where can i get cymbals

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
hey everyone... i live in canada and its kinda hard for me to find cymbals (church instrument) anywhere around and i really need them to practice with. i tried looking on ebay but the cymbals they have are larger and most of them are really rusty. And i cant seem to find any at a church near by.. Does anyone know where i can get them from? Maybe a website i can order it off or something?

thanx.. God Bless

Comments

• I dont know how reliable or up-to-date this website is but this looks good lol

http://www.copticstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=563
  • it says this product was added july 2005 lol... do you think i can still buy it? lol
  • haha thats what i meant, its seems like a very old site, but if its still up and they have such a wide variety of things, maybe the church is still keeping it going, so i would say give them a call, it couldn't hurt lol
  • most likely the place you can get it will be straight from egypt, possibly if you have family there or you know someone who is going soon you can ask them to bring it back for you or mail it to you
  • i actually dont have any family in egypt that is coming to canada anytime soon... oh and about that website tishori, im trying order it but i dunno how.. do u have to call? cuz i cant order it for sum reason
  • If you want a proper daff (big and copper) then the only place you can get it is from egypt from the Mahaba bookshop or the St rewesis bookshop near el batrakhana in cairo. The one in the link will be a medium size and I had a medium one before but then I needed a big one as it vibrates more because medium and small ones don't vibrate as much. It's your choice which type you feel comfortable but I recomend that you acctually try each one to see if you like it.
    + If you are going to egypt soon then get one.
    + If your priest is going to egypt soon tell him to get you one. He will know very well the good types.
    Apart from that it is a shame that they don't sell them abroad. I had to wait 2 years until I got a big copper one from egypt.
  • oh man that sucks... ive been waitin a year for a medium sized one... do they use a big one in the church? i dont think ive ever seen one thats rlly big actually.. i thot the average size was like 7 or 8 inches in diameter. BUt yea, thats a good idea, i should ask a preist to get me one if he can
  • You don't get really massive ones and they don't use them at churches. The only really big one I saw was in st Anthony's Monastery and it was old but massive. I don't know how any monk can hold it in tasbeha.
    + 7 or 8 inces is pretty good. It is considered as big. Just ask for the biggest size. There isn't that much sizes you know and the biggest you can buy is around 8-9 inches in diameter.
    + It's your choice which size you chose to suite you. I recomend a big one because the way I use it is very strong and I need a lot of vibrations.
    + If you like loud ones get a flat one (like me) if you like quiet ones the always get a concave one.
    + By the way can you play?
  • I also agree, the only place you can actually get an antique, yet original deaf is the monasteries in Egypt, I got mine from the tahouna, and then I also just went to Egypt just last summer and got the smallest one from the monastery of Abouna Bishoy Kamel and Mari Guirgis, but that was only so the little deacons and other people that aren't used to the big deaf start playing on the little one. I have a medium sized one, but as Lost said they don't have that echo as much as the big one, and I can tell you I can definitely see a difference from my medium sized one to the big one, it's not so much massive, but it depends mostly on how big your hands can fit them!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • You know what, I got my first small one from the baramous monastery. It was alluminium but it was a good start for me but the mahaba book shop is where you can get decent big copper ones.
  • This might be a stupid question, but How do you know the difference between a copper and aluminum or an even better question is how do you know a good daff from a bad one?
  • It's not a dumb question at all, I might know the answer to the last question, you might want to practice playing it to see if their is a ring to it!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • You can tell. A copper one sounds different. It has a different vibration meaning that alluminium will have a soft high pitched sound while a copper one will sound very strong and will vinrate for longer. You can tell because copper ones will either be yellow or they will most commonly be silver  as they will be coated in nickel. Copper ones will be much heavier than alluminium ones. You will find that in Egypt copper ones will be a lot more expensive. A normal big alluminium you can get for LE 50 but a copper one will be around LE 70-100. Overall you can tell by experience.
    + There is no bad or good daff [to certain limits as there are ones that sound very very bad] but it is a question on which one suits you the most and which one will you be comfortable in most.
  • Thanks Coptic Servant and Lost, but really Daffs are now L.E 100, I remeber 7 years ago you could get a nice daff for about L.E. 20.  I guess things change!!
  • I am sorry if this question is stupid (but what exactly is L.E.)? I assumed L.E. was currency, but of which country?
  • The question is not stupid at all, LE stands for Pounds which is the currency of egypt
  • [quote author=Zakhary link=topic=6320.msg83554#msg83554 date=1205188275]
    Thanks Coptic Servant and Lost, but really Daffs are now L.E 100, I remeber 7 years ago you could get a nice daff for about L.E. 20.  I guess things change!!

It's rediculus. You see it is because copper is now a lot more expensive as a metal. You can still get alluminum ones for LE 30-40 though.
  • [quote author=Zakhary link=topic=6320.msg83554#msg83554 date=1205188275]
    Thanks Coptic Servant and Lost, but really Daffs are now L.E 100, I remeber 7 years ago you could get a nice daff for about L.E. 20.  I guess things change!!

You are right, my small one that is as big as a toddler's or 4 yr old child hand was like LE 25 or 35!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • yeah my first toddlers daff (alluminium) was only LE 15 like 4-5 years ago.
  • the monastery of Abouna Bishoy Kamel and Mari Guirgis,

There is a monastary for Abouna Bishoy and Mari Guirgis?  i now the church..i iused to go there..but a monastary.. never heard of it.
  • I know its in Alexandria, Egypt!! We went on a trip with my church in Egypt, el Adra wel Malak fel khalafeya!!

Foever,
    Coptic Servent
  • u mean the moanstary? or church?
  • By the way, thanks for the clarification of L.E. I believe they mean the monastery.
  • but i dont thin  there is a monastary
  • Actually there is, I have pictures to prove it if you don't believe there is such a thing!! If you want to see them ask!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • i believ u ..but can i see the pictures anyways... just for the blessings?

Thank you
  • If you want to go right ahead, but the only way is private message or else emailing..you choose!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • i don't know wich is easier im very new here
  • Both are easier, but I would prefer emailing better!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • ok then..plz go ahead and e-mail them..or do u need my e-mail address?