drinking

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
what do you think of drinking? Assuming you are of age and all

Comments

• Wedding in Cana of Galilee

Jesus changed the wine that the crowd was drinking into good wine.

and i could go on and on about this one, but i'll just give u a few short verses about being sober. Since we know that after drinking your not 100% sober as u were before drinking, even if you did just drink a little bit.

Titus 2:12
    teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age,

1 Thessalonians 5:6
    Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober.

1 Timothy 3:2
    A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach;

Titus 2:2
    that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience;

I could go on and on and on lol. i hope this helped just a little bit. And if you notice, St. Paul talks more about being soberly as an adult (bishop, older man...), so the older you are, the more responsibility you really have. and responsibilty means that you gotta act by the bible a lot more to get by.

hope this helps
  • I would also like to add this verse:

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,[1] nor sodomites, 10nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

(1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

Defender

• I think drinking is highly important so we don't die from dehydration.
  • lol smarty!
    Hehe I think nothing is wrong as long as it is in moderation and at the right time!

I don’t believe it’s a sin to drink a glass of wine, BUT I do think it’s a sin to drink 4 glasses and get drunk!

The bible says there’s a time for everything. Drinking is only a sin when you become addicted/obsessed

God Bless
  • i agree with you Suzanne ;D
  • hey i think i know by wat the bible meant by goog wine. there is this type of beer and stuff that is actually non-alchoholic. i guess its ok to drink that but not ok to drink the alcoholic beer and stuff
  • i totally disagree with you becasue if you read John 2:10 you will this "And he said to him, "Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!"
    so if the wine was good as non-alchoholic than how did they get drunk??????
  • uh... i don't think that they had the non-alcoholic stuff sum 2000 years ago... i agree with paul.. if it was completely off limits.. then Christ wouldn't have made water into wine. moderation is key. remember that this happened at a wedding... meaning in celebration.. but not just for the sake of drinking to get drunk.
  • don't forget, different wines have different alcoholic levels, like i know these kid in my old school, they were about to get in a really big fight and they wanted to get beer to "pump" them up. i heard 2 of the talking about some levels of the alcohol.
  • um..they didn't know blood level's back then...and i don't think they knew levels of drunkeness or alcohol either. i sort of disagree with Suzanna.

I don’t believe it’s a sin to drink a glass of wine, BUT I do think it’s a sin to drink 4 glasses and get drunk!

people who are alcoholics didn't start by drinking 4 glasses a day, and they didn't get drunk their first time. they drank little by little. and i do believe that there is a time and place for everything also, but if drinking this wine [or any other alcoholic drink] can have the potential to lead you to drink more, then why do it. its like the dating thing...lol..but lets not get into that.
  • I completely agree with Paul, I think drinking is a sin. Every drop destroys your brain..

defender
  • i am sorry but i disagree with Paul and defender i don't think drinking is a sin as long as you keep control over it. And yes you can keep control over it and in case you don't and you get drunk you will learn a very good lesson and you will make sure you are not drunk the second time around.
    Another thing to think of is this isn't the wine that we take each sunday as the Blood of Christ has alochol in it (yes abouna mixes it with water)?? so according to what you guys said about how drinking is a sin and that alcoholic beverages are a sin than that means half the Communion is a sin now.
  • Wfhanna1, What in the world are you talking about, the wine with water converts to the Precious Blood, no alcohol, just Blood, we must believe that and I believe that therefore I never drank a drop of alcohol since 8 years now, not a drop and it's all because I knew people who died of it....

Defender
  • i know my comment was over the edge (but i like doing that sometimes) anyway you are talking about people who died because of drinking posion. I don't know how close those people were to you sorry but you can't blame anyone but them for that decision of drinking to the point that the alcohol filled their blood vessels and their entire body.
  • Abstaining is a persons best bet. Plenty of you have said moderation is the key. The way I see it; if alcohol is something that has the potential to do harm and the potential to hinder an individuals senses, memory, ect. A little bit of it is just as bad as a lot. It clearly isn’t something positive; it isn’t something that is beneficial towards ones health. Don’t give me that “French people live longer” story. I’ve heard it and it has nothing to do with the glass of wine they have with dinner. Extensive studies have shown that there are several factors in the diets of the French that might lead to their prolonged life; since Americans like to drink heavily they thought it would be a nice idea to correlate it with the wine so it would be “okay” to get drunk. Anyway back to my point, why have a little of something, if a lot of it is bad. Cyanide, the rat poison, in large amounts can kill; in small amounts has no adverse effects whatsoever. So maybe we should all start taking in small amounts of cyanide until we build up our tolerance for it; because, moderation is essentially all that matters, right?

• I agree 100% with mark, and i'm sorry wfhanna1, but i beg to differ with you.

so according to what you guys said about how drinking is a sin and that alcoholic beverages are a sin than that means half the Communion is a sin now.

no no no no no no no no no!!!!! if you still think that ur drinking that 96% alcohol free wine in communion then we need to sit and have a long talk. its not wine anymore once the you hear the priest say "And Your Precious Blood," and the deacon replies "And Your Precious Blood," then its not wine anymore. Its 100% Christ's blood. I hope that you were just joking when u said that comment lol, but just in case, then this hopefully clears it up.
  • ya i was kidding i like pushing the line sometimes and playing on words ;)
  • okay... just to get back to the wedding of Cana... Jesus would not, NOT and definatly NOT turn the water he created into alcoholic 'wine'
    wine back then was waht we know today as grape juice
    and the verse that u previously posted doesnt mean that the people were drunk, as in today's terms, it just means that they were filled from drinking
    when u go out to eat, do u fill urself up on the salad and soup and bread rolls? or do u eat a little bit of that and wait till u get ur main entree where u stuff urself up? of course, u fill urself up on the main dish, the best part of the meal! lol
    right?
    so thats what he meant by you shouldn't serve the best wine at the end when the people have already 'drunk'

and as far as moderation goes... don't fool urself

"You therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked; but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen."
    James 3:17-18
  • Hi guys,

The greek word used here for "well drunk" is methuo which actually means being intoxicated. I think these arguments are futile and I stand by my original assessment; just because some drinks are alcoholic doesn't mean we should stop drinking. I don't know about the rest of you but I get very thirsty if I go a few hours without water nevermind going your whole life without drinking ever!

God bless you,

CS
  • VERY FUNNY CS
  • i agree wit wfhanna1 and marys...i dont think drinkin is wrong as long as you know your limits. juss because you drink, doesnt mean you hafta get drunk. alota things can cause you harm n tha doesnt mean your gonna stop doin them...for example, you can get hurt by driving in a car and get into an accident, n tha doesnt mean your gonna stop drivin juss because there is a possibility of an accident..
  • You can’t make a correlation between drinking and not driving. You MUST drive to get around; to go food shopping; to go to church; to visit your sick grandma in the hospital, to drive your pregnant wife to the hospital, to pick up gidoo from the airport, ect. Driving is a necessity and beneficial. Drinking on the other hand is something that can possibly be destructive and is done by choice. We don’t die from a lack of alcohol; in fact we might possibly prolong our lives by refraining from it. So… to recap we don’t have to stop doing things that could possibly cause us harm if it’s something beneficial to our lives. Alcohol on the other hand, is not the least bit beneficial. It has the potential to do a lot of damage and sadly people do it to themselves; nobody is forced to drink, it’s all voluntary. Don’t you all think it would be stupid to have the ability to take something bad out of our lives and not take that opportunity?

-Mark
  • Thank You Mark! :)
  • drinking and/or getting drunk [from alcohol] is something that would effect and hurt your spirituality and your body. on the other hand, getting into a car accident effects and hurts only your body.

The body fades away. at the end, your spirituality is what will matter.
  • well getting into a car accident can acutally effect your spirituality because the devil can play with your thoughts and tell you God almost killed you because He doesn't like you or doesn't love you. So really it could effect your spirituality anything could effect your spirituality.
  • Don’t get so analytical, lets try to keep out all the convoluted “what ifs” and be more realistic. The bottom line is there are more misfortunes due to drinking and they are things that could have easily been prevented. Whereas, the misfortunes due to somebody conceiving the idea that God no longer likes them come from something that is God’s will. You control drinking, you don’t control car accidents. We must do our part and let God do his; our part is not to drink; the rest is up to God.
  • thats a mere temptation, which God ALLOWS the devil to do just so that we can ask for His help, and almost all of the people i know that have gotten in a car accident ended up closer to God than they were before because after the devil tempted them, and after they got out of the hospital and all of that...they went back to God.

with drinking....your already putting yourself through tribulations, and the devil doesn't really worry too much about you because your already going down the wrong path. maybe your not going down the wrong path yet when u only drink every now and then, but drinking now and then has potential to make u drink more and more.
  • okay, here's an analogy used all the time...
    ur body is like the church, and just as u wouldnt sneak alcohol, even into little amounts, into the church, you wouldnt drink alcoholic beverages
    got it?
    dont be so concerned with that line of sin and line of purity, be more concerned with teh life of sin and the life of purity
  • malish, im sry, tha was a terrible example. but too much of anything is a bad thing. i understand tha you have ur own opinion, and i too have mine and i dont think drinking is a sin as long as you kno your limits. moderation is key to anything.
  • if you think that you can completely control yourself and stay tru to those limits that you are setting, then by all means, enjoy, but if your not really all that sure if u can keep ur limits, then maybe abstinance is better for u. these may all be opinions, but they are mostly based on facts. and again, we didn't say drinking was wrong, but it has the potential to hurt u...physically and spiritually. just becareful