Need soon translation in English please!

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hey guys :)

My abouna needs the translation of '3end shaq el fegr bakir' in English (the one i found at the net isn't correct) and 'wast el ba7r el hayeg'  and 'einta enta ya rabi (where are u oh my lord). I need if before next sunday, could someone plz help me? Thanks!

GBU

Comments

• define: "isn't correct"?! how do you define a good translation of a song...
  • A good translation of a song is NOT Protestant.  ;)

Second the English translation of Very early Sunday morning is Protestant. If you want details, I can explain. I think the Arabic translation is also Protestant (although I don't have proof that it actually came from a Protestant church.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=14460.msg164905#msg164905 date=1370036167]
    A good translation of a song is NOT Protestant.  ;)

Second the English translation of Very early Sunday morning is Protestant. If you want details, I can explain. I think the Arabic translation is also Protestant (although I don't have proof that it actually came from a Protestant church.

I would like some details please!

God Bless
  • http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/index.php?a=view&id=898
    this one is the one i have seen used most.

ok you can say 'my salvation He declared' doesn't emphasize the continuing nature of salvation, but i would not say it is 'protestant'.
    i prefer the arabic words (the 50% i understand) but i can't comment if the other 50% are protestant!
    the english translation is not very close to the arabic original.
  • [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=14460.msg164903#msg164903 date=1370032722]

My abouna needs the translation of '3end shaq el fegr bakir' in English (the one i found at the net isn't correct) and 'wast el ba7r el hayeg'  and 'einta enta ya rabi (where are u oh my lord). I need if before next sunday, could someone plz help me? Thanks!

GBU

tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/2442
  • mabsoota, you hit one example on the nail and it is Protestant. Salvation in a moment is a Protestant heresy. If one doesn't firmly proclaim this, then one must read HH Pope Shenouda's book "The Heresy of Salvation in a moment".

Now look at the line, "The angels were singing welcoming our glorious Lord" Really? What imagery does that show? A happy welcoming home party for Jesus? This is what you find in Protestantism. Where is the fact that the angels cannot even look at Him because of the magnificence of His glory, much less act as if they are equals returning from separate paths?

Second, what is the point of the Resurrection? It is not simply to make me strong or work on my emotions. This hymn has many parts emphasizing fear, mourning, tears, disbelief and how Jesus fixes all that. There is no Orthodox theology. There is no mention of the Second Adam since most Protestants don't believe the first Adam was real. There is no mention of fulfilling any prophecy because fulfilling a 1000 year old prophecy doesn't make one happy or emotional charged. There is no mention of the Trinity in Resurrection. Let's not blind our eyes with emotionally charged songs that have little substance.

Third, there are obvious Scripture errors. Mary Magdalene did not look for Christ in the garden. She came to the tomb carrying fragrant oil to anoint the body. While she was crying Christ found her, not the other way around. And she did not tell the disciples, "He is risen. He is not here." The angel told that to the women. And what story did the angel tell? I don't see any story-telling angels in the scriptures. The angels weren't there to tell a story. They were sent to declare the Resurrection. They were sent to debunk the Pharisees' and Roman guards' claim that Christ's body was stolen. And what is "the thorns of death"? Is death a flower or a rose? The Scriptures say the "O death, where is your sting" alluding to the super-human power death has over human finality and human mortality. Death is not a desirable object that happens to inconveniently pricks you and all Christ needed to do was break the little thorns off death. 

And finally, since when did we become so anti-intellectual that we allow a song that has bad grammar? Verbs do not come after nouns in English. Ever. One cannot allow poetic license to the point that we can't even recognize minimum standards. If poetic license permits songs like this, then one cannot argue that rap is impermissible in the Orthodox church. And by conjecture, Evangelical worship would be granted the same poetic license.

The other song "In the midst of the raging sea" is exponentially worse.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=14460.msg164918#msg164918 date=1370102466]
    The other song "In the midst of the raging sea" is exponentially worse.

I am still waiting for this  ;D.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=14460.msg164916#msg164916 date=1370089461]
    http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/index.php?a=view&id=898
    this one is the one i have seen used most.

ok you can say 'my salvation He declared' doesn't emphasize the continuing nature of salvation, but i would not say it is 'protestant'.
    i prefer the arabic words (the 50% i understand) but i can't comment if the other 50% are protestant!
    the english translation is not very close to the arabic original.

Mabsoota, that is exactly what i meant. The words in the arabic hymn are different then the English one. Mena, that is what i meant by the transalation is not correct. The meaning is totally different and i need exactly the same transalation in English of the Arabic version.

