DETERMING THE REAL DAY TO CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS.

tktk
edited April 2006 in Coptic Orthodox Church
This issue has probably been discussed here, I have never stopped wondering at write ups and reports that Dec. 25 was not the real date of birth of Christ.
If this be the case, is there any justification for upholding this date?
And what is the real date of birth.

Comments

• i dunno man.......... my RS teacher once mentioned that subject, and he said that they only made Christmas the day it was because of some pagan festival................ :-\ personally i think that he was making a lot of garbage up, but im not sure. can any1 elaborate?
  • Umm i think i heard somewhere that they celebrate Christmas on DEC 25th b/c they use a different calender whereas we use the coptic calender.
  • Actually, i kno it has something to do with the fact that the western calender was changed by i think it was 13 days becuase they found out the year was more than exactly 365 days. if you think about it that would move christmas 13 days also.
  • [quote author=LifeinChrist link=board=4;threadid=3748;start=0#msg53383 date=1146175729]
    Actually, i kno it has something to do with the fact that the western calender was changed by i think it was 13 days becuase they found out the year was more than exactly 365 days. if you think about it that would move christmas 13 days also.

The date has always been Dec 25th, its just that 25th Dec on the Old (Julian) calendar is 13 days after 25th Dec on the New (Gregorian) calendar.

Christmas was originally celebrated together with Theophany (Christ's baptism), but was later moved to make a seperate feast. Dec 25th was chosen because it coincided which the winter solstice, marking the day when the days get longer, which was fitting symbolism for the birth of the Sun of Righteousness. At the same time it was an easy way to get rid of the existing pagan festival on that day - so two bird's with one stone.
  • kool thanks for that
    [move]
    [glow=red,2,300]explanation[/glow][/move]

:D
  • [quote author=LifeinChrist link=board=4;threadid=3748;start=0#msg53383 date=1146175729]
    Actually, i kno it has something to do with the fact that the western calender was changed by i think it was 13 days becuase they found out the year was more than exactly 365 days. if you think about it that would move christmas 13 days also.

if there are'n't 365 days in a year.. then how many days are there ?
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=board=4;threadid=3748;start=0#msg53492 date=1146256394]
    [quote author=LifeinChrist link=board=4;threadid=3748;start=0#msg53383 date=1146175729]

if there are'n't 365 days in a year.. then how many days are there ?

There are 365.66 i think.
  • but why would a fraction of a day move the calender 13 days ? :S
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=board=4;threadid=3748;start=0#msg53505 date=1146259770]
    but why would a fraction of a day move the calender 13 days ? :S

because that fraction of a day has been missed for centuries thats where the leap year comes from.
  • oh thx heaps :D sorry bout my irrelevant questions