Halloween

SMSSMS
edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey all
i was babysitting the other day, and one of the kids asked me what i was gonna be for halloween (u know how kids are, getting ready 2 months in advance) so i said i was going to be myself... and of course, being the 8 year old they were didn't understand that big old me, the person they looked up to, wasnt gonna dress up for halloween... so i was wondering
why dont we celebrate halloween.... and how did halloween become, halloween?
hope that made the smallest bit of sense ;)

Comments

• We had this lesson a looong time ago, so I don't remember it really well. But I know that it is the holiday of the devil. People dressed up in the scariest things they could find to do something, I don't remember, but it's bad because it has something to do with the devil. And if you think of it, the cute, pretty ballerina and school girl costumes have only been added to the list recently. The costumes are all witches, which we don't believe in, vampires, which we don't believe in, monsters, which we don't believe in......

By the way, sorry if this isn't very helpful or if it's inaccurate, I really don't remember the lesson......
  • well Halloween was originally all saints eve, because november 1st was all saints day for the catholics... so all saints eve was also called "all Hallow's eve" ( hallow comes from the word "holy"..hallow=holy ones)

so 1 view about halloween is that some devil worshippers group decided to have their own celebration on the eve of all saints day october 31, so that people would worship satan instead of God..so as a tradition people would dress up as ghosts, witches, devils..etc all symbols of the devils kingdom. and to bother christians they named it "halloween" thinking that their celebration of devil worshipping is also holy

another view is that it is originally an ancient celtic devil worshipping feast that started like 2000 bc..so in the 8th century the catholic pope wanted to get the people to stop practicing this feast so he established all saints day on nov 1st..however the samhain worshippers still wouldnt stop so to take revenge...they decided to change the name of their Samhain feast to "Halloween" taking the name from "all hallows eve" and continue with their tradition
  • [quote author=PrincessMary link=board=1;threadid=630;start=0#msg11577 date=1095214139]
    well Halloween was originally all saints eve, because november 1st was all saints day for the catholics... so all saints eve was also called "all Hallow's eve" ( hallow comes from the word "holy"..hallow=holy ones)

so 1 view about halloween is that some devil worshippers group decided to have their own celebration on the eve of all saints day october 31, so that people would worship satan instead of God..so as a tradition people would dress up as ghosts, witches, devils..etc all symbols of the devils kingdom. and to bother christians they named it "halloween" thinking that their celebration of devil worshipping is also holy

thats wut i was taught...and wen we were younger at church..they used to have a small halloween thing at church instead of goin out in the streets treat or treatin...we could dress up as saints or wutever as long as it wasnt like a vampire or monster or wutever..
  • halloween also originates from a Celtic tradition of witchcraft..worshipping some lord called Samhain, lord of death and evil spirits. As honor to this lord on oct 31st they would offer sacrifices to him..sacrifices like animals or even humans...so the druid priests would go knocking on peoples houses asking if any1 had sheep, cows, goats or humans or whatever to offer for their god..and if they didnt then they would put a curse on them..and that is the origin of "trick or treat" if they dont give them a treat to sacrifice for their god..they r tricked and cursed..so now that sacrifices are replaced by "candy" it still symbolizes giving an offering..to lord Samhain..which is saying we are "idol worhsippers"/"idolaters"/ "satan worshippers"
  • wow, good stuff... didnt know all that
    thanx ;D

one more question: does anybody know where i can find Anba Sourials OLD lecture on halloween.... i heard it was an amazing lecture, and i'd like to listen to it now lol

feel free to post more things up.... ;)
  • OOO i have that lecture on tape, its so beneficial...but that doesnt help does it...i guess you can ask in your church library for the tape, thats what i did...i'm sorry though

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*
  • we dont celebrate halloween in australia :'(
  • same here, but we do have Carnaval ;D
  • wow gr8 stuff
    i didnt no anything about that all i knw is that its on october 31 and that all the ppl dress up and go trick treat thingy ...
    wow thats cool i shold tell the whole world(everyone at sundai skool and skool) so that they know wat they r celebratin
    coz i dont think ani1 knows
    wow
  • :o no halloween in aunstralia??? that is sooo kewl...lolx, u have 2 c it here its chaos sometimes, ppl dressing up lyk witches and devils and other weird creatures of which i have no idea wut they're called, lolx but yeaaaa thats so kewl, not celebrating halloween, kewwll! :P

• yeh hi 5 Magnoona4lyf
    no halloween !!
    ok
    but arent most the ppl there christians ...arent they supposed to no its wrong aniwais??
  • u mean in jersey? o yeah well murderers know its wrong to kill but they still do it, lolx...in jersey everyone lives each day as though it was opposite day, i think only the deeply devoted christians dont celebrate halloween, my dad hates it and i'm scared of clowns (no1 laugh, lolx) so i really really hate halloween and in schools they throw eggs @ u and batteries in sox, its crazyyy so those of u who dont have halloween, smile! ;)

• Lol, I know, people do some crazy things for halloween like egg houses and teepee trees and stuff. :o But yeah, I agree with you Sylvia, only the devoted Christians don't celebrate Halloween, because there are sooooo many that do.
  • is it wrong to go to a carnival on holloween but not dress up or anything, ur just going for the rides and stuff? cause my town has one every holloween to keep kids out of trouble. so is it ok to go or not?
  • angelofGod..nice angels like you shouldnt be going to
    HELLOWEEN carnivals..thats just for the fallen angels to go to ;)
  • AOG...i think that if its just a halloween party u kno not really over the top get dressed up kinda party then i guess its ok...but if its lyk a school party of ppl u hardly kno then i dont think u should go because most likely they'll be drinking cuz #1 its a party #2 its a school party #3 its a school party with schooly type of pplz, lolx i think that if its just u kno a party of friends u kno and they're having it so a bunch of u could hang out then i dont see anything wrong with it because ur with ppl u kno and hopefully u trust them and they wouldnt do dumb things lyk drinking or nething. I also think that if ur parents kno the friends that r going and they're ok with it then there shouldn't be a huge deal about it. But u kno still be careful and stuff because u never kno cuz ppl tend to get crazy on halloween and stuff so i think u should weigh things in ur head and ask urself b4 u go u kno wut type of ppl r gonna b there, am i gonna be tempted to things that arent pleasing 2 God and will they make others think less of me...u get the idea...so Good luck with this and be careful ;)

• wow u guys r weird not us
    hi 5 PrincessMary it really is HELLoween
    far out y wold ani1 wanna go to parties like that
    wow im grateful theres none of that here in oz
    yay
  • anybody else?
  • thankz guys! that answers my questions! i am not going! ;D