revealing clothe....??

Comments

• Dear QT,

There is, alas, much truth in what you say about the English and clothes. Indeed in the UK it is because of what is revealed that people object to revealing clothing; too many pies! As one colleague said to me the other week having passed a group of young women whose clothing left no doubt as to their pie consumption, 'that's the best argument for the burka I can think of'; harsh, very harsh ;D

I think we have a consensus here that in Church one dresses with respect for the Lord, and that, for a Christian, dress at other times should reflect respect for ourselves and for others; different cultures will have different limits, and when abroad, one should try to respect those limits.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • i feel discriminated against to say at the least....this is disgraceful lol....

im speaking in society in general not the dress code of conduct at church......

how come a guy walking around in short shorts and no shirt is sexy and a gurl wearing a short skirt is slutty??????
  • [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5649.msg75702#msg75702 date=1187614657]
    i feel discriminated against to say at the least....this is disgraceful lol....

im speaking in society in general not the dress code of conduct at church......

how come a guy walking around in short shorts and no shirt is sexy and a gurl wearing a short skirt is slutty??????

Hi Kerestina,

How are you? Hope u are ok!

Sorry if u feel discriminated against. However, do not. It also applies to men what I said. I even believe in the USA there is a State that is looking at outlawing men walking around with baggy jeans below their waistline, allowing their underwear to show.

What's so strange is this: whatever starts in the USA, seems to go around the world, especially in the UK.
  • [quote author=Anglian link=topic=5649.msg75701#msg75701 date=1187610160]
    As one colleague said to me the other week having passed a group of young women whose clothing left no doubt as to their pie consumption, 'that's the best argument for the burka I can think of'; harsh, very harsh ;D

I didn't realise u were there when I said that  :P
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5649.msg75704#msg75704 date=1187614898]
    Sorry if u feel discriminated against. However, do not. It also applies to men what I said. I even believe in the USA there is a State that is looking at outlawing men walking around with baggy jeans below their waistline, allowing their underwear to show.

What's so strange is this: whatever starts in the USA, seems to go around the world, especially in the UK.

wat?? that has nothing to do with wat i was saying!!! guys wearing baggy jeans with boxers underneath is jus gross its not sexy nor slutty....men can wear wateva they want and wont eva be called slutty....

• [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5649.msg75710#msg75710 date=1187617507]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5649.msg75704#msg75704 date=1187614898]

wat?? that has nothing to do with wat i was saying!!! guys wearing baggy jeans with boxers underneath is jus gross its not sexy nor slutty....men can wear wateva they want and wont eva be called slutty....

I see your predicament. Why do women who wear slutty clothes get called "slutty", and men who wear slutty clothes get termed as "tramps".

OK. Good point. Let's call them both "tramps".

Does that make u feel better??

Wearing sexy clothes is OK, but not to the point it makes u look like a tramp.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

To be honest, I have never heard a guy referred to as a 'tramp' as a result of the clothes he is wearing.  In fact, when it comes to clothing (among other things), I believe there is a blatant double standard with women being labelled as 'slutty' for wearing certain things (although, truth be told, such clothing often leaves little for the imagination) whereas men can go about wearing virtually anything without getting comments (except for those tight tight jeans, or short short shorts... that's just wrong on so many levels).  I guess all we can do is 'BLAME IT ON SOCIETY'!!!  :D
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5649.msg75712#msg75712 date=1187618399]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

To be honest, I have never heard a guy referred to as a 'tramp' as a result of the clothes he is wearing.  In fact, when it comes to clothing (among other things), I believe there is a blatant double standard with women being labelled as 'slutty' for wearing certain things (although, truth be told, such clothing often leaves little for the imagination) whereas men can go about wearing virtually anything without getting comments (except for those tight tight jeans, or short short shorts... that's just wrong on so many levels).  I guess all we can do is 'BLAME IT ON SOCIETY'!!!  :D

Well, I'm willing to compromise. I'm happy to say that if a woman looks slutty, so can a man. What can a man do to look slutty?? well, he can dress up as a woman, put make up and make his hair long, and then wear a short skirt.. then he looks slutty!!

HAHAHA
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5649.msg75713#msg75713 date=1187618585]
    Well, I'm willing to compromise. I'm happy to say that if a woman looks slutty, so can a man. What can a man do to look slutty?? well, he can dress up as a woman, put make up and make his hair long, and then wear a short skirt.. then he looks slutty!!

HAHAHA

no thats no slutty thats just gay...are you then implying that only homosexuals can be slutty??? who cares if a guy dresses up as a gurl!!!!.....slutty is wat? sleasy and not sexy....so how does this def..fit in with ur example.....

