Sainthood

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi guys, bear with me here, I have a question (Could have been asked a trillion times b4).

Ok, so you know how in the Catholic church, in order for a person to be called a saint, the Catholic Pope has to sanction it, and every year he creates a list of saints or something technical to that effect (remember the debate of the sainthood of mother teresa, Pope didn't want it, people did).

Anyways...How is sainthood determined in our church? Especially with the deaths of more contemporary holy men and women?

Comments

• I heard of a 50 year rule or something like that...I dunno im really confused ???
  • I don't know the complete answers to this, but maybe I can fill in some pieces of the puzzle.

1) A council is set up to verify miracles performed by that person. I believe to be a Saint you had to have performed at least one miracle.

2) I believe that there is a 50 year waiting period. Catholics have this as well, but they have been known to waive it under certain occasions. That was the reason for the Mother Theresa debate. Some wanted her to be sainted immediatley while others (including Pope Jean Paul II) wanted to wait the 50 years.

That's really all I know, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Cheers,
    Fadi
  • 1) A council is set up to verify miracles performed by that person. I believe to be a Saint you had to have performed at least one miracle.

Never heard that before... dont know if I could agree with it.
  • About the miracle thing.. I'm not quite sure... I have to look into it.. ???
  • ahhh hehe im so puzzled! I'm deinfately asking my FOC tonite or I wont sleep! <-- im wierd like that :P
  • k so i didnt find my FOC when i went to church but anyways i asked around and theres te Holy Synod (the council) who get together and discuss sainthood after 50 years of the person in questions passing.. Im not sure if this info is true.

I'm really interested in this topic so if anyone out there knows the procedures please post :) thank you