i just cant give it up!!

whywhy
edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
i cant give up msn..its not possible..what do i do

im almost starting the most imprtant yr of my academic life..and msn is toooooo much of a time waster for me! although i know this...i cant STOP IT!!!

WHAT DO I DO?

Comments

• well...msn is hard thing to give up...just try to reduce it or to make a system to study ur subjects and afterwards u can do msn...i do so...it works..it was hard for me...but u need rotine
    pray for that u can stop it or just reduce it
    god bless u
    pray for me
  • Have you considered therapy?

Are you American or Australian?
  • therapy..UM NO>>I DONT THINK IT NEEDS SUCH DRAMATIC ACTION!

im australian
  • [coptic]+ Pi`<rictoc aftonf>[/coptic]

Have you considered uninstalling it from your computer?  That would certainly prevent you from using it at home.
  • therapy lol nice one.......sorry i found that funni........altho some addictions do need the intervention of therapy

i agree with Κηφᾶς, UNISTALL MSN, thats tha only way......coz if its still on ur comp the temptation will still be there and will create a distraction as u know ;)

God bless n take care
  • nothing stops me from re installing..im telling u guys this is impossible..

i think its a sin?

Well, you could always sell your computer.  :D

And no, it's not a sin.
  • [quote author=why link=topic=5227.msg70081#msg70081 date=1176989016]
    nothing stops me from re installing..im telling u guys this is impossible..

i think its a sin?

Have you submitted your details yet to the FBI? At least tell them where you are, and what you do. Why not give them your MSN id?
  • FBI?

are u mocking me?

and Κηφᾶς , its a family computer!!

can we work more on ME and not msn..can anyone lurk for verses in the bible  related to adictions OR SOMETHING!
  • A man who can control himself is greater than a king who can control a country. (Proverbs)

Saint Anthony's Doxology: "Remove from your hearts all worldly desires those that darken the mind".

Something that controls you, and you are an addict to it is a sin. For example: smoking. If you are dependent on it, and without it, you can't live, then its a sin.

[quote author=why link=topic=5227.msg70085#msg70085 date=1176992443]
    FBI?

are u mocking me?

and Κηφᾶς , its a family computer!!

can we work more on ME and not msn..can anyone lurk for verses in the bible  related to adictions OR SOMETHING!

Sometimes it is very difficult to work on yourself, which is why I initially suggested that you uninstall MSN completely from your computer.  Then, work on doing your best not to re-install it.  I think that will be an easier task, then actually seeing the MSN icon on the bottom of your screen and wanting to open it and sign in.  Another thing is cut down your computer usage.  Use it only for school work and once what ever work you need to do is done, don't linger on the computer.  Just get up and walk away.  Also, get your parents involved.  They can be a great help.  If they see you on, they can always gently remind you that you want to quit using it so much and help ease you off of it.  Just some thoughts.
  • i had the same problem and currently have the same problem except for me its that my FOC told me to stop it... so i tried to stop it out of the fear of disappointing my FOC and i DID for a while... i would go check my email on msn.com but i avoided that green guy on the bottom. Often i fail... sometimes Satan tempts me by putting in my head that ill just sign in and appear offline... however i cant play with fire and expect not to get burned... same thing here. Right before i read this post i actually was tempted to go on and i did :(
    my advice to u is this... whenever u see the msn icon and feel like clicking always remind urself that satan is trying to tempt me and i will not allow him to win!!! if he trys to put in ur mind that u have to ask a friend about something or project... NO is the answer! use the phone if theres no phone number EMAIL THEM NO MSN!
    often u will find that excuses come up such as they dont check email blah blah blah... becareful its satan trying to be tricky with u.
    Unbelievable, honestly this devil guy is quite tricky, if u guys want to read a good book for fun try diabolic wars by Pope Shenouda... tells a lot about how satan tempts us in sooo many ways and we dont even realize it EXCELLED BOOK VERY INTERESTING, reccomend u read it sometime.
    Anyways why it is VERY difficult because i was a msn maniac myself but u have to puch urself.. its not easy tell ur FOC so he can constantly remind u every month and so that u can at least have some fear of disappointing him or something.
    AND REMEMBER msn= waist of time    waist of time= SIN  :( :(
    Rabena ma3aky, pray lots

