A cross on your right hand

edited July 2005 in Random Issues
How many of you have a cross on your right hand that you recieved from egypt?

How old were you when you recieved it?

What do you think it symbolizes?

And if you remember what church did you go to in Egypt?

Comments

• im dying to get one done lol
    i was born in egypt an came here wen i was 3 and ive never bin back so i havnt got it done yet
    but im planin 2 go next yr god willin and il have answers 2 ur questions lol
  • hey,
    I don't have one of those crosses yet but I can tell you what they symbolize... ages ago when Christians were persecuted (not that they aren't still but thats another story lol) they used to hold up their right hand with the cross on their wrist and declare that they were Christian

I hoping to go to Egypt sometime before I die so I can get one lol. I'm 15 and I've never been to Egypt.

God Bless You,

Your sister Mariam
  • Greetings,

How many of you have a cross on your right hand that you recieved from egypt?

I do have a nice cross on my right hand.

How old were you when you recieved it?

I was 13 and 9 months... I only got it January last yr, like 2-3 days before i came back from Egypt. wich was pretty cool coz i showed all my friends at school and they were so wowed up...lol
    Since I got it when I was old my experience goes... I was the first in my Family to get it, my (older) brothers and my sister pushed me to go first, and so I called them "chickens" and "Farakh" for the rest of the day. Since I was the first, I sat down patiently squeezing my hands so tight, I turned my face, closed my eyes and prayed that I survive. I then opened one eye to find that the guy had ALREADY begun. It didnt hurt, I began to describe the feeling, it was just vibration on my arm. Nothing Much. I turned to my siblings and they just watched and thought that it was Killing me, but it wasn't. It was then there turn, they sat on the chair showing there weaknesses, and pretending that it didnt hurt... haha, wich it killed them...lol. Thus, according to myself, it was only Vibration, and it was a great experience!

What do you think it symbolizes?

According to my Knowledge, When the Copts where being persecuted, the christians started to tatoo crosses on the right of their arms, so that when the Muslim brain washed them, they got to see the cross after being brain washed and recognised they were christians.
    Also, when i got mine from St Samaan's Moquatam Mountain, the guy there was talking to me, and I asked, why do some people get it on the bottom of their thumbs, and he showed me that when, us, christians come to shake others hands that we are christians, and forever christians.haha. 8)

And if you remember what church did you go to in Egypt?

I got mine from the Moquatam Mountain in "Garbage City" in Cairo. I think its the most Christian full place around... its nice yet Smelly.

GBU. :)
  • anybody else? good replies tho and great stories as well!

well, I got it from egypt like nobody did, when i got my cross it was outside of this church (don't remember the name) I was 5 years old and my cousins were about my youngest a few months and my other about 3 years old so we were small and I was excited and so were my little cousins, but when the guy started and it hurt it felt like a nail going through your hand and out that's how I describe it, well when I showed it to my friends at school there look WOW that's way cool and for everybody at my school they ask "how did it feel like" I told them it feels like a nail going through your hand and out, like I said that's how I described it! Well, for the people who did recieve one that is a great belief in faith of coptic christians and those of you who didn't recieve a cross I wish you would!
  • BTW, the thing I liked about the way they do it on the bottom of their thumbs, is the fact that everytime you meet someone and shake their hands, it becomes as if your making it know that you are saying "Ana Messihi"

nice post Coptic Servant.
  • thank you very much Mikhail_04 my last name is Mekhail that's pretty sweet!
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=11;threadid=2043;start=0#msg32483 date=1121446443]
    my last name is Mekhail that's pretty sweet!

Long Live MIKHAILS, servants of Archangel Michael, and Mostly Servants of God Himself!

BTW, I love Anyone with the Last name Mikhail, or somone with the same name as myself!
  • what's ur first name?

and the name MEKHAIL is pretty sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hahaha
  • This is a really cool topic. I really need to get one, but I just cannot find time. I think it means that when people see you they know youre Christian. And i Also think it means that it keeps the devil away and he won't tempt you as much. That's just my idea. I was born in Egypt and then came here when I was 6. I think we went to St. Mary's Church in Mataria.
  • Back when the muslims persecuted the Copts of Egypt (they still do), they made them have tattoos of crosses on their right hand to signify they are Christian. Copts would then have less rights than the muslims and would be persecuted. They would also put a cross on Christian boys and girls so that they wouldn't get kidnapped and converted to Islam. I also heard (not positive) that Christians would pay with their right hand and when the clerk saw the cross he would tax them more. But now, since there is less persecution in America, there is no need for it. The Bible clearly says that you should not mark your body in anyway because it is not your property, it's God's (since the muslims made us tattoo ourselves that doesn't count). Let's say you get a tattoo of a cross on your hand. You then think about getting another on your arm since you think it is still a cross. But before you know it, you have just used the cross as a fashion symbol. I recommend getting a necklace with a cross if you want it that badly, but don't go flashing that your friends either. Even a very well known Abouna (that grew up here) in NJ says that tattoos of crosses are wrong and is trying to get his removed. As I said before, it's a shame people now make the cross a fashion symbol.
  • If many people know you are christian they will watch you more closely maybe and expect much from you maybe..

