Howdy, Stranger!
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Categories
- All Categories 13.8K
- General Category 10.9K
- General Announcements 184
- Faith Issues 3.4K
- Coptic Orthodox Church 2.5K
- Personal Issues 1.4K
- Prayer Requests 426
- Random Issues 1.8K
- Introductions 295
- Non-Orthodox Inquiries 232
- Youth Corner 606
- Hymns 2.6K
- Hymns Discussion 2.6K
- Technicial Difficulties 368
- Technical Topics 368
Meditation
Hey, so I've had this question for quite some time and I'm really interested to hear what you all think and if any fathers of the church addressed this issue.
A couple of my closest friends in class practice meditation (I'm not well versed in this, so I don't know the names of the different kinds). Before exams, they light up candles and set around them stones while playing calming natural music... I think there's incense involved sometimes. On the day of our exams, they take their crystals or stones and tap their pencil 3 times and set the stones in front of them during the test. They usually take my pencil and do the same. I was invited to study at one of their houses and they wanted me to participate with them in this "ritual". I didn't feel comfortable, but I just sat there and said my own prayer.
Honestly, none of this makes me feel comfortable. I don't know whether to think it's ok or not. Part of me wants to believe it's witchcraft the way these "rituals" are performed. I guess I'm just relating this practice to what I see in saint movies: the pagan worshippers lol.
It's not like I've never meditated before. I live by the beach, and when I'm free, I like to spend my own time meditating quietly. I'm just not sure how Orthodoxy perceives this type of meditation with stones, incense, lights...etc. Maybe once I find out the name of it, it'll be easier to ask my question lol
Thanks :)


Comments
i once spent 4 days in america.
walmart was nice, people were friendly.
we have mcdonald's in uk.
i never go there...
:-&I live in a part of the country where they put red sauce on their rice :-& (using the face correctly) and go deer hunting all year round.
(:|
do you mean duh? Haha
oujai khan ebshois