What's the end-all book on Coptic Orthodoxy?

Greetings to all:

Yes, I'm looking for a 'massive tome' on the doctrines, dogmas, and sacraments, etc. of the COC. Does such an all-inclusive book exist? If so, what is it called?

It would be great if it had in depth views on:
Sacraments
Levels of service (ie. Deacons, Priests, Bishops, Pope, and thier roles)
Our doctrine and dogma
Our view on life after death
and various other topics that I'm not aware of that we should know

If anyone knows if such a book exists, please let me know.

Pray for me,
Severus

Comments

• ur answer is the
    Coptic Encyclopedia
    unfortuanetly though its really hard to get your hands on one because its been out of print for a while
  • Wow yup
    haha.......wow i've literally spent a good 3 months trying to get it
    and you found it so quickly lol
  • :)
    Order it!

It's brand new!

I'm gonna go for it  ;)

Uh-oh...it seems that the whole set costs around $1,200. That's a bit much, eh?

Are there any alternatives?
  • Wait, it doesn't say that there are different volumes on the description, so what's that thing for a $1,200?
  • http://www.ecampus.com/book/002897025X

I'd guess that this is the whole collection and the $120 covers a mere volume.
  • Orthodox Wiki is a useful site indeed, but to not take all of what is said there to be true. Anyone can easily alter it and put incorrect facts there. Furthermore, they cannot include the enormous amount of information in the Coptic Encyclopedia. Do you know if it is found in Egypt (in English)?
  • I'll get some relatives to look for it. I'll keep looking myself...such a collection is practically essential to any member of the COC.

My relatives are mostly in Al-Minya, what about yours?
  • Many of the articles in the Coptic Encyclopedia are written by non-Coptic writers and portray an evidently anti-Coptic perspective.

The fact is there is no "end-all" book on Coptic Orthodoxy. You simply have to be willing to sift through a range of resources; absorb the nectar and leave the trash behind.
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=topic=5778.msg77417#msg77417 date=1190547230]
    Many of the articles in the Coptic Encyclopedia are written by non-Coptic writers and portray an evidently anti-Coptic perspective.

The fact is there is no "end-all" book on Coptic Orthodoxy. You simply have to be willing to sift through a range of resources; absorb the nectar and leave the trash behind.

I agree with Iqbal completely. There cannot be an "end-all" book in Coptic Orthodoxy because the Church is forever and our custom is strong and never changing (orthodox).
  • I got 'Priesthood' and 'Comparative Theology' by HH Pope Shenouda III, along with 'On the Incarnation' by Abba Athanasius and another book on Abba Athanasius' writings today at Church. This should keep me busy for a while  ;)
  • I agree, there really is no end- all book. One must be continually learning and growing, spiritually and mentally.
  • Christ4Life is correct, the Church is not all-knowing about Christ and that is why Christ sends us different messengers to tell us new and different things about His kingdom. These different messengers can be angels, deacons, bishops, popes, and even laymen.