Old Testament VS. New Testament

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey. I'm what I call an "on again/off again" Coptic. Which just basically means, sometimes I'm more in touch with my religious side, and othe times I am more negligent of it. In attempt to learn more about, being Coptic and being a good Christian, I have a question.

The Old Testament portrays God as angry and vengeful towards mankind (due to his disobedience.)

The New Testament portrays Jesus as kind, loving and forgiving.

I am trying to get a better understanding of how to culviate my relationship with God. But it's difficult to do so without knowing the nature of God.

Comments

• God is the same God in the Old Testament and in the New Testament. Our God is a loving, merciful, kind, forgiving, God, and loves us His creation, the works of His hands.
    In the Old Testament, God forgave the people of the city of Nineveh, even though they were a gentile nation and don’t even believe in Him, yet because of their humility and their true repentance, God was merciful and forgave them
    God also forgave David, even though he sinned many times, yet God loved Him so much, he even said he was a man after His own heart.
    “For You, Lord are good, and ready to forgive, and abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You” Psalm 86:5
    “With everlasting kindness I will have mercy on you, says the Lord, your redeemer” Isaiah 54:8
    The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. (Ex 34:6-7)
    I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me. I will rejoice in doing them good and will assuredly plant them in this land with all my heart and soul. (Jer 32:40-41)
    Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea. (Micah 7:18-19)

Yes in the old testament God did take “more revenge” than in the new testament, yet it was not because He is an “angry God” it is because He loves His children, “My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those He loves, as a father the son he delights in.”(Proverbs 3:11-12)