self control

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues

i think in our modern society the need for self control has increased tremendously.
today when we have more temptations in front of our eyes (physcially) it sometimes becomes difficult to control our selves to keep focused on christ.
the biggest problem i find is being focused today.... we have so many things that appeals to us to our flesh and is usually right there in front of our eyes (food ---eating) (a girl at uni -----lust--sex girlfriend/boyfrind etc leading to other problems bewiderment) (people on the street --fashion---worldly cares)(cars hoses even studies can be overbearing) e.t.c

i wanna know and disscuss how and waht techniques people here have developed in terms of virtue of self control. atleast for the issues that are outlined above. ;D

Comments

• Well i take the advice of my priest is to learn verses concerning the things that trouble you and when they trouble you you say them to yourself. Another technique is to say "My Lord Jesus Christ Have Mercy On Me A Sinner, Help Me." the "Help Me" normally is not said but the first time I heard that saying was like that and I like it that way. This keeps in your head that God is always in your thoughts and watching you which reminds you when ever you are about to get out of hand. So always be on guard be praying always, do not go to things that tempt you. For example a girl that you are tempted by don't keep looking at her but rather look at the ground which also teaches you humility so remember to have God always in your thoughts trust me it works think about saints or about something about a saint maybe a saint movie or Christ's movie or the bible, but do not let your mind keep going to think about what is evil that is very dangerous because the more you think the weaker you become. If you want to know ways the devil plays with and the way to defeat him read Diabolic wars by H.H. Pope Shenouda III  here: http://www.copticchurch.org/Texts/Spirituals/Diabolic Wars.pdf.

Also a thing to remeber and we always forget is to  know that just because we are always fought does not mean to give up as a lot of saints put it "Gold when it is put on fire it shines  more and so do we when we are fought and win."

God Bless You and pray for me.
  • when i am tempted
    i find the best way is to COMPLETELY shift focus
    like 100 percent shift focus to a time where i was
    like humbled...
    or to an image of Christs' passion for me
  • Well, praying about your weekness helps. Talk to a christian person you know that knows the bible well.

Technology is something that is very addictive these days. ..with many bad things in it. We have to be crefull. 

Here is a verse that really touches me and is nice.

1 Peter 5:8

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
  • [quote author=Anba Bishoy link=topic=5643.msg75258#msg75258 date=1186544081]
    If you want to know ways the devil plays with and the way to defeat him read Diabolic wars by H.H. Pope Shenouda III  here: http://www.copticchurch.org/Texts/Spirituals/Diabolic Wars.pdf.

Also a thing to remeber and we always forget is to  know that just because we are always fought does not mean to give up as a lot of saints put it "Gold when it is put on fire it shines  more and so do we when we are fought and when."

God Bless You and pray for me.

Thanks for the link Anba Bishoy. Very nice and informative.
  • well guys thanks for the reply i ahve actually read the book on diabolic wars and the other ones on the fery spirit and the spiritual man i think they are great books

it makes sense when we read these material but it is difficult if we run into a trial and let our selves go without holding fast to some of these teachings sometimes that can be a slippery slide that can take us down wrong paths. sometimes it is small and perhaps we only waste some time before we get back on track  but other time it can teach us some big lessons.

all i am saying is that there are things that take our atttention away many times things that require our attention (like uni) many things that we should nt give too much attention to might just happen (like girls) many things we try not to give attention to or yet we still do (like scoffing down loads of meat after fasting)etc

all in all i find myself trying to knuckle down things and i always end up reading way too long into things like these which ultimately is just based on self control and focus. bishop Soiriel i think said that we can have knowledge of all this but without self control it is useless. very true while he defines a way to deal with self control in sprirtual matters i wanna general techiniques on general matters which are spiritual as well that help wit self control and focus i think waht all you guys have said i do

i follow the lightening prayers as i call them (My Lord Jesus Chirist Have mercy upon me i am a sinner)
    and also weakness points  also i ve got specific bible versus that deal which of my weakness which is great but waht about stuff when u r not having success wit
    for instant u ve just wasted 3 hrs reading and chencking mail on the net haha u stop eventually and pray but waht technique to use that help u quit from ur focus i.e. being more determinant in waht goal u set and achieveing it.
    for example i came to the net to check mail from the mail i spent reading news then reviews then mail again then the reviews perhaps on weather and befre u know its u v spent an hr.
    another exaple that shows lack of self control is wondering of thought like u r sittting downto study and before u know it ur thinking about something else like sports or what happenigning on friday etc and there u go u ve wasted half an hr

i guess the best medicine is to realise what u have done (i e wasted time) then re focus ur self wit a short prayer and try again.

except i ahve been doing this and it works but not perfectly which really annoys me.

for example any one who wtached televison can find some programes very addictive Tv being addictive . i used to be like watching the tv till bed time (12 am) and had very little control untill i just picked up the tv one day and put it in the closet. after 6 months when i saw how i didnt waste time on tv  any more. i brought it out when my family came to visit(so as not to look wired) then reliased i can do without it now i just doint turn it on any more while before if saw the Tv i ahd to see waht programmes were on but now thats not the case practically it just sites there for the entertainment of guests.

that was one technique that worked for me.

if any one wants to add anything please be my guest  and guys thanks again for ur advice