• [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5649.msg75714#msg75714 date=1187619361]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5649.msg75713#msg75713 date=1187618585]

HAHAHA

no thats no slutty thats just gay...are you then implying that only homosexuals can be slutty??? who cares if a guy dresses up as a gurl!!!!.....slutty is wat? sleasy and not sexy....so how does this def..fit in with ur example.....

OK. Look, the word "slutty" didnt come from me. It came from my friends who went to england. They said :"Oh! Gosh... prostitutes in Paris do not even dress like that?"

See??

THe problem is this: Prostitutes in Paris are female. So far, there are no male prostitutes where these people have lived to go and compare. If there were male prostitutes in paris then i'm 100% sure they'd have looked just as slutty as their female counterparts, and then we could have compared them to the British youth and provided you with a more accurate report Your CopticOrthodoxness
  • hmm  ::)
    do you guys ever stop ?

You're not even discussing much anymore.. you're just arguing.

QT, Kerestina is not targetting you specifically when she says that men shoudn't get away with something that a woman cannot [or at least i hope :S] . And also, you are a minority when it comes to labelling men 'slutts'. i've never heard it being used.

Once upon a time it was illegal for a man to walk around without a shirt.. and not very long ago either.. but today, men can wear absolutely nothing but tiny little speedos to cover the important bits and it's totally fine, by the church that is [not as in wearing it to church but like when going for a swim]. if a girl then wore a bikini to the beach, which contains one more piece than the speedo i might add, it would be WRONG! now, not saying that girls should be allowed to wear less, but i do think that the same rules that apply for women should apply for men.
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5649.msg75716#msg75716 date=1187620290]
    hmm  ::)
    do you guys ever stop ?

You're not even discussing much anymore.. you're just arguing.

QT, Kerestina is not targetting you specifically when she says that men shoudn't get away with something that a woman cannot [or at least i hope :S] . And also, you are a minority when it comes to labelling men 'slutts'. i've never heard it being used.

Once upon a time it was illegal for a man to walk around without a shirt.. and not very long ago either.. but today, men can wear absolutely nothing but tiny little speedos to cover the important bits and it's totally fine, by the church that is [not as in wearing it to church but like when going for a swim]. if a girl then wore a bikini to the beach, which contains one more piece than the speedo i might add, it would be WRONG! now, not saying that girls should be allowed to wear less, but i do think that the same rules that apply for women should apply for men.

You know, this topic is really sad. I hate it.  I hate it because the thought of someone being judged or even misjudged because of the clothes she/he wears is awful. I mean, who cares !? Who cares what they wear!??
    Huh!?

A woman may be the sweetest creature, and she'll get labelled as a "S" word for dressing up as a slut. And its probably not her fault if the stores in her high street only sell fashionable goods that really do provoke others around u.

Sexy is this: Highly appealing or interesting; attractive
    Slutty is this: of, resembling, or characteristic of a prostitute.

There's a big difference. You need to hang around a lot of prostitutes to actually see what their fashion is, and frankly speaking, saturday night in Saint Albans and stevenage looks increasingly similar to an Annual Prostitution Convention.

This is really important actually. Go and see what prostitutes are wearing and you'll see it has become mainstream fashion in the UK for girls between 15 and 20.
  • this topic is about what's appropriate and what isn't. it's not about judging other people.. it's about criticising your own wardrobe in order to make sure it's appropriate in the eyes of God, NOT other people. that goes for the boys tooo!

Habibi,

I need you to do me a huge favour -- reconcile these two statements of yours for me:

I hate it because the thought of someone being judged or even misjudged because of the clothes she/he wears is awful. I mean, who cares !? Who cares what they wear!??

and

and frankly speaking, saturday night in Saint Albans and stevenage looks increasingly similar to an Annual Prostitution Convention.

You've managed to completely contradict yourself.
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5649.msg75718#msg75718 date=1187621072]
    this topic is about what's appropriate and what isn't. it's not about judging other people.. it's about criticising your own wardrobe in order to make sure it's appropriate in the eyes of God, NOT other people. that goes for the boys tooo!

well it can be be called judging ppl if u add a name.
    like what just happend......

I think topic was allready answered from the posts before......now we're just having fun... ;D
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5649.msg75719#msg75719 date=1187621125]

Habibi,

I need you to do me a huge favour -- reconcile these two statements of yours for me:

I hate it because the thought of someone being judged or even misjudged because of the clothes she/he wears is awful. I mean, who cares !? Who cares what they wear!??

and

and frankly speaking, saturday night in Saint Albans and stevenage looks increasingly similar to an Annual Prostitution Convention.

