Killing in the Bible

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues

Here's a chapter from the Bible:

Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, "Strike me!"  But the man refused to strike the prophet.  Then the prophet told him, "Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me."  And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him.  (1 Kings 20:35-36 NLT)

Why would the LORD want this man to die for?

THere are also other examples of killing... loads more, but how is it God can command killing of innocent people like this? I mean, what's going on?

Comments

• wow very good question, i wish i knew....I don't know, the Old testament is kind of wierd, i've had teh same questions too
  • the answer is right there in the txt..it says Those who blaspheme God will suffer the consequences of their guilt and be punished.  "Anyone who blasphemes the LORD's name must be stoned to death by the whole community of Israel."  thats your answer..the law is as clear as possible..the second example is "Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD.."  HAVE NOT OBEYED..remember abraham, he was guna kill his OWN son, this is the degree of abedience the LORD wants us to have..kill our own children..but if you dont obey, then ur guna suffer the consequences.

The second question you asked is that why God doesn't seem to be the same in the old and new testement..i'll ask about that cuz i wanted to say something but i wanna make sure first because i make a fool outa myself lol!

GBU
    sandra
  • *groans*

Is your father treating you the same as when you were a child?

Does the OT record all the people the Lord executed punishment- or the many times when He had compassion and reserved it?

Simply no. To have this marcion speculation is just absurd. I mean look at the Lord- He impels us more strongly than the prophets to be clean in the inside! He compels us to use our whole being to worship Him. Christ told Judas that it would have been better if he were not born. Christ warned of the hypocrisy of the Pharasis so strongly, that it is easy to notice that this same righteous judgment of the Lord Jesus Christ is one and the same as that of the LORD in the OT- obviously because they are the same!
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=topic=5823.msg78273#msg78273 date=1192244269]
    the answer is right there in the txt..it says Those who blaspheme God will suffer the consequences of their guilt and be punished.  "Anyone who blasphemes the LORD's name must be stoned to death by the whole community of Israel."  thats your answer..the law is as clear as possible..the second example is "Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD.."  HAVE NOT OBEYED..remember abraham, he was guna kill his OWN son, this is the degree of abedience the LORD wants us to have..kill our own children..but if you dont obey, then ur guna suffer the consequences.

The second question you asked is that why God doesn't seem to be the same in the old and new testement..i'll ask about that cuz i wanted to say something but i wanna make sure first because i make a fool outa myself lol!

GBU
    sandra

Thanks sandra and thanks all who responded.

Guys, i should have come clean at 1st: these are questions from aetheists and muslims who have asked me.

Now, look at this way. If we answer them - FROM OUR ORTHODOX BOOKS, then we will become stronger.

I told them about Fr. Tadros' Malaty response (thanks to Matt and Cephas) and they were GUTTED!!

So, its best we focus on answering these questions as best as possible. Its for our own good. We often, and I am guilty of this as anyone else, leave the OT behind and i don't really read all the stories.

Its a good exercise for us all to brush up on this. (Well at least for me).

Awaiting your answers,

Love in Christ,

QT