Something on my Mind

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
What does the church think of slavery becuase i mean in the bible they do talk about people having masters and things? im pretty sure that the church is against the master of one to be abusing them because they are god's creation and it is like hurting god, but what about slavery in general? Im prolly being dumb to ask this, but I mean is there a verse or something that goes ocmpletely against all these things that happened in the past? I think they were terrible and correct me if I'm wrong, but what some whites did back then shouldnt be repeated. I just wnated to know the church view on the whole situation.

Comments

• I don't think anyone cares. so, nvm
  • Well, i think the church is againist slavery, but i don't think the church is againist like having little servents like cooks and maids as long as u agree to pay them and not treat them like slaves.

PK
  • thats something that I can agree with. ANything else, anyone?
  • I believe the church disagrees with slavery because its like you're treating a human being like a piece of property, when God creted all human beings equal. I believe however there's nothing wrong with maids or cooks ect. as long as you give them their proper pay.
  • I think that you are right. But, in the bible it talks about masters and servants and it didn't seem like they were treating them that well.
  • The Bible (New Testament) tells slaves to obey their masters. This is because, regardless of what the Bible may say, if slaves do otherwise, they will wreak havoc on themselves. The Bible also tells the master to treat the slave as an actual human being and to have respect for him/her.
  • Also if you read the epistle to Philemon which is just 1 chapter, St. Paul asks Philemon to receive back the runaway slave, Onesimus, and asks him to treat him well "that you might receive him forever, No longer as a slave but more than a slave--a beloved brother" 1:16

We are all free in Christ. However, no one had yet put an end to slavery back then, so as dealing with their current situations, in which slavery did exist. The Bible as said before tells slaves to obey their masters...and masters to treat the slaves fairly. Also if you read many of the saint stories, many of them had slaves, but usually treated them very nice, and some even paid them, and some set them free
  • --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I agree with PrincessMary,

We are all slaves.....serving One Master as it is said in the Bible....we are servents to the Lord....When Moses the Black used to ask the slaves he captures, they reply by saying that they are slaves to Christ but not slaves to no man on Earth.

If there are maids or cooks...and we give them their money for their effort, then it is not slavery but a job, you give and you recivie.

However we do not believe in slavery because just like Moses freed his people, then Jesus freed us from sin ....so we are all free on Earth and servents to the Lord