"watch and pray lest you fall into temptation"

take care
    Enough
  • For me personally i am online everyday, but i see nothing wrong with it unless it is taking you away from God. and since you are worried academically that it is hurting you then it is not a sin. it is just hurting you academically. now i am not saying that is a good thing but i would definetly not put going on msn as a sin. it is a means of communicating with friends and such. If you feel that it is taking you away from God then stop. If you are only worried about not doing well in school then try and limit the time you spend on it by preocuppying yourself with your schoolwork and read the Bible and sing hymns. Are we not all on this website right now. Is going to this website a sin if it takes you away from your studies. No. it is only a sin if it takes you away from God. If you are doing school work. why are you on the computer in the first place if your hw does not require it. If this is truelly something of concern then pray and talk to your FOC. Sorry if i was rambling on. Hope i helped.

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness,
  • Well i don think it is a sin unless your using it against God.. if you don think you cant ever stop going on MSN>. ou can alwayys use it to help you with schoo l work.. or if u have your own books to study with .. do that first then when you finish part of it.. give your self time to go on the computer as a break or somthing..
  • Therapy lol...i thought that was pretty funny.. no offense.. lol.. And why would she call the FBI?? Just askin.....
  • [quote author=He Wept link=topic=5227.msg70104#msg70104 date=1177024499]
    Well i don think it is a sin unless your using it against God.. if you don think you cant ever stop going on MSN>. ou can alwayys use it to help you with schoo l work.. or if u have your own books to study with .. do that first then when you finish part of it.. give your self time to go on the computer as a break or somthing..

the actual act of msn is not a sin, actually it can be used to praise god, like helping friends out with their problems and stuff...but in my case..i dont do it to praise god..and seondly..THIS IS ADDICTION..

btw..i can unistall msn..once again..a family computer..and just take it from me..no msn in my family= sibling problems

thanks for the advice ppl, especialy jydeacon..BE MY SUPPORT for my FOC is not as..um demanding as u..i talked to him about it he ws likejust try ..not too much of a help
  • any time you need help just give me a shout out

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • Hey "WHY"
    i hope i am not too late, I was actualy busy with school and stuff!
    any-who
    I don't think it is addiction, because it is all in your head! you believe you can't stop, and you believe it is addiction! but once you change the way you think about it, you won't go on msn at all.....!!
    I had the same problem with movies, once i see a movie i get soo into it, and i wouldn't leave the t.v. and it takes me away from the work i have to do. so i decide which is more important to me, T.V. or School Work! i picked school work, however, i still watch t.v. when i am soooooo stressed!

It is all inside your head why.  You say it is addiction because you believe so.  But if you stop believing that, then it is not addiction, and you will stop going on msn.

God be with you,
    Pray for me, I have exams in 2 weeks!  :-\
    bentBABAyasooa`
  • you might be right thanks for ur post!
  • I should be doctorat nafs (mental doctor), bas usually mental doctors are the crazy ones! ( sorry if there are mental docs here)
    I see on t.v. they are the worest than their patients, but again don't believe everything on T.V.
  • Why,
    I studied this in a psychology course. Its called DISPLACEMENT.
    Its where you have 10001 things to do in your life, but before you start, you HAVE to sharpen EVERY single pen. Before you start on anything essential that needs to be done, you HAVE to go and tidy up your room. You may not be addicted, you may be displacing essential things that need to be done.

The answer is this: rather than go on the internet / chat to avoid(displace) getting the essential things done, its best to take a break. A REAL break. Then finish off the essential things.

You need to sit down with yourself and write a list of priorities / tasks/actions that need to be done. For example:

1.  Study for exams
    2.  Help parents in the house
    3.  Tidy room
    4.  Call friends...
    5... etc...

When you've done this list, just make sure the most important task is done and out of the way. THen do the rest. If you feel you have to chat on MSN before u start the task, then you need to ask yourself "WHY?" - what's the root cause behind you NOT wanting to do that task. THe reason could be: YOU ARE NOT LOOKING FORWARD to doing that task. You could be displacing it.

