are we all saints?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
okay, the protestants r really starting to bother me... they show no respect for any saints even though the bible says even the angels honour saint mary, and they say we are all saint...my question is... ARE WE ALL SAINTS? I know were definetly not saints in comparison to saints like St george, but why do they always say that? And why do they show literally ZERO respect for the saints?

Comments

• My only answer would be it sort of depends on the person, they might be kind of right in a way, I know a lot of people in my daily life, like really good friends at church and in egypt that could be considered saints by their acts such as their humility.  I guess we can't really stereotype, but I must assume that you are only around protestants in your area, but before you judge them on their beliefs, if you haven't done this already try to meet other protestants and get their side of the story, I think it would be best!! I've been around protestants at school, I'm pretty sure they have respect for my culture, religion and beliefs, I know my friends that do anyway!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • your supposed to be humble.... at the conclusion of every hour your supposed to say " who loves the righteous and has mercy on sinners of whom i am chief.... if you interpret chief of sinners as a saint... than good for you, pray for me cause im not there yet.
  • Of course were not all saints. Just think, do saints go to hell? No, so therefore since some of us are going to hell, then we can't all be saints.

PK
  • Do we all make miracles?
    Do we all reach a VERY high level of spirituality through fasting and prayer?
    Do we all deny ourselves for the sake of our Lord?

No.

Therefore, we are not all saints.
  • [quote author=Severus link=topic=6119.msg81287#msg81287 date=1200953971]
    Do we all make miracles?

Not all saints perform miracles, so technically that can't be a reason

[quote author=Severus link=topic=6119.msg81287#msg81287 date=1200953971]
    Do we all reach a VERY high level of spirituality through fasting and prayer?

I know some people that are very good at that, so they can't be saints?

[quote author=Severus link=topic=6119.msg81287#msg81287 date=1200953971]
    Do we all deny ourselves for the sake of our Lord?

Some people do, some people don't! Sorry Severus, but I feel that you are stereotyping a lot of people, and you really can't because most people aren't like that, or are like that!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • You guys are giving some really good answers, especially the one on how we cant all be saint because saints do not go to hell. And i think that what severus meant to say that to be a saint is to be very highly spiritual, and for protestants to claim that we are all saints, would mean that we are ALL very highly spiritual... and this is obviously wrong. Yes there are many who are highly spiritual however, not all of us are highly spiritual. So to say that we are all saints would be wrong. One statement i often here protestants say is "we are all saints, it says so in the bible". I personally have never read that anywhere, but than again i havent read the entire bible, and cant recall all the verses off the top of my head. But im sure that even if it does say that in the bible, it must be interpreted another way.
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=topic=6119.msg81289#msg81289 date=1200954903]
    Not all saints perform miracles, so technically that can't be a reason

Ok, but the majority do...

I know some people that are very good at that, so they can't be saints?

Not as strongly as the saints did when they were on earth.

Some people do, some people don't! Sorry Severus, but I feel that you are stereotyping a lot of people, and you really can't because most people aren't like that, or are like that!

Again, they do not say, lock themselves up in a room for 40 days for being sinners, or put dust into their eyes for lusting, and so on.
  • That's a very good reply/comeback..I must say!  Thank you for replying for that!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • The faithful of whom the Church is comprised, as St Paul stressed "...called to be Saints" (Rom 1:7). They are saints because of their calling by God, and by which they were separated from the rest of the people/nations. They were baptised for the remission of sins, they received the gift of the Holy Spirit, and led a life of repentance and were in Communion with Christ, and the other saints through Christ.

However, as we know, the Church also have sinners. Judas Iscariot, a Bishop in today's terminology was a thief and a blasphemer against the Holy Ghost. St. Paul's disciple Demas also left the faith. We know of the couple from the Church who tried to trick not St. Peter, but even the Holy Ghost and died. We know that the Apostles were not perfect either, though great Saints and Martyrs they truly are indeed. St. Paul had confrontations with St. Mark and St. Peter. We know Moses was once impatient, we know Lot was drunk, we know Jacob showed favouritism, we know Samson was not prudent, we know King David was an adulterer and murderer- they are still part of the Church, yet we know they all had major failings, yet ascribe them to holiness.

Even then, we know from Christ, that compared the Kingdom of Heaven to the Parable of the Dragnet (Matt. 13:47-50). that was cast into the sea and gathered some of every kind"  demonstrating in allegorical terms the various human intentions and differences.

According to St. John Chrysostom, "the Saint is he who participates in the Faith, spotless is he who leads a clean life."

As Origen had perceived, "many of the sinners relate to Jesus as their Lord and in them there is the Holy Spirit." (Dogmatique v. II ).

Thus, we are saints in as much as we are called to be saints. Just as we are saved, being saved and will be saved, are we saints.

However, some of those called to be saints had departed from the faith.

