"Gog and Magog"

tktk
edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
"Gog and Magog"
Does this relate to the coming of the anti Christ in any way?
What is the full meaning and indept detail of "Gog and Magog"?
Are there any signs towatch out for or any issues the faithfuls should be wearyof ?

Comments

• tk i never heard of these words before....where did u get them from??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • These are words and events foretold in the bible:
    below are some references.
    Ezekiel 38:2
    "Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal; prophesy against him
    Ezekiel 38:1-3 (in Context) Ezekiel 38 (Whole Chapter)
    Revelation 20:8
    and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore.
    Revelation 20:7-9 (in Context) Revelation 20 (Whole Chapter)
  • well i tried to read up on it from the resources i have at home and i gathered that gog is likened to one of the kings of the OT and that magog is a city????

in Revelations it is stated that they are the corners of the world.

although i have read up on it iam still baffled!!

can somone give a simple answer?!?!?

Kristina123
  • [quote author=tk link=board=1;threadid=3967;start=0#msg55784 date=1149244969]
    These are words and events foretold in the bible:
    below are some references.
    Ezekiel 38:2
    "Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal; prophesy against him
    Ezekiel 38:1-3 (in Context) Ezekiel 38 (Whole Chapter)
    Revelation 20:8
    and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore.
    Revelation 20:7-9 (in Context) Revelation 20 (Whole Chapter)

oh okaiie thanks heaps ;D
  • Hey Everyone

This issue about "Gog and Magog" has confounded biblical scholars for years, therefore it is best to look at what the church fathers have to say about the issue.

In the Book of Revelation (20:8) Gog & Magog came to represent a tremendous war against the Kingdom of God at the end of the ages - where the truth will conquer the the great affliction that will come upon the world in the final days.

There are two thoughts on who Gog and Magog are.

The First Group believe that Gog was a real Person (Ezekiel 38:1), who was a prince on the land of Magog, who went to war with the nation of Israel on its return from captivity.

The Second Group believe that Gog and Magog represents the animosity against God, and the resistance to his kingdom in every era, particulary at the end of ages.

However we need to delve deeper into What Gog and Magog mean and if they represent the coming of the antichrist and what the actual meaning of these words are.

The Word "Gog" originated from the Acadian Language and it meant a precious jewellry or Gold.

Gog the prince of Mashech & Tubal was seen as a symbol of severe Idolatry an adversary to the Kingdom of God.

The Name Magog refers to the second son of Japheth - and the name of the land they have inhabited (1 Chro 1:5 & Gen 10:12)

Having these meanings gives us a chance to focus deeper on the interpretation of the phrase "Gog & Magog"

In the Book of Revelation Gog & Magog came to represent a war made by armies from the four corners of the earth, under satanic leadership, to mislead humanity and to make war against the saints, at the end of ages, for this reason some church fathers believe that it Ezekiel 38/39 should not be taken literally but symbolically.

However on exploring Ezekiel 39: 1-7 one can clearly draw parallels between this chapter and the interpretation of Revelation 20:8.

The Fall of Gog and all his troops and the people who were with him (Ezek 39:4) on the mountains of Israel, reveals that the location of the battle is firmly held in our hearts, which become as strong as stone and will never shake in the face of Satans tribulation, and as God defeated Satan on the mountain (Ezek 39:5), we to with God firmly entrenched in our hearts can conquer Satan and trample upon him as we Pray Daily in the thanksgiving prayer. So I guess this is the lesson we can learn from the phrase "Gog and Magog"

Whether Gog refers to the coming of the antichrist, no one can definetly know however the fate of the antichrist will be identical that of "Gog and Magog" as is clearly evident in Ezekiel 39:1-7.

Hope that helps!!!

Pray For us

Brother in Christ

NOTE: Interpretations and Explanations adapted from Fr Tadros Malatys Commentary on Ezekiel and The Book Of Revelation.
  • NOTE: Interpretations and Explanations adapted from Fr Tadros Malatys Commentary on Ezekiel and The Book Of Revelation.

There's a commentary on the book of Ezekiel in english???? :o

if you know where it is in electronic format, plz let me know!!
  • anyone??