Aki or aktonk, etc...

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
When (exact dates or times of coptic days months) are we supposed to say "aki," "aktonk," "avashk," etc...

From what day in the coptic calendar do we first begin saying it up until which day

Comments

• Do you have a copy of the southern liturgy book?
  • Aktonk- Everyday during the Holy 50 Days, Every Sunday from Pentecost until Kiahk and the 29th of Every Month (Aktonk usually overrides other occasions. For example, if there is a funeral or wedding during the Holy 50 days, you say aktonk. Also, you say aktonk on the 29th of the month instead of avmask or aki)
    Avmask- Christmas until Feast of Epiphany
    Akechioms- Feast of Epiphany
    Avashk- Feasts of the Cross, General Funeral of Holy Week up to and including Bright Saturday Liturgy (even during Lakkan and Holy Thursday Liturgy) and during funerals
    Aki- Every other day

Please make sure I included everything/everything is correct. I am doing this from my own memory.
  • Thanks.  I sort of knew when to say which, but i got confused because i heard in alsheia on saturday evening (for sunday liturgy) where  we said aki, but the next day in liturgy we said aktonk... So i guess my real question is should saturday evening alsheia follow the rites of the sunday liturgy that follows it (as in saying aki or aktonk, and to extend upon my question, chanting the Adam or Watos intro for the verses of cymbals)
  • [quote author=CopticFighter link=topic=13753.msg160376#msg160376 date=1349728158]
    Thanks.  I sort of knew when to say which, but i got confused because i heard in alsheia on saturday evening (for sunday liturgy) where  we said aki, but the next day in liturgy we said aktonk... So i guess my real question is should saturday evening alsheia follow the rites of the sunday liturgy that follows it (as in saying aki or aktonk, and to extend upon my question, chanting the Adam or Watos intro for the verses of cymbals)

And another question on top of that would be the Midnight Praises before the Sunday Liturgy, Aki or Aktonk?
  • [quote author=drilago99 link=topic=13753.msg160378#msg160378 date=1349729785]
    [quote author=CopticFighter link=topic=13753.msg160376#msg160376 date=1349728158]
    Thanks.  I sort of knew when to say which, but i got confused because i heard in alsheia on saturday evening (for sunday liturgy) where  we said aki, but the next day in liturgy we said aktonk... So i guess my real question is should saturday evening alsheia follow the rites of the sunday liturgy that follows it (as in saying aki or aktonk, and to extend upon my question, chanting the Adam or Watos intro for the verses of cymbals)

And another question on top of that would be the Midnight Praises before the Sunday Liturgy, Aki or Aktonk?

Aktonk
  • [quote author=CopticFighter link=topic=13753.msg160376#msg160376 date=1349728158]

Aktonk, and we should chant the watos verses of cymbals and do not ask me why. I asked and never got an answer.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13753.msg160382#msg160382 date=1349736376]
    [quote author=CopticFighter link=topic=13753.msg160376#msg160376 date=1349728158]

Aktonk, and we should chant the watos verses of cymbals and do not ask me why. I asked and never got an answer.

we say watos and aki at my Church during Sunday Vespers
  • A relationship between vespers and liturgy of the next day. It's a mix of what is to be said and the rite it is being said in. That's why, the rite for a sunday liturgy is commemorating the Resurrection always (except between Christmas and Easter) adn that's why we must say aktonk on saturday night. that's why we chant in festive tune when there is a feast in the next day and do a procession and do and say other things that have to do with the right of the next day.