why do we get cross tattoos

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
ive heard many different stories
btw, wheres the best place to get one around bayonne or jersey city
GOD BLESS ALL

Comments

• It is just a tradition, and is by no means required for us to have them. where you can get one i can't help you with though
  • well the original reason why we get them (or so what i heard)
    was that during hte times of persecution many of the newbrons
    parents would be martyred and thus the paretns didnt wnat their
    children growing up any other religon other than Coptic Orthodox
    so they tattooed their wrists with Crosses so that the growing child will kno that he/she is a Christian
  • o and as for were to get them tattooed
    i kno a place in linden called tattooville which aint too far
    and theres also a place in elizabeth
  • you can get them from any tattoo place. But I see as there is no reason to get them now. I believe that the time that you waste getting a tattoo you can be doing something spiritual. Also it really hurts when you are old than when you are a baby.
  • I acctually was talking to abouna about this.
    He said one thing I thought was real interesting..
    He said the people do get it, means theyre christian obviously, most willing to be to the point where itll always run through their blood.
    LITERALLY.
    lol.
  • the only and logical reason for a cross tatto on the hand is to identfy ur self as a chritian. in our estate here is the US, u don't need one.
  • well i mean nowadays
    if one would get it ....it would be to follow a tradition
    more than to identify one as a Copt

plus it isnt a bad thing because it could serve as a kinda
    constant reminder that Your a Christian, so in situations
    u might see it ....and restrain from doing "un-Christian" like stuff
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5635.msg75197#msg75197 date=1186461662]
    well i mean nowadays
    if one would get it ....it would be to follow a tradition
    more than to identify one as a Copt

plus it isnt a bad thing because it could serve as a kinda
    constant reminder that Your a Christian, so in situations
    u might see it ....and restrain from doing "un-Christian" like stuff

we had many....many posts about this before. this is not cultural tradition, not a dogmatic. the cross should always be in ur heart and in front of you all the time.
  • minagir is correct, the pope said he doesn't have a tattoe of the cross because he doesn't need it on his hand because it is engraved in his heart.
  • true
    but what i meant by traditional....was that its not something of
    "religous tradition, but rather it evolved from that to become a dare i say it....a part of Coptic Idenity"

• [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5635.msg75206#msg75206 date=1186492633]
    true
    but what i meant by traditional....was that its not something of
    "religous tradition, but rather it evolved from that to become a dare i say it....a part of Coptic Idenity"

here when you say "coptic" ur talking as an egyptian or as a coptic orthodox christian. because if as a coptic orthodox christian, or a christian in general, u should always show that with ur actions and sometimes words. not a cross on ur hand.

i would sound like i am against having a cross tattoo.....trust me, i would love to have one to...but there is just no point of it of whatsoever since we're living here in the US.
  • I was told that after the invasion of the arabs, they forced the Copts to pay high taxes to remain Christian, and when a person came to pay the taxes, they tattood that person with the cross.
  • [quote author=bishoykhali link=topic=5635.msg75210#msg75210 date=1186495492]
    I was told that after the invasion of the arabs, they forced the Copts to pay high taxes to remain Christian, and when a person came to pay the taxes, they tattood that person with the cross.

am not sure about ur source of this.
    but the cross was for us to know each other during the invasion of arabs....not the opposite.
  • By Coptic Idenity i mean Coptic Orhtodox
    adn i HIGHLY agree with what you said about
    acting as a Copt not just looking it...

but as for the Cross....i bleive taht....it now has become a part of us
    more Coptic Orhtodox Cultrual rather than Meaningful

it now has become a symbol of our Heritage as Copts, which we should be proud of, this is why alot of us still get it

Btw i tend to use the word Coptic alot, by it I mean the COC not Egyptians in general
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5635.msg75212#msg75212 date=1186498767]
    By Coptic Idenity i mean Coptic Orhtodox
    adn i HIGHLY agree with what you said about
    acting as a Copt not just looking it...

but as for the Cross....i bleive taht....it now has become a part of us
    more Coptic Orhtodox Cultrual rather than Meaningful

it now has become a symbol of our Heritage as Copts, which we should be proud of, this is why alot of us still get it

the cross is by far the sign of our salvation and many more things. but everything u do in this life have to have  meaning or a reason. why do u think we have bishops who review our rites. our rites are effected by cultural. and do to a change of culture or a society, a change of rite is do.

same here with the cross.
    now like i said before that it was proven that there is no reason in for it.
    now anyone can what he wants ya habibi.
    i might get one.......

Btw i tend to use the word Coptic alot, by it I mean the COC not Egyptians in general

yes...everyone does....
  • I'm sorry, I should have been clearer, when I said "they" I meant the tax collectors, so that the taxed christians would be the only ones getting the tattoo.

My Sunday School teacher was the one who told me this, but that was a long time ago, I might be mistaken, I'll ask him again just in case
  • [quote author=bishoykhali link=topic=5635.msg75215#msg75215 date=1186500068]
    I'm sorry, I should have been clearer, when I said "they" I meant the tax collectors, so that the taxed christians would be the only ones getting the tattoo.

