def in your right hand while the def on your left hand is still
  • Sorry Meena_Ameen. The reason why I didn't explain it that way is because it is basically the same as Coptic Servant's. Except when you want to play fast you play on the bottom half of the still deaf so when you go down it hits the side. I hope that's better.  ;D 

I'll explain it that way anyways  ;D:              (Up, Down, Up)x2 Middle  Up, Down Up, Middle.

Oh, and also there are nice lessons of four different ways to play on http://coptichymns.net just search cymbals on media search

GB,
    Copt Andrew
  • oh lol ic, but yeah i get your way, im gonna practice it tomorrow, i cant right now cuz my whole family is sleeping lol.. Oh and ive heard those lessons on how to play the cymbals already.
  • OK, I should really finish my homework now so I'll be inactive in for a good 20 minutes. I might practice tonight to. My parents are awake. It's rare that I see them go to sleep before I do.  :D  (My siblings and Teta are sleeping but if I go to where my parents are they shouldn't hear more then a sweet, soft melody.) Lol. Have a good night.

Copt Andrew
  • i just tried playing the way you explained copt andrew... i know how to do it, but the problem is i dont know how its supose to sound and when to go fast or not, so it sounds horrible lol
  • Oh no, That can be a problem...Hmm...Just try it slow, hit 6 times all the same speed and then hit the middle then hit 3 times the same speed and hit the middle. Make sure each beat is the same speed without any pauses. Once you get better you can adjust your speed to whatever suits the hymn.

I hope that helps.

Copt Andrew
  • oh ok, ill try that.. but after i hit it 6 times do i hit the middle like fast right away, or is it like a slow hit?
  • It needs to be the same speed as every single other beat.  ;D

God Bless,
    Copt Andrew
  • guys. just watch those who do know how. we have spoken about this to many times already. you do not need to know how. most real cantors dont and the ones that do, play the most basic way. so it's not that big of a deal.
  • Those audio lessons on CopticHymns.net are very helpful, but a video would be a hundred times more useful.

If anybody has any free time, I think video lessons on the deaf and the triangle would be of great help. They can be submitted to Tasbeha.org or CopticHumns.net or even just posted on YouTube with a link in these forums.

God bless.
  • I must say I agree with Minigir that praising God with words is a lot better then praising him with cymbals. NOT TO SAY THAT CYMBALS DON'T PRAISE GOD! (Psalm 150) But they aren't as important and words.

God Bless,
    Copt Andrew
  • I agree, the only way you will learn is by watching it done by your church mlm, its very difficult to ask somebody to explain it on the internet. the lessons on ch.net are very helpful, and the only way to learn other ways is if you go around to other churches and see how its done.
  • lol this topic is funny..its like music lessons for the deaf..lol sorry i dont mean to offence anybody but how can you learn how to play an instrument without actually hearing or watching how its done?
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=topic=6522.msg86499#msg86499 date=1209591044]
    but how can you learn how to play an instrument without actually hearing or watching how its done?

Precisely. Showing the need of actually physically learning from someone else.

pray for me

joe