Capital Punishment

Greetings everyone. In a couple days I have to give a presentation in my US Gov't class on the topic of capital punishment, both sides, and my own personal view. I have been until now against capital punishment, however, I would like to know, where does the church stand on this issue? I've heard two positions about this. One is the church is against it for who are we to take away a God-given life, especially when if imprisoned, one can repent and change his ways? The other position is, God told us we are subject to government and civil law, and the government has the right to kill those who have killed before.

So my question is, does our church have an actual position on capital punishment, and do the other churches, Orthodox (oriental and eastern) and the Catholics concur?

I would also like to hear people's own personal views if they'd like to share. Thank you.

Comments

• Please anyone correct me if I'm wront but from what I know is that the church is against capital punishment for, like you said "who are we to take away a God-given life, especially when if imprisoned, one can repent and change his ways?" Also, but killing that life and saying he doesn't deserve to live for he killed; we are now judging and who are we to judge? So like i was saying, from what i know; the church is against this notion because we are taking away a life that God has created.
    Hope this helps