You've managed to completely contradict yourself.

Yeah, OK.
    I'll explain.

Now, concerning the Annual Prostitution Convention of Saint Albans and Stevenage, I just assumed it was because of how people were dressed. I never went up to the girls and asked them :"Excuse me, are u part of the convention?".

Or, it could have been a huge Prostitution-look-alike party???? THey'd all have won!! That's for sure.

So, I don't care what they dress, and perhaps they are all normal girls who look like prostitutes, or they don't realise they look like prostitutes. Or perhaps IT REALLY REALLY was a prostitution convention party, which means anyone living near Stevenage or Saint Albans should really be thinking of changing towns.

So basically, you are doing the very thing you hate others doing.  Or am I missing something?
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5649.msg75718#msg75718 date=1187621072]
    this topic is about what's appropriate and what isn't. it's not about judging other people.. it's about criticising your own wardrobe in order to make sure it's appropriate in the eyes of God, NOT other people. that goes for the boys tooo!

THis is the conclusion: It is best to see what prostitutes are wearing or what their work uniform is, and compare yourself before leaving the house:

Ask yourself the following questions:

a) Is what I am wearing the same what a prostitute would be wearing for her job in the peak season for business?
    b) Go to Essex and ask yourself :"Do i look like a girl from Essex?"
    c) Go to Stevenage and Saint Albans, on a Saturday night, and ask yourself "Am i wearing ANYTHING that any of these girls are wearing?"

If u answered yes to any of the above, then you need to go to Abouna confess and then spend 1 week at least, in a Coptic Monastery in Zimbabwe and ask God for healing.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5649.msg75722#msg75722 date=1187621530]

So basically, you are doing the very thing you hate others doing.  Or am I missing something?

No..I'm saying they LOOKED like prostitutes. Whether they look like that because of their free will, or because it is the fashion or they can't help it, I don't know. I just hate the topic because its very ooouuffieeeee....

Do u know what i mean??
  • IF onli ppl on this site were more like koko and minagir!!!! smile ppl....and yes the discussion was dragged jus for fun... lol woop woop
  • [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5649.msg75726#msg75726 date=1187621960]
    IF onli ppl on this site were more like koko and minagir!!!! smile ppl....and yes the discussion was dragged jus for fun... lol woop woop

wouldn't it be the best site ever......even thoo it still is....

The thing is, you are coming to a conclusion based on what a person is wearing.  And yet, you say that it doesn't matter what a person wears anyway; they may be a good person on the inside.  If clothing didn't matter, you could look a person and just see a person.  You wouldn't then, subconsciously classify them as 'looking like a prostitute' or 'looking like a respectable individual'.  All you would say is, 'Hey, it's a girl' without any other descriptive title.  The reality is, none of us can do this.  We have been raised with a certain world view and we inevitably classify people into categories.  Now, you'll notice I've avoided using the word 'judging' because I don't think we are making a judgment when we look at how a person's dressed and say something like, 'That is really NOT appropriate'.  We haven't condemned this person to hell, we've merely expressed disapproval with how they are dressed.  I think we've become overly sensitive and feel that any sort of comment is a 'judgment' when it isn't.
  • [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5649.msg75726#msg75726 date=1187621960]
    IF onli ppl on this site were more like koko and minagir!!!! smile ppl....and yes the discussion was dragged jus for fun... lol woop woop

Yeah, i wish everyone here could be like Mina and Koko.
    Wouldn't that be fun! (????)
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5649.msg75730#msg75730 date=1187624015]
    [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5649.msg75726#msg75726 date=1187621960]

Yeah, i wish everyone here could be like Mina and Koko.
    Wouldn't that be fun! (????)

it would be better but not as fun.......comon...where would the fun come from if there would be no one to argu with..... ;D
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5649.msg75728#msg75728 date=1187622440]

The thing is, you are coming to a conclusion based on what a person is wearing.  And yet, you say that it doesn't matter what a person wears anyway; they may be a good person on the inside.  If clothing didn't matter, you could look a person and just see a person.  You wouldn't then, subconsciously classify them as 'looking like a prostitute' or 'looking like a respectable individual'.  All you would say is, 'Hey, it's a girl' without any other descriptive title.  The reality is, none of us can do this.  We have been raised with a certain world view and we inevitably classify people into categories.  Now, you'll notice I've avoided using the word 'judging' because I don't think we are making a judgment when we look at how a person's dressed and say something like, 'That is really NOT appropriate'.  We haven't condemned this person to hell, we've merely expressed disapproval with how they are dressed.  I think we've become overly sensitive and feel that any sort of comment is a 'judgment' when it isn't.

