Intent to be baptized....

edited October 2006 in Random Issues
what if someone is baptized just to marry someone in our church?

Comments

• They would have never choosen that religion unless they met this other person, or how else would have they known about this religion, so no of course it's not the same. Are u converting because of that other person or are u converting for God, for ur own salvation. Especially in the coptic orthodox church, the couple who are getting married have to be both coptic..right? So ya...they might be looking like they are doing it because they think its the right religion, but in reality they are doing it for the sake of marriage, which is completely WRONG because u are doing it for another human being not for God.
  • Well put, Marrianne87. These people who receive the Sacrament of Baptism just so that they can marry someone (a la "My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding") are only receiving this Sacrament to their own condemnation (and to the condemnation of the person dispensing it....i.e. the Priest), inasmuch as someone receiving the Body and Blood of the Lord, who receive it in an unworthy manner, receive it only to their own condemnation.
  • Then it's started out of them going for the person not for God..and that is just plain WRONG
  • well god will probably forgive them for what they did but remember that verse (sry no quote), "Angels in heaven rejoice over one sinner who repents than over the other 100 who dont"....
  • if they wanted to get baptized just to be married we can't really say it is wrong but in the same time i don't think it can be right because they probaply get baptized not for god but for the other person!not because because they really wanted to get baptized!!!
  • My opinion is that any person has the potential to become a Coptic Orthodox...and once they see the way of our church, and realize its dogma, and its firm roots in the faith; then they would be convinced that the coptic way is the truth....how they get introduced to the Coptic way may not always matter; and after a long time.....even if; God Forbid; the couple get seperated somehow, then he/she will stay as a Coptic....just because he got the chance to see how great it is to be a Coptic...but then again, thats my view
  • the couple who are getting married have to be both coptic..right?

only orthodox not coptic i think!

"Angels in heaven rejoice over one sinner who repents than over the other 100 who dont"....

heaven rejoice with 1 sinner repents more than 99 who DON'T need to repent.
  • heaven rejoice with 1 sinner repents more than 99 who DON'T need to repent.

im sorry but that doesnt make sense because everybody living on the face of this earth needs to repent.
  • it means like ppl who thought they didn't need 2

i think that was said becoz of the ppl asked y Jesus sat with the sinners (can't remember really)!
  • God works in many ways my friends...even through our mistakes...although it might soud strange...but after a horrible act as one stated here...that is getting baptized for sake of marriage, God will still try to get the couple to HIM....through showing how beautiful and deep and true the Orthodox Church is...maybe then, they will realize this mistake, and repent and stick to HIM...but does that mean their marriage is nulled? May God forbid! As a matter of fact, the marriage bond will be strengthened! It's God's beautiful way, but it's US that have to listen.....and keep our ears tuned to what he says....

In HIS Name,

RFZ
  • I think MarMar really wants to know is the baptism legitimate.. she knows its wrong.. but after they repent will they have to get rebaptised?
  • Bapitism is only once my friends....whatever happens....when they repent, their baptism still stands....and anyways...will always stand...this is God's beautifully merciful way....

In HIS Name,

RFZ
  • if the baptism is only once so if some1 is a catholic, any other type of Christians n has been baptised then he's not supposed 2 be baptised again if he/she wants 2 be orthodox ?
  • GOD calls HIS own to HIM...through marriage, through many ways, HIS ways are incomprehensible to ridiculously stupid humans( all of us). ---one vision from childhood, one desire...brought into Reality(at last) through marriage!! Who are you to judge HIS ways???? Praise u IMMANUEL!!!!!!
    anyway, how is the situation u describe of becoming coptic solely to marry a loved one any different from an individual who is Born into coptic orthodox?--that is not in any way that individual's choice.
  • jeannie....marriage is a choice, made by God's grace through one's heart AND mind...but being born coptic isn't...:D

About being catholic and batism...plz read the fourth chapter from Paul's letter to the Effesusians (I don't excatly know their name in English :( )...for us to have ONE baptizm...then we have to have ONE God and ONE Faith...however, the Catholic faith is a "heretic", however compartively small to other "sects", and is not aligned to the Orthodox faith...thus we cannot have one baptism...

May God bless us all,

In HIS Name,

RFZ
  • zacari, ...my point is that GOD decides who will be coptic orthodox, and it is for you, HIS humble servants to NOT worry, to TRUST GOD mayiah fee mayiah, to rebuke your "opinions" aka judgements, else you be so judged in same manner as u judge.
  • jeannie delete this from the topic afta u read it

go to the top of this page and you'll find something say for example '4messages 2 are new' click on it and you'll see your inbox
  • if u geme ur email (any 1) i'll send u something jeannie then u check ur mail ok?
  • Jeannie...I agree to all what you said...but these are not my personal judgements of course...these ar church doctrines...when I say such an act is "horrible," I say that to signify that it is a very wrong move...one that may cost you your eternity...however, even after that wrong move, God may still give mercy and allow the couple to return to HIM in His church...if THEY want...simple....

In HIS Name,

RFZ.:
  • course He will, He always do, he never return some1 who comes 2 him :)

God is GREAT
  • +
    +
    +
    +
    ++++++++++++++++
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +

:)
  • :D :D ;D ;D

In HIS Name,

RFZ
  • remember my weakness in your prayers brothers n sisters :)
  • ya....me too plz.... :)

In HIS Name,

RFZ
  • [move] :oyea yea don't forget ppl :o[/move]