computer and holy week

egy
edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
i know that youar not supposed to go on the computer during HOLY WEEK, but is it alright to go on tasbeha, it is an orthodox site andit is religious, does anyone know the answer to this

EgY

Comments

• You really should only focus on our Lord and His suffering for our sake that week. but if you are going to listen to the live recordings and stuff like that then it should be fine.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=egy link=topic=5123.msg68849#msg68849 date=1174354122]
    i know that youar not supposed to go on the computer during HOLY WEEK,

I don't like that sort of mentality: 'I know you are not supposed to do etc.' or 'Is such and such a thing wrong' or 'Is such and such a thing okay'.  In life, don't think about what is right and wrong, what you are 'supposed' to do or not.  That is not how Christ wants us to live our lives.  We should always put Him before us at all times.  We should love Him and want to live for Him.  When we have that in mind, we will not think about how we are 'supposed' to behave or if something is 'right' or 'wrong'.  Our actions will flow naturally from our love for our Lord.  That being said, who told you that you are not supposed to go on the computer for Holy Week?  What you should do is focus on Christ and on His passion during this very holy period.  If you wish to listen to hymns and it requires a computer, then so be it.  God knows I will be on a computer during the Passion Week and that's simply because I am in grad school and my work requires that I use a computer. 

I believe it was Augustine who said: "Love and do as you like".  Love God, truly, deeply love Him with all your heart, and do as you like.

Please pray for me.
  • [quote author=egy link=topic=5123.msg68849#msg68849 date=1174354122]
    i know that youar not supposed to go on the computer during HOLY WEEK, but is it alright to go on tasbeha, it is an orthodox site andit is religious, does anyone know the answer to this

not going on the computer, not watching tv or listening to music, some ppl also say not eating sweets; there are all tradition acts that are done in egy to make us feel and concentrate the suffering of Christ. after all this is the holiest week of the year. so doing somthing that would take you away from the main lesson of the week wouldn't be right.
  • thanks for the replies,  :)
  • you can do pretty much everything in holy week..its comes back to you and what u usually do..some people fast till 3 then eat a small meal, some people give up thier cell phone, some people give up thier computer. If you  use your computer for important stuff, ofcourse you might not be able to give it up, bas if you just go and talk to friends and stuff like that, then i think you can give that up for one week. Especially some ppl are guna have school during the holy week and school work sometimes require using the computer. That might be alittle hard not doing your hw. Try to think wisely and am sure you can tell wats right for you from what wrong because not everything suites everyone!

GBU
    sandra
  • Dear Egy,

Κηφᾶς offers pretty good advice. We must not become like the Pharisees, who prided themselves on keeping to the letter of the law, but in so doing neglected its spirit.

It is easy to become puffed up with pride, thinking that one has kept the fast and deprived oneself of pleasures; such were those Apostles who chided Mary for anointing the feet of Our Lord with precious ointment. We can all err. What matters is what is in your heart.

If you use your computer for unChristian purposes, it is wrong, and it doesn't matter what week it is you do it. If you use it for your work, to keep in touch with friends, or to learn more about the Faith, then all these things can be sanctified to Him. Sometimes we make the mistake of thinking that only we know why we do things; of course that is wrong - He knows.

So, worship the Lord, with all your heart, and He will not begrudge you a little fun - He died to save us all; but, of course, we should show due respect and love back. As long as you do that, and remember to go to Church as you should, you will know, from your conscience, whether you are doing right.

But re read Κηφᾶς's post - it is excellent advice.

May you have a blessed Holy Week,

In Christ,

John