What's going on in NJ?? What is this?

edited November 2014 in Coptic Orthodox Church

Can someone explain to me this story? This is awful. This is what I mean that our Church is too nationalistic. Sometimes what unites us to go to Church isn't Christ, its Egypt - and this is a typical example.

Are these people going to Church because they need Christ? they need to be healed from something?? Well, who am I to judge, but ultimately if I was going because I needed to find God's Grace in my life and I met these people, I'd have been pushed to suicide. 

This is an absolute disgrace.

Comments

• Then 0:15 seconds: this guy is saying "Every sunday like dat". 

Lol.. talk about embarrassing. Why can't he speak English normally? I don't know what's more embarrassing - his accent and poor English, or the fact that there's the same problem every Sunday. 

And then the cop at 0:19 is telling the copts to relax. He cannot figure out why these crazy Egyptians are fighting over a priest when he probably doesn't even go to Church. 

Then the language being used afterwards by the guy in the last few seconds... this is awful. All that for the sake of a priest?? 
  • edited November 2014
    lol. where have you been....this is old news.

Considering how sensitive this situation I will be closing this post while posting a couple of articles:

Papal decree regarding the church is attached
  • edited November 2014
    Also, Bishop Karas response:

++++++++++++++++

The Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America is saddened and dismayed at the actions of those who protested at St. Abanoub and St. Antonious Coptic Orthodox Church in Bayonne, NJ on Sunday, October 12, 2014.

On October 1, 2014, His Holiness Pope Tawadros II issued a Papal Decree reassigning Fr. George Greiss to the Church of Archangel Michael in Anderson, South Carolina and Fr. Rafael Azmy to the church of St. Mary and St. Pishoy in Linden, New Jersey. 

The same decree assigned the Hegumen Rev. Fr. Abraam Sleman to oversee all spiritual, financial and administrative affairs of the Church of St. Abanoub and St. Antonious of Bayonne, New Jersey, while maintaining his services and responsibilities in St. Mark’s Church without change, in accordance to the Papal Decree issued previously on October 21, 2013. The decree also ordered the formation of a new board of deacons for the Church of St. Abanoub and St. Antonious of Bayonne, New Jersey.

A copy of the Papal Decree is Arabic and English is attached hereto.

As servants of the Lord, a;; clergy are to serve wherever we are assigned, in obedience. No attachment can be made to one Church, one State, or even one Country. We are obedient to His Holiness’ decree and we serve our God anywhere we are called upon to serve. “Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.” (Romans 13:1)

As congregants of the Church, we attend the Holy Liturgy to worship God with one heart and one spirit, seeking the Lord’s grace and forgiveness. The actions of those who shouted and protested inside the Church, disrupting the Service, showed no regard for the Holy Eucharist on the Altar. “My house will be called a house of prayer” (Matthew 21:13) and cannot be used as a forum to protest. The actions of the protestors in insulting and cursing in the church and at the clergy is both inappropriate and against Ecclesiastic Law.

I am reminded of Psalm 122, which says, “ I was glad when they said to me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.” While many Christians around the world are struggling to find a place to worship or are being persecuted and martyred for worshiping God, we are thankful to the Lord for allowing us to worship Him in His house. This is something we should not take for granted, but we should be thankful that God made us worthy to stand in His House, to lift up our hands to serve His Holy Name.

• St. Abanoub & St. Antonious Church is in need of many prayers, unity and financial support from its congregation and from other churches. I ask the congregation of St. Abanoub and St. Antonious of Bayonne, NJ to pray for unity and to come to the church with a peaceful and contrite heart, asking the Lord to protect His Church from the wars of the devil and for repentance and forgiveness to all who dishonored His Name by their actions. I ask all Copts to pray for the unity of the Church.

The Archdiocese also condemns inaccurate media reporting and the spreading of false and baseless accusations against its churches and clergy. I urge all media outlets to evaluate their sources before the publication of misleading and inflammatory reports. All churches are one body in Christ working in union towards the salvation of all.

May the Lord protect us and guide us in His way. To our God belongs all Glory, Dominion, Adoration and Worship.

Bishop Karas

General Bishop

Patriarchal Exarch at the Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

++++++++++++++++

This discussion has been closed.