Guys or Girls 2

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
ladies and gentleman, if u remember i recently posted a question about how the Guys were favoured more that girls... although i had amazing answers i'd like to put these verses before u hoping for some contimplation.

"IF A WOMEN CONCIEVED, AND BORNE A MALE CHILD, THEN SHE WILL BE UNCLEAN FOR SEVEN DAYS...SHE SHALL THEN CONTINUE IN THE BLOOD OF HER PURIFICATION THIRTY-THREE DAYS...BUT IF SHE BEARS A FEMALE CHILD, THEN SHE SHALL BE UN CLEAN FOR TWO WEEKS...AND SHE SHALL CONTINUE IN THE BLOOD OF HER PURIFICATION SIXTY-SIX DAYS" leviticus ch 12 v 2-5

why is this i ask, coming back to the question that we are all equal, why then does a women who conceives a female child unpure for a longer period of time???
George

Comments

• the waiting period was more of a GIFT to the mother...
    in the time of the old testament, a mother who bore a son was greatly exalted and was given so much attention and care after the birth of her son, for everyone awaited the coming for the Messiah, whom they knew would be a male, so to honor the potential, other women from her family would come and serve here for the time of her "uncleanliness"..to honor tradition. However, when a girl was born, the same people who would hover over the birth of a boy would just pass over the fact that a girl was born. So in order to help the mother equally post- the birth of a girl, the waiting period was extended so the mother would rest more and the family would care for her (in the long run) for just as long as they would've in the shorter period of time if she had had a boy...
    the specs of this are unknown to me.. but i'll do my research and get back to you.
    -mary
  • thnx again mary, ur awsome, keep it up ;)
  • very interesting
  • The waiting period, was actually a sign of cultural heirarchy. I know that sounds wierd, but just as Mary said, having a male child was greaty congratulated. The woman is given seven years, before she may again concieve. The seven years are significant, in that a male would begin to learn the values of the religion, as well as a trade at the age of seven. So, the thought is that the woman should devote all her time to nourish and raise her son, before he may move on to the next step in his life.