My Sunday School teacher was the one who told me this, but that was a long time ago, I might be mistaken, I'll ask him again just in case

well that makes sense to.
    actually during one of the crul kings era, christians had to carry a stone cross that is as heavy they are on their neck.
  • wow didn't know about the heavy cross thing. Do you know whose rule this was (ie. Roman, Turkish, Arab etc.)?

thanks,

Bishoy
  • [quote author=bishoykhali link=topic=5635.msg75220#msg75220 date=1186502392]
    wow didn't know about the heavy cross thing. Do you know whose rule this was (ie. Roman, Turkish, Arab etc.)?

oh. that was one of the arab kings. can't remeber his name thoo.
    actuaily if u would to talk to a muslim person, he would tell you the they would call copts, '3adma zar'2a', meaning "blue bone".....cuz when u'd have to carry a cross that is that have on ur neck, the top bone of ur spine would turn blue.
  • wow thanks for all the info. Where do you learn all this? Just books? or is there a site?
  • [quote author=bishoykhali link=topic=5635.msg75244#msg75244 date=1186509951]
    wow thanks for all the info. Where do you learn all this? Just books? or is there a site?

well no specific source. church, servants, books, sermons........
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5635.msg75180#msg75180 date=1186447817]
    well the original reason why we get them (or so what i heard)
    so they tattooed their wrists with Crosses so that the growing child will kno that he/she is a Christian

Wow I didn't know this? When was the time of presecution? Is this in Egypt?

Interesting.
  • [quote author=Hailemikael link=topic=5635.msg75265#msg75265 date=1186562467]
    [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5635.msg75180#msg75180 date=1186447817]
    well the original reason why we get them (or so what i heard)

Wow I didn't know this? When was the time of presecution? Is this in Egypt?
    Interesting.

yes this is. if am not mistaken it was during Emperor Diocletian rule around the late 300s
  • Doesn't it say in the bible that u shuldnt grow ur hair and get a tattoo cause ull be an embarrassment.(i dunno i think i heard it somewhere)
  • From what i know
    it means tha one should not defile his body
    His God Given Body by inking it for man's pleasure
    but then again our Little Cross isnt exaclty a superficial tattooo
    it has deep meaning it isnt to show off to people
    Its to serve as a constant reminder of who we are
  • [quote author=copt4eva link=topic=5635.msg75664#msg75664 date=1187488651]
    Doesn't it say in the bible that u shuldnt grow ur hair and get a tattoo cause ull be an embarrassment.(i dunno i think i heard it somewhere)

I agree! Getting a tattoo is actually against the bible. Look at Leviticus 19:28 "`You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the Lord."

Seeing that we are not in an era of prosecution, then there really is no reason why we ought to get a tattoo. Especially now that we know it is against the bible!
  • I have also heard many things about the Coptic Crosses on the wrists and I think it is only if you lived in Egypt, it was there to show if you're a Christian.
  • [quote author=Doogie link=topic=5635.msg75669#msg75669 date=1187501625]
    [quote author=copt4eva link=topic=5635.msg75664#msg75664 date=1187488651]
    Doesn't it say in the bible that u shuldnt grow ur hair and get a tattoo cause ull be an embarrassment.(i dunno i think i heard it somewhere)

I agree! Getting a tattoo is actually against the bible. Look at Leviticus 19:28 "`You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the Lord."

Seeing that we are not in an era of prosecution, then there really is no reason why we ought to get a tattoo. Especially now that we know it is against the bible!

I believe that was just the old testament.  I don't think God minds us putting a tatoo of the Cross He was crucified on on our body.

In my country Ethiopia, in the country side.... a lot of the women (mostly from my tribe- amharas) have it tatooed on their forehead...
    a permanent one... and some on their wrists... it is like Tradition.  Our church was also prosecuted in the 11th century by a Jew queen and in the 16th century from a Muslim in the East Coast around today's Somalia....with the help of the Ottomans.  He destroyed many churchs and killed manyh, but with the help of the portugues army, we were able to repel and defeat him.  Then the portugees wanted to make us Catholic in return for their service ... ::) ::)  So ... we had to kick them out too.  ;D 
  • [quote author=Doogie link=topic=5635.msg75669#msg75669 date=1187501625]
    [quote author=copt4eva link=topic=5635.msg75664#msg75664 date=1187488651]

its not fully wrong. it depends on which way you use it.
    same as many things in the bible.

[quote author=Hailemikael link=topic=5635.msg75679#msg75679 date=1187526456]
    or=copt4eva link=topic=5635.msg75664#msg75664 date=1187488651]
    I believe that was just the old testament.
    ALL the commandments in the old testement still apply for us today except if it was renewed in the new testement. u can't live the new with out the old.

I don't think God minds us putting a tatoo of the Cross He was crucified on on our body.

He was crucified for you to abolish death and grant you salvation. not on ur body....only through it to fulfill the plan of salvation.

• Galatians 6:14-"But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."

When the bible speaks against cutting or tattooing the body, it means that we should not defile it. The cross of our Lord Jesus Christ is something that we are actually encouraged, as it says in this verse, to boast in!
    It is perfectly fine to get a cross tattoo. Anything else is forbidden, whether it be a pretend face of a Christ, a declared saint by the church, or anything else so to speak. Its only the cross we are allowed to boast in.