Will we have musical instruments in Heaven?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I know this is a random question, but if one knows how to play the violin, or flute, or any instrument, and they use it to praise God, will they carry that instrument with them in Heaven? I  once heard a story of a monk who had a bad voice, and was very weak in tasbeha. He was a talented flute player so he went in front of the icon of Saint Mary and started to play Tamgeed for her and she started to cry in the photo. So musical instruments are a acceptable form of prayer and praise for Christ, so will we get to carry talents and specific instruments with us?

Comments

• I think this is a question that we can safely say is a mystery while in the flesh, but will be revealed once we're united eternally with our Lord. Regardless of how many blog/forum posts, or how many fathers attempted to answer it, nothing can bring us to a full understanding until we're there.

It's also important to remember (whether this story is true or not) that what happens here on earth is for spiritual edification, and doesn't necessarily mean the same praxis will be followed in heaven. So when we hear of such stories, it is the merciful God who in His kindness utilized whatever we have or what we're doing to make us aware of his love and mercy.

Perhaps this monk grew in the spirit and relied less on the instrument and more on his voice and heart. But at a stage where he needed to know God through his simple intentions, God follows the intention with revelation and revelation with spiritual growth.

I think, ultimately, we ought to focus on heaven as an eternal doxology, or unity, and mystical awareness with God that goes beyond our lucid imaginations as Abouna Matta el meskeen put it. Not so much how we're going to do it but how to get there first.

interesting question though
  • I agree with what you're saying Tobit. I guess we just have to wait  :-\