What if you don't mean it??

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hi everyone. I was just wondering, is it a sin when you really don't mean something. I mean, we do this all the time, we just joke around with eachother and we know that no one means anything but I'm talking about something just slipping out but not from the heart..I think it is but some people say it may not since it's not sincere.

Comments

• means what? What word or phrase?

Generally, I'd say no, but its your responsibility to make sure you clear things up with the other person
  • Some times sin can occur even if you don't mean a particular result. Extreme carelessness can be a sin as well, particularly if such carelessness rises to the level of moral indifference to human life. One example that comes to mind is illegal street drag racing. The racers most likely don't specifically seek to harm people, but because many care so little for the safety of others, it seems to me that they are sinning.

Of course, this is just a gut feeling rather than based on any Biblical authority. So take that with a grain of salt. :)
    God bless!
  • you are right, negligence is in and of itself sinful, not as great a sin as purposeful, but still sinful
  • um...check this out...

James 3:5-12
    "See how great a forest a little fire kindles! 6And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. 7For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. 8But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 9With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. 10Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. 11Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening? 12Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh."

tame your tongue...
  • Wow, outstanding work Paul!

The way I see it, once something is said, it can never be taken back. If you utter a word, it may be forgiven, but will permanently be etched in the mind of the person you said it to. You may not have meant it, and maybe they have forgiven you, but the damage was done at one point. Self control is extremely important in a person’s life.

Titus 1:8
    …as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just, holy, self-controlled

Be extremely vigilant of the words you utter, once they leave your mouth, they will never return.

As Paul so wisely put it; tame your tongue…
  • wow..thanx guys :)
  • Luke 6
    A Tree Is Known by Its Fruit
    43 "For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush. 45A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks."

hope that helped.

Mike
  • :o WOOOOO
    GUYS/GIRLS [glow=blue,2,300]SOPT ON[/glow] 8)
  • huh? ???
  • duble huh??? ???