The Arabic version of Very Early sunday morning says:
    http://st-takla.org/Lyrics-Spiritual-Songs/06-Coptic-Taraneem-Kalemat_Ein-Ghein-Feh/3end-Shak-Al-Fagr-Baker.html

Fonetic:
    3end shaq el fegr bakir fi saba7 el a7ad
    Kama rab el megd nasir sha3baho el abadi

Ref:
    Anta doest el mauwta wa7dek ya yasou3a el nasirie
    Moziharan lel 5alg megdek bel gamal el bahiri

2. Kasr el mauwta galaloe Da7rag* el sa5r el kebeer
    Min 3ala el qabr(i)*gamaloe Bana bil nour el 5atier

If anyone is able to give me the transalation of this version i would be happy.
    If you can't read arabic, tell me then i will write the rest of the hymn in fonetic.

The other song i would like the transalation of is :
    http://st-takla.org/Lyrics-Spiritual-Songs/01-Coptic-Taraneem-Kalemat_Alef/Ayna-Anta-Ya-Rabby.html

Eina anta ya rabi.
  • [quote author=childofaKing link=topic=14460.msg164917#msg164917 date=1370094773]
    [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=14460.msg164903#msg164903 date=1370032722]

GBU

tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/2442

Thank u child of a king, God bless you :) .
  • Ok i tried to transalate "Eina enta ya rabi", but could someone correct me please?
    English is not my native language  :-X

Thanks.

Where are you O my Lord make me know your ways
    And how much it costs me I will not deny you

Refrain:
    Indeed I know that your ways are full of setbacks
    But with you O my Lord I can bear the pain

For your are the life and the way and the truth
    Learn me to live with you in you O Lord forever

For you overcame the World and the devil and sin
    Where are you o my Lord grant me your rich Gifts

And how long I’m alive wordly worries are never mine
    You are the one who carries my worries my sorrow and my suffering

In arabic it says: http://st-takla.org/Lyrics-Spiritual-Songs/01-Coptic-Taraneem-Kalemat_Alef/Ayna-Anta-Ya-Rabby.html

Einta anta ya rabi 3arefni tari2ak
    we mahma da kalifni mish raye7 legheerek

3aref ine tariekaka malyanan bel ashwak
    lakin m3ak ya rabi tehoun kol el alamat

Da anta howa el tarie2 we el 7a2 wel 7ayah
    Daribni kay a7ya fiek we dawibni fi sanyak

La inek ghalabt el 3alam we el sheytan we el 5ateya
    Einta enta ya rabi hibni tilk el 3ateya

We mahma tal 3omri el donya mish hatdomli
    Da anta ili 7amal hemie we 7ozni we kol alami
  • Ok guys, could you please check soon wheter this transalation is correct or not? I need it today. Sorry for the haste, but i appreciate it a lot! Much thanks :)

1. Very early Sunday (3end shaq el fegr bakir)
    On early Sunday morning  when the sun just went up
    The Lord is risen and granted his people salvation

You have conquered death O Jesus of Nazareth
    And Your Glory proclaimed because you have saved your people

Jesus trampled Hades the angel shifted the Stone
    He appeared full of light and power   there is no one so great

He’s risen from the dead and gave us new life
    The master of all Gods has elevated us with himself

The devil is defeated by the Lord bound by the Lord
    Christ rose after three days and defeated our sins

O you rock of ages that has lightened our paths
    You have dispelled the darkness with your swords of light

By your resurrection people saw the true faith
    Truly you are risen when the angel moved the stone

The armies of heaven praise their Lord forever
    Their praises sounded even louder their singing was magnificent

We saw your power full glory by your Resurrection
    You granted your people victory  and your government as heritage 

• You all are taking the Protestant translation thing way too far. Yes some things are Protestant but the imagery about the angels for instance isn't absolute blasphemy nor is it inappropriate to sing in the church...I know the person who translated "Very Early Sunday Morning" and she made it intentionally a much happier, more upbeat translation than the Arabic to reflect the joy of the Resurrection. It wasn't meant to directly translate what the Arabic said. It was meant to reflect the happiness of the mood of the Resurrection and it emphasizes it heavily while the Arabic does not.
  • Even listen to this. One of the most strict priests I know said that he prefers the English because the Arabic's meaning is too complex (I know him personally as well). Fr. Yohanna Nassif - عند شق الفجر باكر