Shadrach, Meshach & Abed-Nego

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
i've just read the story bout the three men in the fire -> Shedrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego....
when they were thrown into the fire and so on...
my question is...who is Asarja (Daniel 3:24,25)
and another question...they are a lot of english written bibles...and in none of them i found asarja...

ah .... u all know the praise "Aripsalin" which is in Daniel chapter 3...i dint find it in any english written bible...

a bit strange, isnt it?

pp4m

Aripsalin

Comments

• Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego are simply the Babylonian names given to Ananias, Azarias and Misael by the prince of the eunuchs.

Daniel 1:6-7
    Now among these were of the children of Judah, Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah: Unto whom the prince of the eunuchs gave names: for he gave unto Daniel the name of Belteshazzar; and to Hananiah, of Shadrach; and to Mishael, of Meshach; and to Azariah, of Abednego.

Ananias or Hananiah, it's the same name. Just another way of writing it. The same goes for the other names. Another explanation is that the names in Aripsalin are from the Coptic bible, and the names were taken from the Greek Septuagint translation, which may be slightely different in spelling, compared to the Hebrew.
  • [quote author=Αριψαλιν link=topic=5409.msg72079#msg72079 date=1181166139]
    ah .... u all know the praise "Aripsalin" which is in Daniel chapter 3...i dint find it in any english written bible...

a bit strange, isnt it?

The Song of the Three children is found in the Greek LXX version of the Old Testament, which is the one used by the Orthodox Church.

So you will find it in any English translation that includes the Deuterocanonical books.

However, it is not found in the Hebrew Masoretic texts, used by Jews and Protestants, and so is not present in the majority of English Bibles since they are based on the Hebrew rather than Greek texts.
  • thank u for ur replies...god bless u...

pp4m
  • Yeah...we translate many hymns from Coptic...and translation of names is a subjective thing as I understand it.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5409.msg72082#msg72082 date=1181173850]
    [quote author=Αριψαλιν link=topic=5409.msg72079#msg72079 date=1181166139]

a bit strange, isnt it?

The Song of the Three children is found in the Greek LXX version of the Old Testament, which is the one used by the Orthodox Church.

So you will find it in any English translation that includes the Deuterocanonical books.

However, it is not found in the Hebrew Masoretic texts, used by Jews and Protestants, and so is not present in the majority of English Bibles since they are based on the Hebrew rather than Greek texts.

Where do you get Greek LXX version from,
  • [quote author=Anba Bishoy link=topic=5409.msg72566#msg72566 date=1181928706]
    Where do you get Greek LXX version from,

The only complete translation of the LXX into English as far as I know is that of Sir Lancelot Brenton, which you can find online here:
    http://www.ecmarsh.com/lxx/

The makers of the Orthodox Study Bible are currently making a translation of the LXX into modern English with study notes, which will be released in about a years time (see lxx.org).

There is also another Orthodox translation being done by a guy called Peter Papoutsis, of which the 5 books of Moses and the Psalms are available for purchase so far..

However there are many translations of the Deuterocanonical books of the LXX. The original version of the King James Version, for example, contained these additional books, as does the RSV, NRSV, Jerusalem Bible, etc.

The Holy Trasfiguration Monastery has also released a very good translation of the Book of Psalms from the LXX, which I would recommend
  • thank u very much...i have the bible in german with includes the whole translation from the greek and hebrew....i was just wondering why i couldn fid it in english...but now i have it ...thank u very much