why?

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
hey guys..how are you all?..i had a question..why can't we eat fish wednesdays and fridays?
GBU
sandra

Comments

• i think the key question is why can't we eat fish on fasting days in general. as servents told me before, fish is a kind of meat. and we don't eat meet in fastings. and in the fastuing days that we could(like rit now in the holy advent), we could because fish could be provided all the time. fish will never die. and back there during the old church, they gave promission to the people to eat fih in certain fasts only because most of the people were poor. and they said fish because fish is the only living creature that doesn't commit sexual activites between each other.and they produce without sexual activites to.
    am not sure if i aswered the Q rit, but thats what i kno
  • i don't think the part about the fish is a kinda meet or not is rit..bec. we eat fish at some fasts..and mina when i said why can't we eat fish on fri. and wed. i meant fridays and wednesdays not any fasts!!
    plz..this question is annoying me so bad...i wanna know yyyyyyyy!

GBU
    sandra
  • wednesdays and fridays are the day jesus was betrayed and the day he died on the cross. During those days we are suposed to fast at the same level as the fast of the great lent. the fact that Fish is alowed during the advent is related somehow to jesus disciples who were fishermen
  • i don't get this! ::)
  • [quote author=a_deacon link=board=13;threadid=2964;start=0#msg44996 date=1136009108]
    wednesdays and fridays are the day jesus was betrayed and the day he died on the cross. During those days we are suposed to fast at the same level as the fast of the great lent. the fact that Fish is alowed during the advent is related somehow to jesus disciples who were fishermen

great answer... ;D
  • The church also determines periods of fast, which are unique, and it divides them into 2 categories:

1st category
    -Wednesday (day of betrayal) and Friday (day of crucifixion) of every week
    -The holy lent 55 days
    -The 3 days of Jonah the prophet or the Ninevites

These days are completely vegetarian without milk, cheese, egg, meat or any animal products at all.

2nd category
    -Fast of advent 43 days
    -Fast of Virgin Mary 15 days
    -Fast of apostles 30 days (approximately)

The same as the 1st category but fish is allowed as a care for the health of the believers because the days of fasting are about 220 days per year

Why fish? Because it is a symbol of chastity and self control as its reproduction is non sexual between the male and the female but the female lies the eggs and the male fertilizes them separately.

this is from http://www.resourcescentreonline.co.uk/CopticOrthodoxChurch.pdf

im not sure about what i said on the previous post regarding why especially fish (or seafood), i heard it somewhere, ill try to find out
  • wendsdays and fridays are the most important fasting period in the WHOLE year....did u know that...the least we can do is not eat fish!!
  • is it just bec. its more holier??
    but wait..how about saint mary's fast its holy too but we also eat fish!!! ??? ???

alittle help here please! ???

GBU
    sandra
  • wendsdays and fridays are the most important fasting period in the WHOLE year....did u know that...the least we can do is not eat fish!!

no they're not. the holy lent is.

is it just bec. its more holier??
    but wait..how about saint mary's fast its holy too but we also eat fish!!!

and it's not about what's holier, t's about the meaning behind the fast. and st. Mary's fast is just to honor st. Mary the Theotokos, and our highest intercesser (can't spell ;D).

wednesdays and fridays are the day jesus was betrayed and the day he died on the cross.

and that's right. the goal of the holy lent is to prepare us for the most holy week of the year, and for our salvation and our fathers' to. and that happend when out Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected.
  • this is the answer i found makes the most sence: those "2nd degree" fasts were established later than those "1st degree". (so its not about what is "holier") when they proclaimed them they allowed people who are ill or cannot fast without fish to eat fish. fish is "pure" and is a symbol of christianity. the rest are supposed to abstain from eating it.
  • [quote author=minagir link=board=13;threadid=2964;start=0#msg45187 date=1136312005]

wendsdays and fridays are the most important fasting period in the WHOLE year....did u know that...the least we can do is not eat fish!!

no they're not. the holy lent is.

is it just bec. its more holier??
    but wait..how about saint mary's fast its holy too but we also eat fish!!!

and it's not about what's holier, t's about the meaning behind the fast. and st. Mary's fast is just to honor st. Mary the Theotokos, and our highest intercesser (can't spell ;D).

wednesdays and fridays are the day jesus was betrayed and the day he died on the cross.

and that's right. the goal of the holy lent is to prepare us for the most holy week of the year, and for our salvation and our fathers' to. and that happend when out Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected.

oops maybe i said it wrong...i was taught in sunday kool that Wednesdays anf Fridays was the most important fasting...sorry bout that!!

n im sure of this 1!!!