Clapping in church

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I dunno why, but whenever we clap in church everyone makes the hugest deal about it ::) and about how disrespectful it is....i mean i know that we shouldnt clap during hymns because it engages physical movement in the church and thats just not our way of worshiping but i cant understand why we're practically forbidden to clap when a bishop is present or after he says something or wen the lecture is over ???....can someone explain...thanx!

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*

Comments

• in australia, every time the priest after church makes an annoucement, like we just bought a new church, or house or something, every1 claps, i think its wrong, i neva clap, thats what ive been tought. im sure it has some thing to do with it bein the house of God not like a stage with an audiance...
    i dont get why women zaghrat, u know that leoleoleoleoleoleoleoleowe thing
  • hahahahahahahahaha, omg i find that so funni cuz i kno wut u mean i hate that! especially when they're right next to u...lolx wow...i just dont get the point of making a deal about clapping, sometimes i think its disrepectful wen we dont clap bczu here u have a bishop or an aboona talking for the past 10 years (or so it seems) and @ the end he just gets up and leaves w/o recognition...ionno i just dont think its as BIG of a deal as the church points it out to be...

• we usually do clap at our church; for instance after the little kids sing taraneem (spiritual song) at a feast or anything. Even at the european convention there was clapping alllllllll the time, and the bischops didnt seem to have a problem with it...i dont know actually wether its wrong or not ???
  • Well I guess that clapping is so disrespectful because clapping is mainly for entertainment & stuff that amuses us and anything said in the house of God isn't meant for entertainment but for us to use. Even though it is beatiful and is worth a lot more than clapping but I guess the only thing greater than recieving the word and being happy with it is actually using it in our lives. God bless.
  • i see wut ur saying and quite surprisingly i agree with u :o, lolx...its just in our church especially with youth in eccyc, omgoodness, they have heart-attacks because u kno god forbid we clapped, lolx...i just dont understand the coptic "rules"sometimes....but hey u cant change tradition otherwise it's be custom made.... :-\

• [quote author=Magnoona4lyf link=board=1;threadid=616;start=0#msg10745 date=1094536094]
    hahahahahahahahaha, omg i find that so funni cuz i kno wut u mean i hate that! especially when they're right next to u...lolx wow...i just dont get the point of making a deal about clapping, sometimes i think its disrepectful wen we dont clap bczu here u have a bishop or an aboona talking for the past 10 years (or so it seems) and @ the end he just gets up and leaves w/o recognition...ionno i just dont think its as BIG of a deal as the church points it out to be...

Well they leave without recognition..and that's exactly what they want. They make sure that whatever they do, they do it for the Glory of God, and they can't take any of the Glory for themselves. That's why after their done, we don't clap for them...we sing hymns to God to glorify Him some more. hope it makes a little sense. It's just, we don't clap for them, because THEY haven't done anything...it's God that was talking through them and working through them, so we have no reason to clap for them. get me?
  • :o omg, i acually understand, lolx...i fully comprehend wut ur saying! And i got it from the 1st time, lolx....i'm making progress which is good since skewl is tom...newaysss thank u so much...u've helped.....A LOT! lolx... ;)

• [quote author=G.J.I link=board=1;threadid=616;start=0#msg10740 date=1094535194]
    in australia, every time the priest after church makes an annoucement, like we just bought a new church, or house or something, every1 claps, i think its wrong, i neva clap, thats what ive been tought. im sure it has some thing to do with it bein the house of God not like a stage with an audiance...
    i dont get why women zaghrat, u know that leoleoleoleoleoleoleoleowe thing

lol
    okk
    at our COC we never clap
    the onli tim we eva did was wen the pope came over
    G.J.I maybe u talkin bout the english church??
  • I think it was originaly St John Chrysostom, who first said that clapping hand is not the correct way of worshiping god.

John Chrysostom, Homily I, Theatrical Worship of Satan

"If any admirable musician come amongst them, they leave all that they had in hand, which often is necessary and pressing business, and mount the steps (in the arena), and sit listening very attentively to the words and the accompaniments, and criticising the agreement of the two. This is what the many do." Clapping of hands is approval or contempt for theatrical or musical performers: it is never an act of worship.

I am not entirly sure (as i am not a scholar) soo PLZ correct me if i am wrong ???

