HOW TO MAKE AN ORTHODOX PRAYER ROPE

edited June 2006 in Faith Issues
HOW TO MAKE AN ORTHODOX PRAYER ROPE
How to tie an Orthodox Prayer Rope knot
i watch a video for only 5 minutes but it's not that clear
i didn't half way and i couldn't fellow after that i get confused couldn't continue :'(
is there a full video but cheap which means a video that it's show step by step
i get the materials and i get two different color so i don't get confuse when i start to work on it.
so guys do you have any idea :-\

Comments

• Hmmmm,i am kind of very confused, whats an orthodox parayer rope ? never heard of !
    gb, luv
    mary
  • For those of you who have read The Way of the Pilgrim, or are familiar with origins and practice of the the Jesus Prayer " "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me " , you know what an Orthodox Prayer Rope is. Each knot is tied with a prayer.

Small prayer ropes, usually have 33 knots. There are also the bigger ones, with 50, 100, or 300 knots.
    According to an ancient tradition, St. Pachomious wanted to make a wool prayer rope in order to count his prayers. Unfortunately, he was unable to finish it because the Devil would come and untie the knots. One day, an angel of God appeared to him with instructions on how to make the knots with seven crosses entwined in each knot. That was one of the most complicated ropes, which the Devil was not able to untie. The angel recommended the use of the Jesus Prayer on a knotted cord of one hundred knots. These prayers help us to gather our thoughts, and to keep our minds from wandering around.

First, gather and clear all the thoughts in your mind, and then, take the knot of your prayer rope into your left hand, holding it slightly in between the thumb and the index finger. Then, make a sign of the cross with your right hand and quietly begin your prayer, counting every prayer with a knot.

The most common prayer, that we use when praying with the prayer rope is the Jesus prayer:

"O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner!" This prayer can be recited in the shorter version: "O Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me!"

The Jesus prayer is the most important prayer in the life of every Orthodox Christian.
  • any other reply :-\
  • i dont think that God is seriously concerned with how many knots are in the rope or if there is a rope there at all. The prayer you spoke of is a very important one, but we should not be counting our repetitions and times in prayer, it only matters where our heart is. We should have satisfaction from knowing that our hearts are always wih God.

If you do not know how to make a rope, check at your church's bookstore they usually have prayer beads that will do the job.

God bless
  • hey mate i found a site which shows u how to make it. but it looks to complicated for me loll

http://www.wattfamily.org/prayerope.html
  • :)What a beautiful sight, the Prayer rope. Going to try and make one, thanks!
  • Lol it looks to complicated for me so i just got my friend to buy me one from one of the Russian orthodox bookshops
  • [coptic][/coptic] I think it is like Faith....complex in it's simplicity :)
  • [quote author=bentelkenesia link=topic=3969.msg55814#msg55814 date=1149313078]

St. Pachomious wanted to make a wool prayer rope in order to count his prayers. Unfortunately, he was unable to finish it because the Devil would come and untie the knots. One day, an angel of God appeared to him with instructions on how to make the knots with seven crosses entwined in each knot. That was one of the most complicated ropes, which the Devil was not able to untie. The angel recommended the use of the Jesus Prayer on a knotted cord of one hundred knots. These prayers help us to gather our thoughts, and to keep our minds from wandering around.

Didn't that happen with St. Anthony?????