Wisdom

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Why in the bible is wisdom referred to as her?

Comments

• Where in the bible are you talking about?
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I could be wrong, but I believe that in Aramaic and Hebrew, as in Greek, the word 'wisdom' itself is feminine.  That being said, Wisdom, in the Old Testament, is essentially personified which is why it is often addressed in the feminine.  It is much the same way we, today, refer to the Church as 'she', because the Church is the bride of Christ.
  • yeah that is a good question and i believw that is totaly the rite answer. 
  • Yes, in my language too (amharic, official Ethiopian language) ... wisdom (Tibeb) is referred as 'her'.  Don't know why though. :D In the language actually, small and irrelevant things are considred 'she' since we have feminine and mascline for every thing.  But wisdom is really not a small thing, and especially not irrelevant, because it is something that is greatest of all; I don't know why it is called a she.  ;D
  • is the wisdom u are talking about human or divine wisdom. 

/
    mahraeel
    plzz p4m sister in Christ
  • i guess this runs along the same lines
    why we refer to the church in a feminine way?
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

The Church is referred to as the  'Bride of Christ'.  Thus, it would make sense to refer to the Church in the feminine.  Also, in Greek, the word church, εκκλησία (ekklesia) is feminine.
  • [quote author=Anba Bishoy link=topic=5560.msg74273#msg74273 date=1184437910]
    Where in the bible are you talking about?

Especially in proverbs, Solomon refers to wisdom by using "she" and "her". I am not sure why this is done either.

• I think that wisdom mostly in anything that is written by Solomon the wise is about the church for example.
      Proverbs 1:20-25

20 Wisdom calls aloud in the street,
          she raises her voice in the public squares;

21 at the head of the noisy streets [c] she cries out,
          in the gateways of the city she makes her speech:

22 "How long will you simple ones [d] love your simple ways?
          How long will mockers delight in mockery
          and fools hate knowledge?

23 If you had responded to my rebuke,
          I would have poured out my heart to you
          and made my thoughts known to you.

24 But since you rejected me when I called
          and no one gave heed when I stretched out my hand,

25 since you ignored all my advice
          and would not accept my rebuke,

Since the church is always calling to us and we do not listen. Because wisdom is not a person but a grace and the church has wisdom and the church shouts to us with wisdom telling us to return to her. As in verse 25 ignored my advice will how many times do we ignore the churches advice, and would not accept when the church corrects us through her servants. So wisdom I believe at least in anything written by Solomon refers to the church. God Bless You and pray for me.