Gregory of Cappadocia

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
hi i was just browsin the web and i found out that there was a pope who was never actually accepted in the Coptic church. He was apparently enthroned while St. Athanasius was exiled, but was never accepted by the church because he was an arian and St. Athanasius was alive while he was enthroned.

Does anyone know anything about him if u do please share

Here is all the info i found on him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_of_Cappadocia

Comments

• well what i kno is that after the arians gained the power to
    exile St. Athanasius, they then replaced him with their own "pope" or as we consider him an "anti-pope"
    Gregory the Cappodacian was very unpopular with the predominantly Coptic flock, who showed loyalty to the exiled patriarch and was never accepted. 
    Thus the arians started taking "not-so-Christian" actions against the Coptic people, who still through all this still remained loyal to their shepard.
  • thanks for that,

do u know were i might find his biography or just more info on him
  • Was he originally a coptic bishop like arius or was he just some nobody
  • Well Arius, i believe was not even coptic, he was Libyan.
    Gregory was Cappodacian, Cappodacia is in modern day Turkey.
  • You may go to Iris Habib El-Masry's book:  "History of the Copts".  She identifies the different eras of anti-popes and goes into their origin.  If I recall correctly, she mentions him specifically. 

Her book has good footnotes and bibliography.  I would expect it, at least, a good starting point to your aim.
  • ok thanks
    do u know were i can get a copy of this book, ive heard of it before and we had extracts from it on our religion classes at school
  • The large church bookstores should have it.  I'm sure you can find it at St. Anthony & St. Mina in East Rutherford, NJ.  Fr. Athanasius has an extensive bookstore.
  • lol thanks for that. umm i live in melbourne Australia, loll and i dont have my own credit card and my parents hate using there credit card over the net loll  dont know y. Luckily i found it in my school library.( i go to a Coptic school.)

thanks anyway God bless.