Your Brother in Christ ;D
    Shenouda
  • by the way i googled that !!

and came up with this site
    http://www.piney.com/DocJChrysHom1.html
  • i'm not sure about this, it says in the psalm:

Psalms 47:1 - O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.
  • actually this is original one
    http://www.piney.com/Clapp.html

it may not be orthodox but it has some good points
  • If you search the net alot of sites surprisingly deal with that psalm and say that its not reffering to the worship of God
  • I'm still not sure though; at the end of the liturgy the priest walks around the corners of the altar and says that psalm and claps while walking around.

I think it's more a cultural thing though; there's christians in south africa to whom its very common to use drums and clapping etc in their worship. We can't say its wrong, but we are just not used to it in our worship i gues :)
  • so clapping in church isnt exactly wrong....its just "forbidden" because of tradition...?? ???

• u c at our COC wen we all goin out in the holidays 2gether we get all the kids to sing hymns coz its vveerry fun and der aint nutin better and i think that cold be kinda wat it has in the psalm that hos irof mentioned but wat shenouda Andrawis mentioned is about inside of the church
    and i say we do not bring the clapping we give to musicians inside the church coz u dont wanna give God the same apreciation u give to muscisions??!!
    and its not only muscions onli ...dats just an example
    ok thanks all and GBU
  • YEHHHHH....sounds good ;D $herry

personally What i really enjoy is seeing little kids use hand actions and using their whole body in worship outside church, for eg. the FATHER ABRAHAM song..(hope you guys know it hehe). but inside church because it is the house of God its a bit different...

I dont know though because in alot of the african churches Anba Moussa set up, encourages you to 'dance' 'clap' etc in side the church, is this because of their culture??? Also i am not posetive as to exactly what is meant by St John Chrysostom on this subject, but i am guessing that he meant worship in general, not just within church...Mabey some one who knows St John Chrysostom's writing better then me can answer that one.

Your brother in Christ,
    Shenouda.

Because i love St John Chrysostom, here is a good site, i think its a greek site anyway..
    http://www.chrysostom.org/

Something which i found interesting, on this site you can find some prayers of St John chrysostom, according to the hr of the Day so each hr he would say simple prayer to god...this is SOOOOOOOO nice
    (sorry to change the subject)
    http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/prayers/chrysostom.html
    Looks very simmilur to the end of the tasbeha O LORD .....etc

• Yes acually it is because of their culture, in Africa. Abba Antonious-morkos acually practically lives inAfrica and he knows everything about their worship and living and he mentioned in Eccyc a couple of times how their way of worship is so different than ours because they use their whole entire bodies to get involved into the worship so yea i guess its part of the culture...

• So i guess "clapping in church"all has to do with ur culture, ur tradition within the church and how people in the church view it....i could live with that, lolx :-\

• HIGH 5 Magnoona4lyf yes i really agree wid u
    but wat shenouda Andrawis says about FATHER ABRAHAM
    thats a gr8 hymn but i think its made for tha kids so that they understand it more all that things the kids use thier hands wid is easier aand made 4 tha kids coz wen i was a kid i dont think i understood any of those hymns we sing in church and so the ppl uther than kids sing those stuff coz it is actually more mature , it can be touching and things we mean..im not sain that africans arent mature but hey i dont no :-\
    ok thanks all
  • hey
    guys egy just weird....i know this is off topic....but when sylvia the geek was trying to teach our sunday school class the song " i could only imagine"...it contained (big words getting ready for the PSATs) the word dance and God together....it had nothing to do with belly dancing to GOD..lol...JKJKJKJK...(TM) so one of the sunday school teacher, no names, jumped out of her skin....and started screaming about how we cant dance...and than she picked out a verse from the bible that talked about Mercy....which has nothing to do with dancing...and by the way the word dance in the song was figuerative...(PSATs...lol)...i just dont get...????? ::) ;D :D
  • my bad....sylvia said LAWYERs......lol.....its still Different has nothing dancing unless merciful lawyers dancing....dat was corny .......sorry.....i get that quality from sylvia... ;D ::) :)
  • excuse her, meryam cant speak, lolx ;)

• another quality i get from sylvia.....lol....jk.... ;D ;D ;D ;D