praying on the dead!

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
hi people..i got a question here that have been annoying me since i was little...ok..when someone dies is like special occasions like for example in the holy pascha week if someone dies we don't pray on him/her..and i would like to know the reason too that would be helpful!thnx

GBU
sandra

Comments

• The parayer of the dead is not said during special occasions like for example in the holy pascha week because, that's the time we should be focusing all our minds and hearts to Christ, and not someone else. Hope that helped "sandrahanna".
    GB.
  • That being said, at the end of Palm Sunday there is General Funeral Ceremony that is for all people to attend and there is liturgy and praying over the water to spry people. So if, God forbid, someone passed away during the Holy Pascha week, he/she would have been prayed on. At the same time also the deceased and his/her family would attend one hour of the Pasch’s prayer.

• oh.ok!
    is there any other occasions that we don't pray on the dead??

GBU
    sandra
  • is there any other occasions that we don't pray on the dead??

The general rule is that somebody who died while committing his sins does not get a prayer at the Church. Most suicide cases are such, but there are some exceptions like people who burn themselves because the church thinks there might be a chance they would have repented and asked for repentence as they were burning up. Somebody who is caught stealing and shot down falls under the same category, or a person committing adultry and getting killed, a person who dies of an overdose of drugs.

Most importantly, the Church does not hold funerals for heretics and excommunicated persons. There exists many persons in Egypt who have advocated teachings against the Church dogmas and did not get a funeral at the Church.

• what about if someone got killed in a war or something..does he gets prayed on?

GBU
    sandra
  • I don't see why he/she wouldn't.
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=board=4;threadid=3410;start=0#msg49892 date=1142298046]
    what about if someone got killed in a war or something..does he gets prayed on?

GBU
    sandra

Fighting in war is not inherently a sin, and some of the greatest saints were actually soliders like St. Filopateer and St. George, St. Mina and St. Maurice.
    Waging a war, whether just or injust, is the responsibility of the leader, not the soliders.
  • but isn't it wrong when ppl 'kill' each other in war?
  • ya does the church pray on them?because st.mina and st. goerge&....didn't fight in a war..he was the leader..and what do you mean its the responsibility of the leader? are the enemies gonna come to the leader and ask them if they can kill his soldiers? :-\

GBU
    sandra

• ok i have a question... lets say a baby was born, but after like 15 minutes it passed away... what kind of prayers are prayed on him?
  • Probably a lot. I don't know the types, but most likely it's not just one short one because this baby needs our prayers if God can accept him to Paradise. No matter how much we might pray on the baby, no one will ever be sure though. Sorry I'm not a big help though..

[sub][sup]
    [glow=red,2,300]love lots,
    CopticChica21[/glow][/sup]
    [/sub]
  • hey does it deffer how old the person who passed away is?
  • As Orthodox we don't believe in purgatory , so why we pray for dead ? what is the purpose of this prayers
  • hey guys

i actually had an older sister but she died before she gets babtisied!
    and my mom and dad were wondering is she gonna go to heaven or hell and abona said! she will be in heaven but she will be blind she won't see anything!

and we pary on the dead! to ask the lord our god to have mercy on their souls!

like for example my khalo died a week ago and i pray to god every sec. to have mercy on his soul! and have mercy on his children that khalo left behind for his wife!

GBWU
    pray for me
    ur sis in faith
    bentBABAyasooa`
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=board=4;threadid=3410;start=0#msg58726 date=1154988548]
    hey does it deffer how old the person who passed away is?

i think its the same for everyone but if its a baby and they died or something before baptism then i think its difference i have NO clue im just takin a guess...
  • i actually had an older sister but she died before she gets babtisied!
    and my mom and dad were wondering is she gonna go to heaven or hell and abona said! she will be in heaven but she will be blind she won't see anything!

and we pary on the dead! to ask the lord our god to have mercy on their souls!

like for example my khalo died a week ago and i pray to god every sec. to have mercy on his soul! and have mercy on his children that khalo left behind for his wife!

ewww that's sad i'm sorry god be with you sister
  • a question was asked before about why we pray on the dead ..

why would we ask God to have mercy on their souls ? isnt it too late after you die.. like its already been decided.. ?

iif not.. does that mean that after we die theres still hope depending on how hard people pray for us on Earth.. ??
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=board=4;threadid=3410;start=15#msg61088 date=1158842497]
    a question was asked before about why we pray on the dead ..

why would we ask God to have mercy on their souls ? isnt it too late after you die.. like its already been decided.. ?

iif not.. does that mean that after we die theres still hope depending on how hard people pray for us on Earth.. ??

tell me something.....

when saints died their families and friends had a funeral and a casket and everything...!! rgt? and during any funeral they prayed on them....rgt?? and ofcourse during any funeral there are prayers......rgt?! and them prayers some include a couple of sentences that say " remember them o'lord with you, and have mercy on them!"! so here is the question.............. saints deticated all of their lives to GOD, what have they done wrong for abona to say "remember them o'lord with you....etc"??? it is a saying that GOD would have mercy on them and save their souls even if they were saints!!

if you notice during "mogamaa el kedesean" " the part where abona say alot of saints names"
    he says there names, and after that abona says" remember o'lord ur servents....... ibrahem fawzy, and fawzy reiad and etc.....!" and after he finish the names of the ppl who passed away he says " Have mercy on their souls and remember them o'lord in the paradise of joy"

also... during the mass..... there is a part where abona askes god to have mercy on us.!! even though our fate have been already decided! he still askes and we still ask for GOD'S mercy! abona says in the mass " erhaaaaa mnaaaaa "arabic"" ----" genaaa enaa "coptic"---- have meeeeee rcyyyyy "english"!

it is such a beautifull hymn! it is said at the end of the mass but before communion!

i hope Hizz-chiiild u understood why we pray on the dead eventhough their fate had already been decided!!!

GBWU
    pray for me
    bentBABAyasooa`
  • ??? umm.. so why would it change anything ? :-\ i dont get it ?
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=board=4;threadid=3410;start=15#msg61088 date=1158842497]
    a question was asked before about why we pray on the dead ..

i think its because if somone is bad on earth then we r askin God for him to accept us
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=board=4;threadid=3410;start=15#msg61099 date=1158874604]
    ??? umm.. so why would it change anything ? :-\ i dont get it ?

so god would consider it to have mercy on whoever is dead! to have mercy on his soul!

bentBABAyasooa`
  • Hello guys, we pray over the dead so that maslan if they have done a certian sin before death and they couldn't confess??? then God will have mercy on them and forgive these sins for them.

• it's really hard for those who know to explain as i can see because i myself dont know
  • best thing ask abona about it

bentBABAAyasooa`
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=board=4;threadid=3410;start=15#msg61557 date=1159901636]
    it's really hard for those who know to explain as i can see because i myself dont know

if ur still dun't understand!!

bentBABAyasooa`
  • Bentbabayasso', I just have one thing to say about what you posted.

" even though our fate have been already decided!"

I am afraid somebody who does not know our faith will take this statement to be true - it is implying the theory of Predestination - greatly condemned by the Church.

Please forgive me if I have offended you in any way at all...

We pray on the dead so that if they didn't get a chance to confess before they died, and another reason.

Lets say for example, that a certain person was found guilty of a crime and put in prison. However, this prisoner's wife every day would go to plead with the judge to take him out of prison. There is a possibility that - for the wife's sake - the prisoner may be freed. Does that make things a bit more clear? ;D Hope I helped.
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=4;threadid=3410;start=15#msg61755 date=1160088569]
    Bentbabayasso', I just have one thing to say about what you posted.

I am afraid somebody who does not know our faith will take this statement to be true - it is implying the theory of Predestination - greatly condemned by the Church.

We pray on the dead so that if they didn't get a chance to confess before they died, and another reason.

Lets say for example, that a certain person was found guilty of a crime and put in prison. However, this prisoner's wife every day would go to plead with the judge to take him out of prison. There is a possibility that - for the wife's sake - the prisoner may be freed. Does that make things a bit more clear? ;D Hope I helped.

that is where i was going with that.............. ( ur story about a wife bleeding infront on the judge to free her husband!)
    ;)
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=4;threadid=3410;start=15#msg61755 date=1160088569]

Sorry for asking, but if some sins are forgiven when you are prayed for when you die, why can't suicide be forgiven, since you have sinned, but can't get forgiveness from it yourself? Sorry if I worded this in a way which is hard to understand.
  • [quote author=WMA link=board=4;threadid=3410;start=15#msg61788 date=1160149045]
    [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=4;threadid=3410;start=15#msg61755 date=1160088569]

Sorry for asking, but if some sins are forgiven when you are prayed for when you die, why can't suicide be forgiven, since you have sinned, but can't get forgiveness from it yourself? Sorry if I worded this in a way which is hard to understand.

committing suicide means u lost faith and hope in god!

• But if someone loses faith and hope in God, but doesn't kill themselves, and later regains hope and faith, can't tthey repent? ???