cOnFeSsIoN

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hello Everyone!!! how are u all..? its been so long since i've been on Tasbeha...i've had a rough few months so plz everyone remember me in your prayers and i'm sure the Lord will get me through!

I have a random question about confession.... i've heard some ppl do their confession over the phone or through e-mailing Abouna...now...i just want to ask... am i the only one that thinks thats the slightest bit "odd"? i don't understand how u do confession over the phone or by e-mail unless ur circumstances are so severe that u can't get to church and speak to Abouna face to face.

???

Coptic21

Comments

• I DOOOO...

how can they get the prayer of absolution the one that abouna prays on you and then breathes on ur head...OVER EMAIL OR THE PHONE..

maybe u heard or understood wrong..

that they just ask for ADVICE over the phone and email...NOT confession!!!!!
  • wow ive never heard that before!!!!

anyway it is odd

Krisitna123
  • no actualy i have know this for a long time i know people who actualy text abouna they're confessions and when they see him they get absolved or he replies wit the absolution but he actualy does the cross thing and the blow when he see's him ;)

i also know few people who do confess through email and phone they're nothin odd they are doing the same thing as if they were infront of abouna i dont think the person would be in the bthroom while confessin on the phone or cooking etc... lol
    and abouna will give advice on the phone too maybe these people are busy but actualy still have a relationship with god and thts not bad cause there are alot of cases where people get busy and never think about god

+Godbless+
  • I confessed on the phone once but it was beacause my church didnt have a priest and it was diffucult to get with one to confess. I was only 7 though so i dont recall if it was a real confession or if my parents were just getting me in the habbit.

now that you brought up the subject now i am actually confused.
  • wow everything is so high tech these days!!

anyway if this is now the common practice whats the difference then between the way the Catholics administer confession??

therefore is it acceptable?

Kristina123
  • [quote author=Kristina123 link=board=11;threadid=4029;start=0#msg56503 date=1150623058]
    wow everything is so high tech these days!!

anyway if this is now the common practice whats the difference then between the way the Catholics administer confession??

therefore is it acceptable?

Kristina123

Whether or not it is "acceptable" really depends on the situation. Strictly speaking, it is not acceptable - this is not how confession should be carried out. However, in cases where it is not possible to carry out the canons of the Church exactly, the priest has economia - that is, he can "bend the rules" slightly to cater for unusual circumstances.

Confession should be carried out face to face. However if this is not possible for whatever reason and you are unable to see a priest for a very long time, confession can be done by phone or, possibly, written (though this would only be acceptable if you can't phone).
  • [quote author=bigmak link=board=11;threadid=4029;start=0#msg56477 date=1150551396]
    no actualy i have know this for a long time i know people who actualy text abouna they're confessions and when they see him they get absolved or he replies wit the absolution but he actualy does the cross thing and the blow when he see's him ;)

i also know few people who do confess through email and phone they're nothin odd they are doing the same thing as if they were infront of abouna i dont think the person would be in the bthroom while confessin on the phone or cooking etc... lol
    and abouna will give advice on the phone too maybe these people are busy but actualy still have a relationship with god and thts not bad cause there are alot of cases where people get busy and never think about god

+Godbless+

its probably for those in remote areas, like here in Australia, alot of the land mass is remote and therefore, many of the citizens are unable to visit the city and confess. in these instances, confession over the phone or email would probably be acceptable but ofcourse not recomended as a part of 'confessing', believe it or not, it getting embarrased and through the embarassment, donot do the sin again.

i personally dislike this method of confession as it detracts the real essence of confesssion and its holiness (unless under extreame circumstances). However, this is only my look into this topic.

Take Care
    WHY
  • mMmMmM...ok then...thats very interesting yet something i don't think i'll ever do... i don't think one will get the same feeling from confessing over the phone/email in comparison to being there face to face with Abouna... but i guess some people are left with no choice but to do that!

God Bless
    Coptic21
  • [quote author=Coptic21 link=board=11;threadid=4029;start=0#msg56533 date=1150711077]
    mMmMmM...ok then...thats very interesting yet something i don't think i'll ever do... i don't think one will get the same feeling from confessing over the phone/email in comparison to being there face to face with Abouna... but i guess some people are left with no choice but to do that!

God Bless
    Coptic21

EXACTLY

well put coptic21! ;)
  • well..if you do that..then ur missing the whole point of confession here..i hear this once from an abouna but i don't rememebr who he was..he said " you have to confess face to face to a priest so you can get embarrased from your sins and try to stop them" i really don't see a point of confessing over the phone or e-mail because as u guyz said..the preist isn't gonna be able to read the absolution on u when ur done.. i don't see how is that confession if you sonfess your sins but they r n't forgiven without the absolution!

GBU
    sandra
  • Umm, the thing is when someone is really sick and might be on their deathbed or whatever, the only way they can confess is through the phone or if the priest goes to visit him.her but he might be busy. Thats why they confess through the phone, and im not sure but its possible they do the absolution over the phone
  • regarding this topic... i asked a monk about it because i confess in a diff church and with my church services its hard for me to go and he sed def not on phone or email ONLY advice nothing else... hes not gonna talk throo the fone and u place it on ur head its a bit unappropriate for such a holy sacrament so the answr is no and as for those who r lyk me and need to travel to confess and its beyond ur control with the time he said thats fine.

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • True, correct. You must be in the presence of Abouna in confession because during a man to Abouna confession of which they are in the same room, God is amongst them listening.