maybe you will not feel as free to do good deeds when you want to do them..

they might even lay snares for you... do you think?
  • WOW, thank you so much CopticChica21, godhelpme3691, and JesusisKingofKings, I really enjoyed reading all of your posts!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • ok...i got one recently...6 months ago...n i am 16...um..i got it done in egypt...

umm what else...yes i will get another tatoo...the one on the bottom of your thumb...

reaon being..it seems to be some sort of tradition in my fmily to get both tatoos...on ur arm and below the thumb...and i would like to continue this 'tradition'..
  • i really want my wrist done too !!!

i just want 2 check like if its safe cos u know if the needles like contaminated or something that might be a problem...
    but like, i was telling my parents that since they generally do it at like churches and monastaries and stuff it should be fine.
    I'll be going 2 Egypt soon, (god-willing) so i hope i'll have the guts to get it done then :-\
  • cherry....it didnt hurt a BIT...maybe i am just strong!!

no it felt like someone pinching you..thats all...

oh n about the needle contamnation fingi...i made the guy open a fresh packet of needle for me...n but this antibiotics and all these disease fighting chemicals!!

n plus...God will not let u get anything if it his will!!
  • i dont hv a cross on my wrist and emmm i wont ask to have it only if i got the chance i might do
    well, hving a cross on ur hand doesnt keep the devil away, it's prayers! and i cant accept the idea of that it's wrong..

btw i got scared a bit when i read this post coz i think it's funny but the idea of knowing that it doesnt come off scares me i feel like i'm gonna be ill.. :-\
  • i want one. my dad has one on his wrist. but i don't know how they do it for you. like how they do a regular tatoo or...what????? i really want to know ??? :D
  • Actually most priests would rather people not get one because in America they regard it as a tattoo not a symbol.
  • YES, everyone in america said it was a tattoo, it actually hurt, and btw God will let nothing happen to you, but then I feel it's my guidance because sometimes I forget my cross necklace, than I have something to keep me out of temptation, SOMETIMES!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=egyptianorthobeaut link=board=11;threadid=2043;start=15#msg48201 date=1140208110]
    i want one. my dad has one on his wrist. but i don't know how they do it for you. like how they do a regular tatoo or...what????? i really want to know ??? :D
  • How I got mine when I was 5 years old, so I'll try to remember and have a brief explanation about how they do it, he used a little gun machine made for cross symbols, than I think he used a needle, it's black at first than it turns NAVY blue, and if I can do it, so can all of you, because that is just 1/4 of the pain God suffered for us!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • oh, thanx for replying. i appreciate it. but your right, i would want to go through that little pain because Jesus went through A LOT more for us. :)

ps. does anyone else have a diff. idea?
  • [quote author=egyptianorthobeaut link=board=11;threadid=2043;start=15#msg48233 date=1140230664]
    [quote author=egyptianorthobeaut link=board=11;threadid=2043;start=15#msg48201 date=1140208110]
    i want one. my dad has one on his wrist. but i don't know how they do it for you. like how they do a regular tatoo or...what????? i really want to know ??? :D

yep it is done exactly like a normal tatoo...with the machine..that looks like a mini sowing machine...(not trying to scare any1 :P)

n yer i say that i have a tatoo...it is, so there is no reason to try not saying it is a tattoo..it is a symbol (do i make sense)
  • than I think he used a needle, it's black at first than it turns NAVY blue, and if I can do it, so can all of you, because that is just 1/4 of the pain God suffered for us!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

i would want to go through that little pain because Jesus went through A LOT more for us.

omg we don't go look around for something that hurts and say 'as jesus suffered'
    if u want to share this pain with jesus along your life like be a servant in church help elderly people and those with permanent illnesses!!!
    not go like pagans cut ourselves and all that..
    i don't mean anything btw sorry if i said something wrong?
  • mnc_hnn, what are you talking about? I was talking about the cross, not cut ourselves, but saying Jesus suffered, it's fine, because the cross reminds me about the suffering, and it shows me that God is always with me no matter what!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • yeah, i agree with coptic servent. because whenever you look at the cross, it reminds you of jesus and how much he suffered for us.
  • I was like born in Egypt but i moved here when i was 6 so i never got one. We are able to go to egypt GOD WILLING sometime and i really want to get one. I think ya'll are right about what it means . I haven't been bak to Egypt scince we moved here. I really have to go back, i have lots of family there! Is everybody coptic orthodox ? :D
  • yeah, i see how you feel, cause i have family in egypt to. i came to egypt when i was 4 and i am 15 now. i hope and pray that i go cause i will def. get one. i hope we go soon. i think most people are coptic orthodox if you mean on this website (correct me if i'm wrong)