Baptism & the greater sin

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey everyone, i have 2 questions that have been on my mind for a while now....  The first one is regarding baptism... When catholics or even protestants are baptised r they really recieving the holy spirit? Because i know that if they want to convert to coptic orthodox than they must be baptised again, and we only beleive in one baptism... so does that mean that the first time they were baptised as catholics or protestants they trully DIDNT recieve the holy spirit?

2nd question, i hear everyone sayin all sins are equal but When Jesus spoke to pilot "Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin." Clearly Jesus is stating here that some sins are greater than others... So what do we copts say about this?

Comments

• Firstly, Chrismation is when we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Secondly, let's not speculate. The Holy Spirit moves non-believers to God, but has made a residence in the believer (a living, talking, moving Bethel).

And of course some sins are greater than others...what's your point? They still all cause death. Any sin is falling short of God. Any sin could separate you from eternity with God. I could be shot or I could be stabbed; both produces different pain but results in death.
  • so what do we recieve when baptised?
  • [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=6100.msg81112#msg81112 date=1200632432]
    Hey everyone, i have 2 questions that have been on my mind for a while now....  The first one is regarding baptism... When catholics or even protestants are baptised r they really recieving the holy spirit? Because i know that if they want to convert to coptic orthodox than they must be baptised again, and we only beleive in one baptism... so does that mean that the first time they were baptised as catholics or protestants they trully DIDNT recieve the holy spirit?

this is a huge topic...but to summerize, they don't have to be baptised if they are truly baptised like us, full immersion in water and not like the catholics. the only exceptions for that is those who physicly can't be. other than that they are just anointed with the Mayron.

2nd question, i hear everyone sayin all sins are equal but When Jesus spoke to pilot "Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin." Clearly Jesus is stating here that some sins are greater than others... So what do we copts say about this?

all sins are equal in the fact that they are ALL SINS....but each sin's consequence if different. there for each is treated diffrent and effects us in diffrent way and way of judging
  • ohh ic, thank you so much minagir... but have one more question.. you said that if someone is baptised by full immersion in water than they wud not need to be baptised again jsut annoited with myron... but, how do we know that the baptism they recieved was real? For example..."non denominational christians"  baptise with full immersion in water, so did they truly recieve baptism when they were baptised in this water?
  • [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=6100.msg81194#msg81194 date=1200813424]
    ohh ic, thank you so much minagir... but have one more question.. you said that if someone is baptised by full immersion in water than they wud not need to be baptised again jsut annoited with myron... but, how do we know that the baptism they recieved was real? For example..."non denominational christians"  baptise with full immersion in water, so did they truly recieve baptism when they were baptised in this water?

well i think the mayron locks the sacrament. i can get more info about this and i can even be wrong about this specific incidence 
  • [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=6100.msg81145#msg81145 date=1200728437]
    so what do we recieve when baptised?

Baptisim is a purification- we are purified of the original sin. Myron is recieving the Holy Spirit and Locking the sacrament as Mina said. I believe that i think it is catholic that would not have to be baptised as well as and Apostolic church- but a protostant would be. I am not sure about catholic though they might have to be- I know Eastern Orthodox only recieve myron. Protestants need it all.
  • about the greater sin.... i believe that that was an expetion.... pilot condemnd Jesus to death , therfore he sined aginst Jesus but other sins r comited against oursleves or others..wich isn't as bad...but is is still bad...
  • [quote author=coptic pharoah link=topic=6100.msg83646#msg83646 date=1205380997]
    about the greater sin.... i believe that that was an expetion.... pilot condemnd Jesus to death , therfore he sined aginst Jesus but other sins r comited against oursleves or others..wich isn't as bad...but is is still bad...

Any sin you commit is outside the body, but if you commit sexual immorality you have sinned against your own body. (St. Paul)

You Body is not your own it is the temple of the Holy Spirit therefore you have no right over it! (St. Paul)

(I'm Sorry these are not word for word)

Pray for me
    and May the Prayers of Pope Kyrollos be with us all Amen.
    Glory be to our God Amen.
  • as many have said...
    a very blessed servant once said was that:
    all sins are infact equal in punishment --> they lead to death.
    however what differentiates them is their effects on the people they target.  i.e. a sin to kill seems greater than the sin of lust, because of its effect on it's targets.
  • [glow=red,2,300]In the Name of the Father+ and the Son+ and of the Holy Spirit+, the One True God. Amen[/glow].

In Orthodoxy there isn't a separation between big or small sins. Only in Roman Catholicism are they separated as Mortal sins and venial sins. This is because of their traditional legalistic theology. But it can be helpful in our lives.

Like a drug addict who first begins with marijuana then graduates to harder drugs, so we as sinner start with small sins which leads to big sins thus weakening our relationship with God. If we watchout for the small stuff then we can do less of the big stuff. This is Roman Catholic basis for the Examination of Conscience used to prepare for Confession.