Saint literally comes from the word Holy. We are only Holy in as much as we are sanctified by Grace. It is by the pursuit of God's righteousness. It is being in communion with Christ and the Church through Christ.

Remember the parable of the Vine? We are as branches grafted onto the Vine, which is Christ, and we are in "communion" with each other as long as we are grafted into the Vine. And we are only receiving the nutrients of the Vine as long as we remain grafted in alignment. If we do not produce fruit, we are thrown away.

The Church, with hindsight, have seen by their works that they were Christ's disciples. As Christ said to the Disciples, " This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."

It is not difficult to show that it is just as fit to replace in this context disciples with saints, as all those called to be saints are to follow Christ.

So, we are saints in as much as remain faithful and grafted to the True Vine, leading a life of repentance and faith. However, when we become fruitless; when we follow the way of the flesh; when we remove ourselves from the Vine, we also disinherit the call to be saints.

As the author of Hebrews, St. Paul, said, " For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.  Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know Him who said,  “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord.And again,  “The LORD will judge His people.” " (Hebrews 11:26-30 NKJV)

So, the people who have "insulted the Spirit of grace", obviously have rejected the calling, for this is the same Spirit who "called them to be Saints" in the first instance.

If I insulted my employer who calls me to jobs, do you think I would still have my job? Remember, "The LORD will judge His people".

So, again, we are saints in as much as we fulfill our calling. But those who have departed, and remain part of the Church, we know by their fruits that they have fulfilled their calling, and it is thus sufficient to call them "Saints" in the fullness of the word.

If we assume the title ourselves, and are sining willfully, think about the stern warning that the Apostle St Paul gives, in which I bolded. We would be those, as I placed in italics, "will he be thought worthy".

Many of our fellow brothers and sisters have gently (I would hope) admonished (which is something we must do, so take it with perserverance and love) recklessly assuming that title. And for good reasons.

As St. Paul urged the Ephesians,
    " I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to lead a life worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with long-suffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism." (Eph. 4:1-5)

Whilst in unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace, we are Saints. If we are in communion with the saints in "one body and one Spirit", we are Saints. However, we must always endeavour. When we do not, we are not leading the life worthy of the calling. And thus, not all are saints, because many sinners, like me, can not with full consciousness say that I always endeavour.

GB.
  • Can I also comment at your frustration with your Protestant peers? You seem to either think, or allow that you have the burden of proof. This is a common thing I still fall into.

However, this is not logical. We practice and teach what has been consistent for at least 1400 years, and many of the things in to which they call to question is traceable to the times of teh Apostles, or the time of St. Clement and first few generations. We have been consistent.

It is they who have the burden of proof, and need to substantiate their novel claims.

I have not read one decent article addressing their assumption that the Scriptures is all they need; their perposterious notion of "Biblical Christianity". Christianity authored and authorised the Bible. It is the Book of the Church. It had never been since its canonisation in the hands of laymen and open to their interpretation.

In Apostolic times, it was the pastors that derived authority from the Apostles that shephered the flock- not any Tom, Dick and Harry. St. Paul had to prove himself in one of his Epistles, that he had seen St. Peter and that he allowed him into the ministry. Not anyone was allowed into the Presbytery, but it was the Church which allowed them into the Ministry.

Thus, it is the Protestants that must substantiate their "novel", and by that "new" and completely foreign ideas to Apostolic Christianity (in which we are a clear canditate of being a faithful successor of).

As an established faith, if you will, that has existed before the heterodox introduction to the Church of Rome, it is them that should be defending their ideas- not us.

Corporate fasting is tracaeble even to the old Church before the New Covenant. Icons and veneration of holy objects are tracaeble to the time of Moses; think of the Arc of the Covenant. There are things that are not in the Bible, but it is Our Church that wrote the Bible, that authorised the Bible, and has taught from and through the Bible. This is the same institution that they call heretics? Does that seem logical?
  • There is a famous saying which states that the difference between a sinner and a saint, is that a saint is a sinner who confesses and repents. I don't know of many people who do that very well though.

But I know what you're talking about... when protestants say that... they read the bible out of context. i like what other people said about that in this forum.. i myself am not very good at responding to such comments coming from protestants and their grade school theology. when they say things like that... I can't help but think to myself that unlike what they think, salvation and all of christianity cannot be explained simply in pamphlet form statements. These matters are not black and white issues like protestants make them out to be. Salvation and all of Christianity isn't achieved in saying a few words. It's a lifelong journey. It can't be summed up. It's something that as we get to know ourselves and seek God, we are taught more and more along the way.
  • Hi everyone, You all have some nice answers,

Please correct me if i'm wrong but i believe that St. Paul called the Corinthians a multitude of saints, or something along those lines.

Again PLEASE correct me if im wrong

God Bless
    May the prayers Of Pope Kyrollos be with us all Amen
    Please Pray for me.