Its like a parking fine that has to be dealt with. If you hide it, it just grows in value, and you have to pay more. Its soemthing in life that everyone has to learn: PRIORITISING YOUR ACTIVITIES/WORK!!!!

Yalla, good luck

[quote author=why link=topic=5227.msg70111#msg70111 date=1177030782]
    [quote author=He Wept link=topic=5227.msg70104#msg70104 date=1177024499]
    Well i don think it is a sin unless your using it against God.. if you don think you cant ever stop going on MSN>. ou can alwayys use it to help you with schoo l work.. or if u have your own books to study with .. do that first then when you finish part of it.. give your self time to go on the computer as a break or somthing..

the actual act of msn is not a sin, actually it can be used to praise god, like helping friends out with their problems and stuff...but in my case..i dont do it to praise god..and seondly..THIS IS ADDICTION..

btw..i can unistall msn..once again..a family computer..and just take it from me..no msn in my family= sibling problems

thanks for the advice ppl, especialy jydeacon..BE MY SUPPORT for my FOC is not as..um demanding as u..i talked to him about it he ws likejust try ..not too much of a help
  • [quote author=why link=topic=5227.msg70081#msg70081 date=1176989016]
    nothing stops me from re installing..im telling u guys this is impossible..

i think its a sin?

It's called Gluttony.

It's not about msn, your computer, the devil.. whatever.. stop blaming everything else and look at the real reason to why this is actually happening. I was obsessed with msn for several years actually.. and when I look back, it's those really down and weak periods of time that I was litterally on 24/7. And I recognised that at any one of those times, there was a boy involved. Not necessarily one that i dated or whatever.. just a 'friend' that made me feel special ..Another thing that I realised, is that EVERYTHING ELSE in my life was completely trashed: my school work, my relationships with friends and family [especially parents].. but mostly my spiritual life. I'm not sure when or how the msn-obsessed me changed her ways, but I am sure I don't want her back. I do go on now and then to say hi to the odd friend.. but I find no satisfaction in it anymore, like.. i dont crave it.. Actually, now that I think about it, I think that my msn days ended around the time my interest in 'boys' ended. Maybe that's it.. I don't know...

So instead of deleting msn or trying any other short-term solution.. look for the root.. sometimes recognition is enough.

Even though my msn days are over, I still find many other ways to waste my time.. so I'm not exactly the master of self-control.. totally my weakness.. and because I can't control myself.. all I can do I call out for help from someone who can.. Ask and you shall receive. That's all you have to do. Just ask and believe that He's got the power..

Just say
    "Dear Father,
    I have a problem, it's me."
    &&& He'll surely reply:
    "Dear Child,
    I have The Answer, it's ME."

+God Bless
  • hi why,
    u seem to have alot of spare time to spend online.what about other things in life ? don`t u like to go out with friends ? don`t u like to watch a movie on T.V.? don`t u have a book to read?
    i will tell u a secert of mine,
    when i first registered to tasbeha.org,i used to spend alot of time in front of my pc.i took days and weeks reading every topic that was sent before i register.i was going crazy.become always late for meetings,hymns` lessons and even my friends.finally i found only one thing ... this made my much more depressed,took me away from my friends and isolated me from enjoying other things in life  :(
    now,i just go once to check my mail and any replies for some topics then leave ....
    i`m sure u have alot of things to do,as vassilios said,try to list them and see how much fun u miss in life just to spend time in front of ur PC
    hope this help
    :)
  • thanks everrryone for ur posts..

ill update you..okaiie i HAVE inproved however im not close ot being good enuf..i have my gooddays and bad..and yesterday was probably the WORST.. 7 LONG STRAIGHT HRS ON MSN>>>>>>> I CALL IT DEPRESSSSSION!!

todaiie there is an improvement...

thanks everyone for ur help..especially jydeacon :D thanks matiie :D
  • Tell all the people you normally speak to on msn to block you until the end of your exams. If you urgently need them, you could always just e-mail or phone them, so no reason why you can't do that.