Knfoc...

All i can tell u is it made sense at time of publishing.

I mean... please focus on the positive aspects of the post and not the negative.

The positive aspects are that:

a) we said that the girls in the UK dress worse than the prostitutes in France. The positive aspect is that the prostitutes in France are becoming more conservative!!!
    b) We do not know whether these girls are in fact on holiday, on vacation from a different country.. we know nothing, except that EVERY SATURDAY NGHT, they are there dressed the same way: looking as prostitutes.

Now, i said "LOOKING" as prostitutes, i didnt say they were. Bear in mind that please.

Now, dressing this way MAY cause people to stumble.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5649.msg75732#msg75732 date=1187624254]
    [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5649.msg75728#msg75728 date=1187622440]

Knfoc...

All i can tell u is it made sense at time of publishing.

I mean... please focus on the positive aspects of the post and not the negative.

The positive aspects are that:

a) we said that the girls in the UK dress worse than the prostitutes in France. The positive aspect is that the prostitutes in France are becoming more conservative!!!
    b) We do not know whether these girls are in fact on holiday, on vacation from a different country.. we know nothing, except that EVERY SATURDAY NGHT, they are there dressed the same way: looking as prostitutes.

Now, i said "LOOKING" as prostitutes, i didnt say they were. Bear in mind that please.

hmmmm ya habibi,
    when u say "look like" or liken others in general is judging...just in a better way to say it.

so here ur saying they're not prostitutes but they look like them....so they partually are....[ [ < < judging > > ] ]

Now, dressing this way MAY cause people to stumble.

well of course....isn't this what we been talking about all along.
  • Mina,

If a woman is not a prostitute yet dresses like one, then it would be reasonable to think she was one?

If I saw a man dressed up as Elvis Presley, I'd have the right to ask him if he was Elvis!?? Wouldn't i!?? How is that judging!???

Enta willl judging betha7tak da ya mina!!!!

If a man dressed up as a policeman, and there was a crime in the area he was standing in, then it would be reasonable to go up and ask him :"Excuse me officer we need your help". U dont expect him to say :"Well.. im not a policeman, i just like dressing up as one!"
    Do u??
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5649.msg75734#msg75734 date=1187625340]
    Mina,

If a woman is not a prostitute yet dresses like one, then it would be reasonable to think she was one?

knowing is somthing and using that speaking to these ppl or about that, is somthing else.

If I saw a man dressed up as Elvis Presley, I'd have the right to ask him if he was Elvis!?? Wouldn't i!?? How is that judging!???

first, Elvis is dead,
    second, if u wouldn't be intelegnt enough to know he's not and ask him, than this is not judging.
    because judging happend on somthing that u would think of and gossip.

If a man dressed up as a policeman, and there was a crime in the area he was standing in, then it would be reasonable to go up and ask him :"Excuse me officer we need your help". U dont expect him to say :"Well.. im not a policeman, i just like dressing up as one!"
    Do u??

what does this have to do with wat we talkin about???
  • There does seem to be a fair bit of judging going on here. Being unclear how women who sell their services to men for money actually dress, I cannot pronounce with the finality and certainty of QT, who has the advantage of being more of an homme du monde; but I would remind myself, if I did know, that they are children of the Living God and extends to them my compassion and prayers that they should be delivered from their lives of sin.

As for young women in the West (or young me if it comes to that), anyone who finds a way to persuade them to go for an evening 'out' in clothing that their parents approve of is welcome to drop me a line - or better still, write a book, as it will be a best-seller!

Alas, in the West, we live in a culture rather like that of ancient Rome, and anyone familiar with the comments of some of the Fathers about that, can find suitable texts with which to lament the times in which we live.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • If clothing didn't matter, you could look a person and just see a person.  You wouldn't then, subconsciously classify them as 'looking like a prostitute' or 'looking like a respectable individual'.  All you would say is, 'Hey, it's a girl' without any other descriptive title.  The reality is, none of us can do this.

^^^exactly my point !!!!

it's not just the wearers fault ! it's the lookers fault as well.
    i mean the person that criticizes the clothing choices, acts as if they're completely innocent and that's most deff not the case, if everybody had a purer heart and ddin't lust over legs  then we wouldn't have this problem of clothe and everyone could basically walk around in the nude !! okay, nude, uhh...a little dirastic, but yeahh. and i realize that it would be impossible for ppl to be like that, but it just it bugs me that ppl blame it all on the ppl wearing the clothe ..and...uh !

i personally think that thinking someone looks like somethingg...isn't judging, it's justt what you think their style iss....

i'm very tired right now, and im not sure if any of what i wrote makes sense...so yeaa