Temptation!!

edited July 2004 in Faith Issues
guys, there are many times temptation is placed right infront of us, and im sick of falling.
now i heard them all, sign of the cross useing the bible, but wen u get into a tough situation, its not easy for those things to pop in our head,
i read books about people who struggled with temptation, some became saints, and others fell to the sin.
i know temptation are tests of faith...
but wat is the best thing we can do to ensure that we dont fall?
how do we limit the temptaions in our lives? by not giving them oppertunities to present themselves?

what do u think?

Comments

• I agree Servant of Jesus.

G.J.I, Temptation is a test, pass it and you gain strength and wisdom, fail it, and you see Christ's arms open wide for confession and forgivness....However even when you fall AND struggle to rise again you gain wisdom...

However you are always provided with weapons from Jesus Christ...but I guess you think there's no need for them...lol

But there is MUCH need for them..see, God provides a way, ALWAYS...

1 Corinthians 10
    13No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

God Bless You.

Michael

• Actually from the story of St Antonius u can learn that the best weapon against temptation is HUMILITY AND BEING HUMBLE. If u depend on ur own strenght then u will fall, no doubt.

Besides u have to fall and rise again to gain experience in the spiritual life.

2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; 3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience (James 1:2-3)
  • oi guys has any one eva read "spiritual warfares" by H.H pope Shenuda
    ive just started and i recomend it to all the youth on this website. its really helpful
  • Yeah it's great

offers loads of solutions for problems and temptations

u should also read:

-Diabolic wars
    -Life of purity and repentance
    -Charactaristics of the spiritual path

great books :)
  • Temptation... >:(, thats all i have to say, lolx...naahh u guys want my opinion? of course u dont so i'll tell u neways, lolx....I think that if u have the fear of the Lord inside u, u will be more likely to defeat the devil. We all know that the devil covers lies in chocolate and sprinkles and makes it melt in our faces so that we start to sweat because we're so tempted, but if u have the fear of God in u, u will be thinking about how u will be hurting God first before u start thinking about how it will please u. We all get sugar coated lies and sometimes acually fall into them but that doesnt mean God isnt waiting with arms wide open like Coptic Defender mentioned. My FOC told me that the devil is constantly on ur back when u r at ur highest level of spirituality and he will constantly be there putting stubling blocks for u, but if u walk in the way of the Lord u will be able to recognize them before they even exist....theres a verse in the bible, not sure where it says that that sheep will recognize the shepherds voice when he calls or sumthing like that...in James 1:12-15 it says:

"Blessed is the man who endures temptaion for when he has been approved he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love him. Let no one say when he is tempted I'm tempted by God for God cannot be tempted nor does he himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is full grown it brings forth death."

There is also another verse in 2 Timothy 2:22 I'm not exactly sure of the verse but it said something like flee away from all the things that stimulate youthful lust and follow anything that makes u want to do the right thing and to pursue peace and love and something about the companionship of those who call on the Lord with a pure heart....hope that helped in a way ;)

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*
  • ok this might sound weird...but bare with me....lol... ;D ;D ;D....i think sometimes you have to fall...its like a wake up call that you are furthering yourself from god...of course i dont any of u for sumthing bad to happen.... god forbid...god forbid....but sumtimes u need to suffer to get closer to god and to realize that He's all you need in this life....i have so many friends that need a wake up call and i could only pray that god doesnt have to wake them up like that.....im ok with me and god against the world.....lol....but i might lose him sometimes...... :'( ;D