postures in prayer

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi, I was just wondering about the significance in the various postures in prayer, or if any one has any resources for info.

Thank You, and God Bless you guys!
Nicki :)

Comments

• Hi,

When Praying, it is important not to be in a very relaxed position that can lead us to doze-off or be careless in our prayer... leaning on a wall, for example, might cause our mind to wander off and forget the meaning of our prayers.

This information and more can be found in a the book called "The Perfect Worship" by HG. Bishop Metta-Aus.

This book can be downloaded at the Youth Bishopric Website:

http://www.youthbishopric.com/library/DownloadLibrary/Book/berfctwarsheE.pdf

From Pages 32-34, postures in prayer are discussed and may be helpful in answering your question...

I hope this helps... :)
    God Bless...
  • Thank You very much Minrew, and God Bless You! :)
  • Ummm. there isn't really a signifigance except that you are presenting yourself before God, so you should look decent in the way you can. Like, if you were going to talk to the President you wouldn't stand in baggy shorts, tennis shoes, and be slouching.... I know that its really different because you can see the PResident and its different when you cannot see somebody, but its like prayer... I hope I helped... I can't always explain myself that well, but I hope this cleared things out a bit when I used the relationship or differenct things.

• ok this MIGHT help...if u r having trouble standing (or in my case...keeping awake) in a mass...u can bow down....that is what the deaconnesses here in Australia say...

i think same thing apllyies with prayer/worship...

personally...bowing both humbles me and keeps me in a relaxed position to last longer in prayer...thats just my opinion...

however...i know that u must be given hell (umm an arabic word for permission) to sit down...i know someone that had to get hell...(please understand that i am saying khell...not hell as in downstairs) ;D :o
  • actually, i concentrate better when im standing up during the mass... when i bow down i tend to close my eyes and i sometimes doze off (not as in sleep, as in thought)...
  • it really depends on the person..as for it being Haram..i dont think so..just respectful enough to be standing infront of your creator...

(i would like to pint out that i am the biggest Hypocrite...n that all my post are what i belive in n not what i do
  • hmmm standing.... during personal prayer... i just cant do that... but when i pray from the agpeya i usually stand...
  • hmmm i dont know... i'll just ask my FOC next time during confession///
  • im not sure of the proper position for praying but i know for sure that you should have your hands open... This shows that you have nothing with you when you enter into the Paradise... and that you want no materalistic possesions and carry none. I heard this in a sunday school lesson once.
  • I think most of us are concentrating more on HOW we do things than WHY we do it or the meaning behind it. I don't think it's really important if you stand, kneel or whatever. I mean God should be the closest to you...you should be comfortable when talking to your father...as in the president example...you have to be formal talking to those people...but when it's God...it's something else..it's more of a personal thing. Everyone is different..we shouldn't set rules for how you do everything concerning your spiritual life...but just be more relaxed when you do it. yeah your life is a test to whether you will enter heaven or hades, but it's also a personal love relationship between your saviour. I personally don't think God is going to judge you on whether you stand or sit while praying.
  • That's really cool, about what Andrew Saad said on why we open our hands when praying, but I'm pretty sure that it only applies to praying while standing, because when you're kneeling you have to keep your hand in a fist with your thumbs out. The reason i think was because when satan fell, he landed with his palms open and we don't want to resemble satan in any way.
  • That's really cool, about what Andrew Saad said on why we open our hands when praying, but I'm pretty sure that it only applies to praying while standing, because when you're kneeling you have to keep your hand in a fist with your thumbs out. The reason i think was because when satan fell, he landed with his palms open and we don't want to resemble satan in any way.

im not sure of the proper position for praying but i know for sure that you should have your hands open... This shows that you have nothing with you when you enter into the Paradise... and that you want no materalistic possesions and carry none. I heard this in a sunday school lesson once.

wow god bless you thnx for that

about position when u pray ok u don copy what other ppl do otherwise u don feel how holy the one u r standing in front of is

hmmm what about before praying set on ur legs and close ur eyes and think for a bit...imagine what would you do if u have seen God in his holiness physically with your eyes now what would you do? how concentrating u will be and how awake
    then that'll be enought to tell you what you should do when praying.
    i wish i helped neway after all that...
    pray4me
  • hey i got this in an email....somewhat related to the topic

Three preachers sat discussing the best positions for prayer while a telephone repairman worked nearby. "Kneeling is definitely best," claimed one.

"No," another contended. "I get the best results standing with my hands outstretched to heaven."

"You're both wrong," the third insisted. "The most effective prayer position is lying prostrate, face down on the floor."

The repairman could contain himself no longer. "Hey, fellas," he interrupted, "the best prayin' I ever did was hangin' upside down from a telephone pole!"

• I like that PrincessMary, I actually believe kneeling is the best way, but hanging yourself from the telephone pole, not such a good idea, I'll tell you why, if your upside down the blood rushes to your brain and than you become dizzy, and want to sleep, secondly I wouldn't go with just standing, I recieved this email, but I can't open my email right now because it's temporarily out of service at the moment, so I'll say what I remember, it says when you kneel to God, you can stand up to anything, I'm not sure how it goese, but I'm positive it has that in it!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • of course im not saying stand upside down lol...just thought the email was nice
    o yea i know that quote i just had it as my signature but then changed it
    "The shortest distance between a problem and a solution, is the distance between your knees and the floor. The one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything"
    also theres another 1 that says
    "if we spent most of our time on our knees we wouldn't be falling down as much"
  • [quote author=PrincessMary link=board=1;threadid=64;start=15#msg49169 date=1141248869]
    of course im not saying stand upside down lol...just thought the email was nice

Oh, I understand, I was just saying a quick opinion of mine! I never said anything about you saying standing upside down is good, no no I was just briefly trying to tell you want I think of standing upside down on your head!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Kneeling and standing are both equally acceptable postures of prayer. One is not "better" than the other, though the former is considered to be penitential in nature, which is why the Canons of the Church forbid us to kneel on Sunday - the day of the Lord's resurrection.
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=board=1;threadid=64;start=15#msg49183 date=1141252858]
    Kneeling and standing are both equally acceptable postures of prayer. One is not "better" than the other, though the former is considered to be penitential in nature, which is why the Canons of the Church forbid us to kneel on Sunday - the day of the Lord's resurrection.

Thank you Iqbal for that, that is very appreciated!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent