Coptic or Arabic Last Names..

edited October 2006 in Random Issues
What is yours?

Comments

• hmm i have 2 i want to ask about... Ghobrial and Ghabras...but sry i dont know any of the ones you asked about...
  • are you people sure that these are egyptian names? Nessim doesn't mean spring, it means breeze (like a breeze of air)...and Ghobrial is simply arabic for Garbrial like you said. all the others i've never heard of before; are they spelled right?!
  • spelling error: Gabriel ;D
  • My last name is Salama idk i think that mean peace.. maybe. if it doesn't please correct me.
  • [quote author=copticma link=board=11;threadid=2806;start=0#msg43289 date=1133118531]
    spelling error: Gabriel ;D

no its Ghobrial... i know, its one of my friends names... anyone know about Ghabras?
  • Boutros = Peter
    Boulos= Paul
    Sedrak= St. Sedrak one of the three saintly youth in the fire (Sedrak, Misak, and Abednago)
    Some extra ones:

Bestawros= Originally coptic Pi' estavros = Cross
    Salib= Cross
    Girgis= George
    Youssef= Joseph
    Abdelmesseh= servent of Christ
    Abdelmalek= servent of the King
  • how bout Benyamin...i think that is Coptic not arabic (ma last name is Benyamin) id really like to now...if any1 got da meaning please share!!

share the love!! ;D
  • Benyamin is just Benjamin...I think he is a prophet in the Old testament.

Meawad...it's an arabic name...but it's kinda hard to explain it's meaning...but it's something like God will give u back what u have lost as in "rabna yewa3dak"...mewa3ad is just the name for the verb "yewa3ad"...i think...lol

Wadi...I never heard of that before...maybe u have the wrong spelling.

Ghabras...it's been known as a coptic family name kinda of thing in Egypt...but I have no idea what it means

anyone is welcome to correct me on the other ones
  • Benyamin or Benjamin means "son of the right hand" in Hebrew.
  • Benjamin is Joseph's brother from the Old Testament.
    (Joseph the dreamer pharaoh)
  • what does fahmy means?..its my friends last name i wanna know what it means!
    GBU
    sandra
  • arsanious and abdelshahid
  • [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=11;threadid=2806;start=0#msg43314 date=1133148569]
    thanks for tht..

so u know what Meawad (pronounced Ma ou wod) means?
    and Wadi?
    hmmm, let me see...

Mikhail is obvoiusly Michael as in archangel Michael..
    Hanna.. isnt Hanna Samuel' mother?
    ya...

MarMar let me correct you on that, Mekhail/Mikhail is obviously Michael as in Archangel Michael, and that is CORRECT lol!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • arsanious is a saint name and abdelshahid mean is arabic worshiping the saint(something like that)
    GBU
    sandra
  • hey about Hanna is not samual's mother she is hannah and that supposed to be the same for stMary's mother but it's Anna or something like that in arabic hanna is a male name and it's somewhere in the bible 'a person was called Hanna' but obviously it's not the same in english.

Hanna (m) and Hanna (f) are written differently in arabic and pronounced differently eg. hanna (f) is pronounced as '7enna'

the difference is in the last letter:

Hanna femenine: ꊃ
    Hanna masculine : ꊂ
  • 7enna...Hannah (female...i think u just add an h at the end)..is Anne in english
  • arsanious

Arsanious is the saint who used to be the teacher of many of the saints, he is known in arabic as "mo3alim awlad il melook"

i dont know what "Ghabras" means but we do have a family in our church with that last name
  • [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=11;threadid=2806;start=15#msg44171 date=1134258235]
    umm, Coptic servant, u typed exactly what i said.. but o welll

Nope read it again, until you see the difference!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent