What does the water throwing mean?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I’m new here, and I’ve learned a lot from the discussions that have been posted up, however I’ve been wondering you know when church is about to end, and abona would throw water at everyone, it’s a great blessing but I don’t really know why he does this. If anyone has an answer it would be great, thanks to all.

Marian

Comments

• hi and wellcome at the web site.
    actuly the water have a lot of meaning in our great charch
    it mean the blessing and it a samble of the paptism.
    and in the old testament we see our profits they were pray to god for the rain which is the water and when god give the rain it means the blessing of God.
    and if any body know more please tell us thanks
    pray for mwe
  • Definetly like emprocious said, water is a symbol of baptism and purification. As we say in pslam 50, "You shall sprinkle me with Your hyssop and I shall be purified, You shall wash me and I shall be made whiter than snow"
  • Dear Mary202,

This is a good point you raised. I believe the preceeding comments were good comments. There is also the fact that the priest had just finished touching the body of Christ. By pouring water into his hand and sprinkling it on the people, he is giving them the blessing from the Holy communion. That is why you can't just have a little spray mechanism (spray bottle) to spray the water. Through the touching of the water by the priest's hand, he is giving us a blessing.

I hope this answered your question.

Avvaantoni
  • i asked my priest a similar question...

He said that the water is blessed and prayed on - like the water at home when a priests visits your house, prays on a cup of water than sprinkles your home.

The reason it's that water is because its been present throughout the entire mass, and is the same water used to baptize the bread that would soon become the Body of our Lord... so that's definately blessed water...

Hope that helped.

take care, God bless and pray for me
  • Very good point crazycopt! I think that makes the most sense, I mean..not taking away from any of the other answers' values...but I'm just saying that's the one that's most logical to me.
  • u guys r so smart lol
  • These are GREAT answers, keep them comming. Thought I would share mine with you as well.
    In the early church, the priest would bless the congregation by laying hands on them. As the congregation grew, this became a lot harder task than anticipated so they use water as a "delevery method" for the blessing.
    Same with Giving the Baraka at the end, its intention is not just to give you a piece from the Hamal (the orban that the body of Christ was choosen from) but so that the priest would see, face to face, the congregation and welcome new members, or ask about those who didn't show up.
    Just my 2 cents
  • [quote author=mazza link=board=1;threadid=1475;start=0#msg23966 date=1113983908]
    u guys r so smart lol

lol amen mazza gr8 stuff guys thnx

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • My priest still lays his hand on everyone single person in the church and then goes back and sprays everyone. Its like receiving a double blessing. Some advantages to having a relatively small congregation. :)
  • thanks everyone, thats some great stuff. If i got anymore questions i'll be coming back to bug u really soon ;)
  • [quote author=DKaldas link=board=1;threadid=1475;start=0#msg24109 date=1114190900]
    My priest still lays his hand on everyone single person in the church and then goes back and sprays everyone. Its like receiving a double blessing. Some advantages to having a relatively small congregation. :)

KOOLIES

hehe good stuff mary

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • thats so kool, i always thought that only the deacons servin in the mass would have abouna lay his hand on u - lucki things :)
  • yar same here o no w8 i got it dun a couple of tyms hehe im so dumb lol anyways

GB ALL
    +FROG+