Alcohol in the Bible

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I have often heard the argument in the coptic church that the bible forbids alcohol and that everytime wine is mentioned in a favourable light, it is actually talking about grape juice (abarka). This seems like a very willy-nilly baseless argument.

They argue that the 'proof' is that at the wedding of canaa, the wine that jesus made was non alcoholic and that's why the groom noticed a difference. This is an even worse argument because if someone is somewhat drunk, the only thing they would notice is an alcoholic drink that's even stronger.

I have a feeling that the reason the coptic church is so vehemently opposed to alcohol is more cultural than religious. Alcohol is not a big deal in the other orthodox churches. What do you think?

Comments

• habiby... Alcohol is one of the greatest drugs out there, if used right... the bible does not oppose alcohol, and the church doesn’t either, the church does not support being drunk... but that is it. So if you can control yourself, and not get drunk (which is impossible, I am a good person to ask) go ahead and drink, if you can’t, then don’t. (Period)

Back in the days the water was dirty, so they had to drink wine, it was that or drink dirty water and get sick. And by the way abarka has alcohol in it, its not just Grape juice.
  • Remember that when Christ was tempted in the wilderness, He was tempted by the Bible, and by the Word, the devil can take a verse and convince you that it supports your lust and make you lose....

Be careful, the devil is of thousands of years of experience, you have declared war in baptism when you yelled out, "I hate you", the devil wants to fight and the only way you can win the battle is if you bring your Father.

Mike
  • The matter is very simple. We have John the Baptist who did not drink at all, as propheised. St. Paul wh said a little wine for your stomach. And most importantly Jesus who turned water into wine in the wedding of Canna of Glilee. Also Jesus said concerning Himself, that he shall not drink of this Cup till Hes with us once again. Now if we know anything about Jewish customs, its this....they possibly love their wine more than French people and Italians combined. lol. Don't be drunk cause being drunk can lead to sins with no end and that canot be counted. Thats all the Church says. And even the abarka has a fair alcholic concentration in it. If your from Canada or the States, most abarka is bought directly for the Jewish Passover Wine Federation (I'll check that name again, but I'm sure thats what its called) and thats 12.5%alco.
  • Dear brothers and sisters,

I would like to speak on behalf of the deacons regarding this point. As stated in 1 Timothy 3:8-10.

"Likewise deacons must be reverent, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy for money, holding the mystery of the faith with a pure conscience. But let these also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons, being found blameless."

We deacons must not be given to much wine. As for all I believe that a little wine is not harmful, just do not let it become your life. In fact it is proven that a little wine is healthy for you. But just be careful though. Try to fast from it if you can.

Your brother:

Avvaantoni
  • people people, you're looking into this waaay too much. On holidays when you're celebrating with your family and you open up a wine bottle, thats not wrong!! if you go to a bar and drink 20 shots of whiskey, thats wrong! see the difference?
  • i think the point has been made quite clearly: anything with MODERATION is good for you...unless it's clearly stated that whatever it is ur doing is WRONG in the bible, cause then it's a whole new ball game.
  • Remember that when Christ was tempted in the wilderness, He was tempted by the Bible, and by the Word, the devil can take a verse and convince you that it supports your lust and make you lose....

Nice ;)