baptism!

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
hey all,
i am sure this have been asked before but u guyz didn't mention anything about a baby thats born DEAD..there is no way he's gonna be baptized.
is he still gonna go to heaven?

and what about an old person that didn't know anything about baptism..bec. i have a friend of mine at school she is baptist and she never got baptized..is she gonna go to heaven?

GBU
sandra

Comments

• Hello Sandrahanna,

The simple answer to your question is: we do not know, because entering or not entering heaven is in the hand of the Lord and the Lord alone. We should not speculate about that subject because it lead us to take God”s Judgement in our hand, and this is a great sin. The Lord said “ My glory is Mine and I do not give to any one . “

But as a Coptic Church witness to the word of God and as the church taught us from the practise of the Apostles, Baptism is THE ESSENTIAL and the most important factor for SALVATION.

Our Lord and God Jesus Christ just before His Ascension to heaven, gave His commandment to His disciples saying to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
    Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
    teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age." Matthew 28:18-19

And also He said to them: “ He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.” Mark 16:16

And in His conversation with Nicademus, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
    That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.” John 3:5-6

I think we should take this words by Our Lord VERY VERY SERIOUSLY.

• hey sandra...

once again i recommend this site...

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/thecopticchurch/sacraments/1_baptism.htm

ok to make life easy i have picked out the part u need ;D

If a child got sick before their baptism and their parents were frightened the child may die, the child must be baptized even if they are a day old. In this case another person, other than the mother, must take the child to the Church for baptism, and then the priest must anoint the child with the Myron.

The Rites mention (in the third chapter) : “If the newly born was in fear of death before the mother is purified from blood, someone else may take the child to be baptized, as the delivering woman must stay away from Church forty days if she delivered a male child and eighty days if she delivered a female child.”

In the occasion of baptizing a dying child, it is not possible to be restricted with all the conditions of Baptism, so the child may be baptized by wiping the whole body by water instead of immersion, and if time is limited, the rite of fasting for a priest before baptism may not occur.

If the child dies, their soul will go to paradise as a pure angel, but if the child lives, the baptism must not be repeated, as it is binding. Baptism only takes place once.

marina...

[move][glow=red,2,300]interesting isnt it!![/glow][/move]
  • nice reply safaa..but itsn't not the baby's fault dying without getting baptized and WHY..when u said the child is gonna enter the kingdom of heaven as a pure angel that totally disagreed with what safaa said about u can't enter the kingdom of heaven without getting baptized..so..this thing is really confusing..I NEED HELP! :-[

GBU
    sanda
  • sandrahanna,

There is big difference between a baby born dead and a dying baby!!!

but u guyz didn't mention anything about a baby thats born DEAD..there is no way he's gonna be baptized.
    is he still gonna go to heaven?

This baby did not come to existence, he/she did not live at all, the baby had no life on earth.

The previous condition is completely different from another scenario which is a dying baby who lived for a time and had existence. I think “why “ offered a good reply from the Coptic Church’s point of view. I wish I had helped you sandra.

• ya..but its a baby, he was created and died..so he still have a body and a soul..am i talking rit or do u think its wrong?

GBU
    sandra
  • sandrahanna didnt u already post a similar question like a few months ago????
  • i don't think so..but if i did i think it was another question!
    anyways..marmar..the mom can go to church and the baby can get baptized too..but most poeple say the mom have to wait so she can take comuniun and stuff like that..

i have another question..can a mom baptize her child?

GBU
    sandra
  • in certain and extreme situations yes...

like one time i heard this story about a women who was planning to get her children babtized and took them on a ship... and there was a big storm and she was afraid her children would die so she took some water and baptized them... and then when they got on land and she took them to get baptized by a priest the water kept turning into a solid so the priest asked her if they were baptized before and she told him the whole story...
  • remember...baptism is different from the Holy Mayroon..even if the Baby is Baptised...it doesnt have the Holy Spirit so keda keda...he needs to Go to a church and hae one or both of the sacraments done....

N NO the mother cannot give her CHild the HOLY MAYROON...lol
  • i said in extreme situations...

what if you cant get the child to a church, like if you were on a plane or something...
  • thats true...
  • oops sorry i seemed to miss that...sorry!!!
  • its ok... no problem...
  • how could she baptize the child?

GBU
    sandra
  • i was told there are three ways to baptize a child, unfortunately i forgot what they were. i know the first one is the normal baptism, how all of us were baptized. i forgot the other two ways were though, can anybody help?
  • I think I may know where you are going with this Christ4Life, I think the first as you said is normal baptism, than from a different religion to our religion is the second one, and I have no clue what the third is!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • no, im sorry, but that is not what i meant.

the normal baptism is the priest taking the child and baptizing him underwater. however i was told in sunday school (a LONG TIME AGO) that there are simpler ways to be baptized in the case of an emergency.