cyrillian liturgy ......

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
hi guys,
i won`t say whether i`m with or against the recording of cyrillian liturgy by HIOC,
i just want to know ur opinion ...
if we shouldn`t pray it in the tune of Gregorian liturgy so how should we pray it ?
should we stop praying it in coptic as we don`t have trusted sources for it as many people say or what should we do ? ??? ??? ??? ???

again,i`m not attacking or defending it ,just thoyght about what we should do...

Comments

• I have a feeling the whole coptic church is just as confused as you are.
  • [quote author=davidschanter link=board=2;threadid=4906;start=0#msg66526 date=1169582517]
    I have a feeling the whole coptic church is just as confused as you are.

not as whole really. you can speak to a lot of older deacons and they would just agree with abouna mettias.
  • I gave my opinion on this subject on another thread.

The current recording is the only thing we have...the alternative is having nothing.

Read/view the interview under this link where fr Mattias Nasr speaks about the Cyrillian Liturgy, and form your own opinion:

http://www.copticheritage.org/PagEd+index-page_id-817.phtml
  • Did any priest or bishop give an opposing opinion to the recordings?
  • [quote author=davidschanter link=board=2;threadid=4906;start=0#msg66535 date=1169587828]
    Did any priest or bishop give an opposing opinion to the recordings?

when it comes to alhan there is no one in control.
  • yea i guess your right.
    Its a blood sport
  • in my opinion if anything the closest it can be prayed is in the Basil tune because it is to God the Father as the Gregorian is to God the Son. And there are many recordings i think one is by a bishop right here on this site but anyway it shouldnt be prayed in the Gregorian tune because of Who the liturgy is addressing.
  • who it addresses has nothing to do with the tune. we have songs and hymns like Piepnevma Emparakleeton which is for the Holy Spirit and another song for the Feast of Asension that have the same tune.
  • What is this all about, is someone in the church trying to change a tune or something???????????? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=board=2;threadid=4906;start=0#msg66866 date=1170213390]
    who it addresses has nothing to do with the tune. we have songs and hymns like Piepnevma Emparakleeton which is for the Holy Spirit and another song for the Feast of Asension that have the same tune.

you're right. but it is written and noted taht this hymn is thin on this tune and that on this, but there is no refrence for any of the tune of the liturgy.